Sasquatch On The Roads

hiflier

Hello JiggyPotamus,

I am indeed suggesting that Sasquatch trails are older than the roads that they are seen on for the most part. Now we all know that generalizing is the easy route to take so of course there will be variables. One variable at least is the movement of younger generations away from established areas who could be now active on some older roads. So older AND newer roads are part of this idea. Newer roads may end up going through older trails and older roads may be visited by newer generations.

This idea initially was hatched when I read about new sightings on a new road. There isn't a way really to establish the point of Sasquatch routes being older OR newer but the subject I thought was okay enough to bring up for discussion. New Sasquatch kicked out of a "nest" could go onto new roads in other words. My own thinking though is leaning toward a new road through it's habitat gets laid down across a web of pre-established Sasquatch routes though.

Edited by hiflier

Well it should be noted that the large percentage of road sightings is not necessarily due to a larger number of sasquatch being near roads than anywhere else, but rather they are due to the larger percentage of potential observers on the road. I think it was to be expected that there would have been a flood of sightings when logging and road building really took off decades ago, and this is what seems to have occurred. Before that time, you didn't really have all that many people going out in those remote locations, at least not in large numbers.

I am not certain as to whether your suggestion is correct, but it could be I suppose. Maybe the sasquatch begin using "trails" where roads are being built, before the asphalt is laid down. So when these roads truly are just dirt "trails." I have always maintained that sasquatch are not only to be found in extremely remote areas. Granted, the larger numbers of them will be found there, but they do venture out into areas near where people live. And even if they do prefer traversing forested regions that offer more cover, surely there are times when they would prefer a straight shot, without any impediments to their progress, and thus the actually travel on or near roads.

And then there is the fact that there are many roads in sasquatch territory. It would be impossible for them to get to certain areas without crossing roads. Plus, they probably cross roads all the time, but I would bet they still haven't gotten used to vehicles. Some reports suggest that sasquatch have trouble judging the speed of these vehicles, or at least that is how I would interpret some of these reports. They just seem to behave strangely near roads, crossing near the most inopportune times. Of course the most inopportune time would be the time that got them hit, so I say "near" the most inopportune times. I mean people should not be seeing sasquatch crossing roads, if the sasquatch would just wait till the car was gone. So this is why I say there is something to be learned here about sasquatch.

i agree. its like with squirrels when they wait til the last second to cross infront of you. i too think they have a hard time judging the speed. good post.

Hello ItsAsquatch,

How about the squirrels that charge across but stop and wait in the middle of the road 'til the last minute? Are they going to go left? Are they going to go right? One doesn't know until they at last make the move.

Hello ItsAsquatch,

How about the squirrels that charge across but stop and wait in the middle of the road 'til the last minute? Are they going to go left? Are they going to go right? One doesn't know until they at last make the move.

yes ive often wondered why they do that.

They must have seen their comrades get hit before. maybe they like to play chicken

Hello ItsAsquatch,

I think Sasquatch being an animal, and apparently a curious one at that, needs to figure out what the sound is. The sound of a vehicle approaching that is. Makes me think that not all Sasquatch are closely familiar with moving vehicles. The proverbial deer in the headlights. Once the vihicle is seen then it's head for the hills. At night I think the hint of light brightening on a dark road can be mesmerizing. Especially when it's accompanied by the "wind" sound of tires on a paved surface.

I think that Sasquatch have a very simple understanding of things and like other animals can be confused by sight and sound that is somewhat familiar to them even though the source may not be something they would expect. Consequently it takes time to make sense of things enough to react.

Hello ItsAsquatch,

I think Sasquatch being an animal, and apparently a curious one at that, needs to figure out what the sound is. The sound of a vehicle approaching that is. Makes me think that not all Sasquatch are closely familiar with moving vehicles. The proverbial deer in the headlights. Once the vihicle is seen then it's head for the hills. At night I think the hint of light brightening on a dark road can be mesmerizing. Especially when it's accompanied by the "wind" sound of tires on a paved surface.

I think that Sasquatch have a very simple understanding of things and like other animals can be confused by sight and sound that is somewhat familiar to them even though the source may not be something they would expect. Consequently it takes time to make sense of things enough to react.

that all makes sense. :) another good post Hiflier !!

