If You Ever Want To Know...

Old Dog

^ Agreed Darrell.  I came to this site being right on the edge of believing.  The longer I stay here the more skeptical I become.  Stories of hearing a bump in the night and being adamant that the bump is a BF with no other corroborating evidence has made me doubt more and more stories.  You've heard the same stories I have.  There is always the "it was a real loud bump", "the bump had to be made by a huge set of lungs", "I could feel the bump in my chest" and my favorite "you had to be there" bump.  I've heard a lot of bumps in the night too.  They were loud and sometimes you could feel the sound.  But no one was there with me, so who's to say whose bump was louder?  I'm not attributing the bumps I've heard to BF.  It makes people look foolish, and it seems people are entertained when others look foolish, therefore it makes the weird news section.  I'm looking forward to the documentaries with Sykes, he seems more credible and hopefully brings forth new evidence besides bumps.

Anything and everything in the Huff Post that's posted under "Weird News" immediately attracts the sociopathic naysayers. 

"Weird News" can be loosely translated as "In Denial."

If "coming across as weird" means - and I think it does - "subscribing to this idea which I deny," well I think we have identified the problem, Doctor.

^ Agreed Darrell.  I came to this site being right on the edge of believing.  The longer I stay here the more skeptical I become.  Stories of hearing a bump in the night and being adamant that the bump is a BF with no other corroborating evidence has made me doubt more and more stories.  You've heard the same stories I have.  There is always the "it was a real loud bump", "the bump had to be made by a huge set of lungs", "I could feel the bump in my chest" and my favorite "you had to be there" bump.  I've heard a lot of bumps in the night too.  They were loud and sometimes you could feel the sound.  But no one was there with me, so who's to say whose bump was louder?  I'm not attributing the bumps I've heard to BF.  It makes people look foolish, and it seems people are entertained when others look foolish, therefore it makes the weird news section.  I'm looking forward to the documentaries with Sykes, he seems more credible and hopefully brings forth new evidence besides bumps.

I try never to blame the animal's nonexistence on the people looking for it.

There is more than enough evidence that the tales that turn you off simply roll off me like water off a duck.  Eyes on the evidence, always.  Um, Science?  You've had decades to tell me what the evidence represents.  Still waiting;  that's your job.

Guest Darrell

It means it is weird! as in not mainstream, as in kooky.  Thats the craziness with the bigfoot cult, you all think the universe revolves around bigfoot and if someone doesnt accept your belief system we are all in denial. that is so much crap! 

If "coming across as weird" means - and I think it does - "subscribing to this idea which I deny," well I think we have identified the problem, Doctor.

I try never to blame the animal's nonexistence on the people looking for it.

There is more than enough evidence that the tales that turn you off simply roll off me like water off a duck.  Eyes on the evidence, always.  Um, Science?  You've had decades to tell me what the evidence represents.  Still waiting;  that's your job.

^^ Sure, and if your intent is to hoax, then by all means go to the media.  They will eat it up and put it on right after sports and have a good laugh about it before Leno comes on.  If you are trying to actually convince people, you need something better than a rug, a Wookie mask and stories of bumps.  Until there is more hard evidence, physical evidence, the topic will continue to be the punchline it currently is.

^ But it is ALL part of the body of evidence.  At what point do you decide what is wheat and what is chaff?  Especially if we are trying to turn heads and get attention (interest, funding etc) from people who are not as versed in the phenomenon as you are, or even someone with less familiarity such as myself - where do they separate this wheat and chaff?  They don't - they look at the weird news and toss it all aside - are they throwing out the proverbial baby with the bathwater?  Possibly, but when we give them nothing but muddy water to start off with, we are doing ourselves no favors. 

Well, being rational is considering evidence.  Which just ain't likely when it's filed under Weird News. 

Scientists prize their reputations, and few of them are gonna surf that crap.  Fortunately, some do.  But they aren't going to make much headway when no one, statistically, is actually looking.  Even NAWAC can't put in enough field time for anyone to expect they would have been successful by now.

Weird News - and the media's tendency to march in lockstep with the mainstream instead of taking on its investigatory role and seriously questioning their lack of effort - is the main reason we don't know what's causing all this evidence yet.

