How Did All This Start With You?

Midnight Owl

I actually saw the cryptid giant bird. The OP reports a loud splash near their boat. He did not witness the culprit, but assigns it to "bigfoot." Do you see a difference, there?

You're absolutely correct and my apologies; obviously failed reading comprehension 101 this morning. I inadvertantly combined your report with one from Incorrigible1 as I rushed through these reports. Doh!

And yes, another thread for your bird sighitng seems in order! Wow.

No  problem, GK.

I will start a thread about giant birds in the Cryptozoology section.

That was my first encounter with an enormous bird. The other one occurred many years later and was not scary at all, just amazing.

My apologies to Midnight Owl if I partially derailed this thread.

Of course. My post was not to offend, but merely to point out what I find charmingly humorous about this site in general. Someone who claims to have seen a cryptid giant bird is disounting the statement of a person who credits a thrown rock to an unseen, unclassified primate. Equally absurd IMHO, and a conversation of a type only found here. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Have a good night.

I actually saw the cryptid giant bird. The OP reports a loud splash near their boat. He did not witness the culprit, but assigns it to "bigfoot." Do you see a difference, there?

Had not thought about this topic at all since the 70s until I saw MonsterQuest and Bigfoot: Science meets Legend.  That piqued my interest a little so I bought a book or two, read them.  Interesting, but nothing "hooking" me yet.  

Then a TV that shall remain unnamed came on.  They did a good job of consolidating regional or statewide reports. I thought that they would actually produce some credible evidence over the course of a season.  One of the reported encounters happened to be near where I live, so I MapQuested it, drove up there and looked around.  I'll just say that the characterization of the area was not accurate.  Don't know that the report was false, but if I were investigating that report, there'd be a lot more details run to ground.  Then the next week, they decided that the best way to encounter a shy, nocturnal, highly-adapted creature that knows humans are in the woods before they get there was to run through a parcel of land carrying torches and yelling in the dark.  OK. At that point, I figured out that if I wanted to have any type of rational, neutral analysis of encounters, I'd pretty much have to do it myself.  

I doubt that I'll ever encounter a bigfoot.  I've found out that a high percentage of "researchers" are reincarnated snake-oil salesmen who are only missing their carnival wagon and bottles of Dr. Good's (whatever that is).  After reading and disecting almost 500 reports, I believe there's a critter out there.  If not, a lot of creative writers missed their calling - they're creating all these fictional encounters for free when they could be making good money concocting letters to the Penthouse Forum and getting paid. 

For me it was the combination of the "In Search of" with Leonard Nimoy, the BF "documentary" with Peter Grves as the narrator, first seeing the PGF, and a book called "Strange Stories and Amazing Facts". All occured the early to mid-70's and 've been hooked ever since. I didn't see "Legend of Bogey Creek" until the early 80's when we got our first video rental store in town.

I think we all eventually fit into a comfort zone as adults.  When something happens that rocks us out of that zone, we tend to rebel against it.

I think that some folks may be this way about the Bigfoot/Sasquatch phenomenon.  To think that something that big, powerful and quick lurks out there is more than they want to/or willing accept.  For those of us who unexpectedly stumbled into an encounter, we had absolutely no choice about this. 

I was fortunate enough to have later seen one at a distance through binoculars.  I can't imagine what it must be like for a person to be totally unaware, then be standing right there in front of one!!  That has to be at the top of emotional stress for sure!!  Probably one reason some never talk about it...

• Upvote 1

It jumped in front of me on a rural back road this past May, 2013.

A couple of days later I found out that there have been several sightings in my area in the past 12 months.

Two weeks later it responded loud and clear to my brother in law's calls.  We heard it together.

Talked to a bunch of people locally about it and heard some good stories back.

Late Auguest, someone we were camping with saw it close to us in our backyard.

It's taken until Halloween for me to come to some sort of peace with it and my surroundings here in this valley. 

I am happy to report that as of tonight, I have returned to a normal feeling while enjoying our beautiful outdoor life.

Let it be.

Hello Hammer102492,

Good story. And letting it be is a good way to maybe allow a family(s) to exist someday. Besides It's hands down the BEST Halloween costume in the area!

Edited by hiflier

I saw a skunk ape at age 14 back in 1983 on the Wekiwa River in Florida. It was close enough to not mistake it(about 20 yards). It was either a skunk ape or a bipedal orangutan with 5 toe human like feet that can run upright. It changes you. You question everything you thought to be true. And to this day I will not go into the woods unless I'm armed with at least a .357 mag.

Thanks for stories, I love to hear how other folks were exposed to this phenomenon. It is quite different out there in real life looking at something that is not supposed to exist by most people's standards. What really bugs me is not one government agency or government funded agency has any official program to study or collect data on this. It is all left up to private concerns at this point.

Up until the time my kids talked me into getting cable, I did'nt give much  thought to bigfoot . After awhile I would go out to the living room and scan all these new channels I was previously unfamiliar with and I became drawn to channels like,The History Channel.  I became very interested in any of the mysterious and unknown creature programs. I would especially be interested in hearing of witness accounts of encounters with such creatures,and I started thinking there must be a lot more to this mystery. I guess I had always thought of bigfoots as being just a mythical beast, if I ever even thought of them at all. I became more and more interested and on occasion would ask friends or family about what they thought of the existence of bigfoots and if they had ever had any experiences with them. My sister reminded me of her experience when we were pretty young...I was 5 or 6 and she was 8 or 9. I thought about it once in a great while, but I think I was so traumatized by the whole thing, that I did'nt want to believe it.                                                                                      My family and I were at some overnight camp spot somewhere in Eastern Washington (My mother said she thought it was a place called Priest River? This is what I remember...we were down by the shore of the river and for some reason our dog was trying to swim across this river.I cannot figure why she was in it, as it seemed so wide and very fast and turbulent ,I remember seeing some logs jammed over near the other side and it looked like she was trying to get on them, but it also looked like she was going under sometimes too. We were screaming and crying and yelling for her to come back...I remember she was really struggling . Somehow she made it! Later on in the day I was at the camp area with my parents and my sister was at this little creek not too far from us, when she came running and screaming into camp and she was telling us that she could feel the ground thumping ,and that she saw a really big, hairy man standing on the other side of the creek just looking at her. I was terrified! I remember crying and telling  my parents I wanted to go home and running to the car and getting down on the floor board. I was in no way going to get out of that car "til we were home. I was such a big baby when it came to monsters when I was little, that I probably drove my poor mother crazy. I think she finally convinced me they were'nt real and I'm sure I suppressed most of those memories for years. I had a couple of my own experiences that I posted on here already. I am convinced that with so many sightings and encounters out there that most of them are genuine.           

Hello Midnight Owl,

...What really bugs me is not one government agency or government funded agency has any official program to study or collect data on this....

I firmly think that there is agency within the either the BLM, FWS, or the NFS that does take this seriously and that it's internal policy is different than those agencies' public policy. Not uncommon in gov.

Edited by hiflier

Thanks for stories, I love to hear how other folks were exposed to this phenomenon. It is quite different out there in real life looking at something that is not supposed to exist by most people's standards. What really bugs me is not one government agency or government funded agency has any official program to study or collect data on this. It is all left up to private concerns at this point.

That's what happens when there's no proof........

Hello Incorrigible1,

A true statement if there ever was one. Proof is a hard thing to come by with stuff like this. BTW I am looking a bit harder and your large bird story. Is it possible that a Roc nest is still out there? I need to dig deeper for sure but you don't come across as someone who sees things that aren't there at all so I'm taking you seriously at your word. Perhaps the Argentavis?

Edited by hiflier