It really is a good post! Maybe information could be gathered on each state to find out which road in each state has had the most sightings. There is probably at least one research group in each of the contiguous states that would have the equipment to investigate a certain hot spot for road activity. I was looking on the BFRO for Oregon sightings and found that in Multnomah County most of the sightings were either around the Sandy River or on or near I-84. Most of the activity along I-84 is between Bridal Veil and Cascade Locks. Bonneville and Multnomah Falls included.( Multnomah Falls has a report of an excellent sighting at : oregonbigfoot.com ) Most of them quite interesting reports. A lot of Union Pacific Railroad personnel have had sightings through these areas also. The Bridal Veil crossing incident and at least one of the railroad incidents have it down to the milepost. While Interstate 84 is very well traveled,it would have to be crossed to reach the Columbia River (which is right next to it). There is very good fishing in the Columbia (Sturgeon and Salmon and I'm sure many others) and if Bigfoots  need to get from Oregon to Washington(and vise versa) in this area, they would have to cross it, and there are a lot of sightings in Washington in the areas across from Oregon and beyond, going right up through to the Mt.Saint Helen's areas. There are some areas of the river that are pretty narrow and/or have islands in the middle to utilize as a rest area while crossing. Most of these encounters take place in the fall/winter and occur at night. If one had the resources and right equipment to put some cameras in those areas of I-84 and the river, there may be a possibility of getting some very good evidence...especially if using IR and Thermal. I believe this area is a main corridor for Bigfoots for crossing the river and/or fishing.                                                                              

Admin

Some Interesting Stats BobbyO. Keep up the Great Work. From your Information it's pretty safe to say that approximately 1 out of 4 sightings is attributed to crossing a road. I have never ran across any report stating that a Bigfoot might be laying on warm pavement, maybe to absorb the heat, like Elk like to do. I am more inclined to believe that a Bigfoot may see a road as an opportunity to get some food, whether it be road kill or maybe an animal crossing the road. Obviously a Bigfoot is going to encounter a road now and again, I just hope my path crosses with one on some road someday.

SSR Team

I've come across something like that WV, can't recall exactly what and where but I've definitely read things I've that in BfRo reports and also that Salbrious sighting in CO is similar.

Today I drove the Moclips Highway and the 101 between Humptulips and Quinault on the Olympic Peninsula, home to many of the Peninsula's road crossing reports.

Nothing but fantastic scenery and the occasional Deer..;)

I agree with WV FOOTER - BobbyO Has done a great job gathering and logging a huge number of reports. The statistical data he and the others have compiled for The Sightings Database Project is going to eventually be put to good use by those wishing to find specific information in a searchable database without having to read through all of the online reports themselves.

WV FOOTER has also logged numerous reports for this project, as have others. Awesome job, guys!

If you'd like to lend a hand with this effort, contact gigantor by personal message and let him know you'd like to help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Seems like a good time to bring this forward. Has anyone been pursuing any road monitoring? A question I've been turning over is whether or not there are things in your area that might cause Sasquatch to cross a road such as deer populations that stay away from Sasquatch-tyope habitat on an opposite side of a highway or a body of water that's more in the open and too exposed for the creature to live around. Perhaps a river or stream that runs on the other side of a road from a wooded area where there might be seasonal spawning. Bears can take advantage of that type of thing so why not the Hairy One?

SSR Team

Well I know that the Olympic Project had a spate of road crossings, some being in the exact same place out on the Olympic Peninsula.

Some time later that exact piece of land where the crossing in the same place occurred became available, and they purchased it same day.

Not sure if they've been specifically monitoring that stretch of highway there ( yeah it's a state highway ) but that was the situation anyway.

May be some members of the OP could chime him, there's a few that are members on here.

For the record this is public knowledge, Derek said so in a radio interview.

Hello BobbyO,

That's a wonderful piece of information to which I had no idea.. I often wonder if things that gel in this brain of mine are anywhere near on point. You've helped immensely in the area of my own self confidence. It also makes me wish more that I was younger and getting out there more to follow these trains of thought in the field. The whole Oregon thing is now making some sense after reading your post. And for that I am grateful. Thank you.

Edited by hiflier

On general principle, I would say that whenever a road-cross sighting is reported and the spot can be nailed down, the opposite sides of the road should be searched for more evidence (e.g., hair, use trails), and the spot monitored for a significant amount of time thereafter.

I've read more than one report of multiple road-cross sightings by the same witness within hours to a day or so.

Hello DWA,

Sometimes folks are not aware of that kind of potential. I know I wasn't but as I spend more time here (probably too much :)) some things are beginning to fall into place. The Oregon folks though seem way ahead so I'll just watch and wait in my own way I guess.