^^ Sure, and if your intent is to hoax, then by all means go to the media.  They will eat it up and put it on right after sports and have a good laugh about it before Leno comes on.  If you are trying to actually convince people, you need something better than a rug, a Wookie mask and stories of bumps.  Until there is more hard evidence, physical evidence, the topic will continue to be the punchline it currently is.

^ But it is ALL part of the body of evidence.  At what point do you decide what is wheat and what is chaff?  Especially if we are trying to turn heads and get attention (interest, funding etc) from people who are not as versed in the phenomenon as you are, or even someone with less familiarity such as myself - where do they separate this wheat and chaff?  They don't - they look at the weird news and toss it all aside - are they throwing out the proverbial baby with the bathwater?  Possibly, but when we give them nothing but muddy water to start off with, we are doing ourselves no favors. 

Well, the problem with sussing wheat from chaff is that we don't have a standard, here, for what 'wheat' is.  And I have a funny feeling "we" will continue to do "ourselves" no favors, because the "we" will always contain strange bedfellows (e.g., Biscardis and Ketchums) with whom the serious component of "we" would rather not deal.

When I'm looking at a video, I'm looking for evidence of three things:  (1) a suit; (2) human body proportions; (3) human movements.   Witnesses are adamant - and consistent - about the absence of these things.  If I see any of those three things, I toss it.  History tells me that particular video isn't gonna take us anywhere.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll find out about it.  If not, no skin off mine; life is too short.

When I'm listening to or reading a story....well, I recognize that any story is just that, and worth no more than that unless there's more evidence to show me.  Some seem more compelling to me than others, but a story is still just a story.

I think it's an animal; and any piece of evidence I review that appears, just to me now, to be evidence of that animal goes "on the pile" of evidence that hasn't been debunked and awaits either further analysis or field confirmation.

It means it is weird! as in not mainstream, as in kooky.  

So in your world everything that is not considered (by you) to be "mainstream",  is kooky?

Talk about kooky!

Edited by LarryP

Well, being rational is considering evidence.  Which just ain't likely when it's filed under Weird News. 

You may wish to take that up with the MSM, of which Huffington is a major player. It seems your issue is with the vast majority of the public's opinion of things bigfoot.

Might I suggest a campaign upon Huffington comparable to your barrage of postings, here, and that you carry your campaign to the masses? I know you're up to the task.

If anyone here thinks the skeptics or scoftics on BFF are difficult to put up with, just go to another forum that has nothing to do with cryptic creatures.  I frequent a college football forum and any mention of BF there immediately brings 99% of the members there calling you crazy.  It it something that is simply not taken seriously - by mainstream science, by media (they use BF stories as fluff/humorous general interest) and most people in general. 

HROT?

Can we really blame the 'uneducated' masses on this one?

When 'regular folks' cross paths with anything bigfoot related it rarely would leave a positive impression.

The tide could well turn in just under 9 days time however. Finally science tackles this subject, on prime time TV no less, and won't leave us all looking vaguely ridiculous.

You may wish to take that up with the MSM, of which Huffington is a major player. It seems your issue is with the vast majority of the public's opinion of things bigfoot.

Might I suggest a campaign upon Huffington comparable to your barrage of postings, here, and that you carry your campaign to the masses? I know you're up to the task.

No place that isn't specifically discussing this topic on a more or less full-time basis is a worthwhile place to bring it.  No thankee.

The vast majority of public opinion on this is unsullied by facts.  I'd rather talk in places in which the facts at least come up from time to time, and are at least respected by some of those who post.

If you ever want to know why more people don't report their suspected BF experiences.  If you wonder why many people keep it all to themselves, just take a look at the responses to this article on the Erickson Project that have been posted on Huffington Post.  Kind of says it all as to why people keep quiet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/02/bigfoot-exists-say-researchers_n_4032364.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news

Keeping it to themselves out of ridicule, and proffering contrived footage are two totally separate issues.  People should be embarrassed to put forth crap like what AE is putting out there.  BF is real, but this footage, unfortunately, is not.

No place that isn't specifically discussing this topic on a more or less full-time basis is a worthwhile place to bring it.  No thankee.

The vast majority of public opinion on this is unsullied by facts.  I'd rather talk in places in which the facts at least come up from time to time, and are at least respected by some of those who post.

What are the "facts?"