Primate Intelligence

BobbyO

SSR Team

I've known it for years Brent..;)

Guest JiggyPotamus

I agree with you that these animals are intelligent. But I do not believe their intelligence is on par with humans. And as many have probably seen me post many times, I think that sasquatch seem more intelligent because of the affinity for interacting with their environment. I mean all sasquatch habitats have one thing in common...They are all in the woods. I think they have woodcraft skills that could make them seem more intelligent than they would be when confronted with certain types of problems outside of their environment.

But I openly admit that I could be totally wrong. Knowing that other primates are intelligent, and that sasquatch are likely more intelligent than all of these other animals, except for humans, they possibly could amaze us even if they were taken out of their environment. I do however think that they are highly adaptable. To survive for so long while still interacting with humans to some degree, and not always in the woods, they must be adaptable. So I am probably wrong in saying that they just seem intelligent because of their skills in the woods, especially since some of the things they have been known to do actually take some form of logic and planning. Their ability to plan is likely much more advanced than any other animal on earth, except for humans, although to plan intricate behaviors that are synchronized with other sasquatch, they would probably need a language. I am not convinced that they possess such skills yet, although I do believe they would communicate through vocalizations and gestures, but that does not constitute a language. 

If they do have a language however, then it is fairly obvious that I am not giving them enough credit when it comes to intelligence. I know there are a handful of people who would agree with me that sasquatch may not be all that smart, and I would bet there are more people who think these animals are highly intelligent, even on par with humans. I am convinced we will have the answers to such questions sometime in the future, once these animals are discovered and studied. How far in the future is anyone's guess, but hopefully it will not be too long.

SSR Team

I agree with you that these animals are intelligent. But I do not believe their intelligence is on par with humans .

I'm talking specifically in their own environment Jiggy don't forget.

In that environment ( Forested ) I can't see why anyone would think they're nothing but more advanced than Humans and I say that with the species being completely unrecognised by the wonderful human race...

Of course if you put one sitting opposite Garry Kasparov and a Chess board and demand a winner, then I'd go with the Human all day every day..;)

But put a Sasquatch in a forest with a Human, and there's only one winner seemingly every single time, to date anyway.

We have always systematically underrated animal intelligence.  The biological sciences have even gone woo-woo paranormal to do it (the once universally-embraced, and totally inexplicable, "instinct," which really is "magic" in Biologese).

By the same token too many overrate the intelligence of sasquatch.  They don't seem to be significantly more intelligent than gorillas or chimps, and yes, as noted, that's actually saying quite a bit.  But they don't need advanced intelligence to "avoid" us (which thousands of encounters clearly say they aren't).

I hear over and over here how sasquatch are defeating our technology, our weapons, our 24/7 scrutiny of the entire dang world.  Well, no, because in statistical terms, no one is looking for them.  (A sasquatch is not significantly more likely to encounter a researcher any day of the year than he is me, on average.) 

What they are doing, in fact, is showing us up for our ignorance and incuriosity.  While we're on intelligence.

Edited by DWA

I don't think that they recognize the function of a camera (or other piece of technology), but they do understand its general purpose, that it is some sort of trap, and so avoid it.

SSR Team

I'd go even simpler than that JDL.

I think it could be along the lines of something like its not natural, so therefore it can't be trusted.

Plus humans put it to their eyes, like they do with other things, bad things that kill other things.

Something more than a guess. 

A squatch pursued by feral dogs lured them into our yard one night and used the fenced in cul de sac behind our house to separate itself from their pursuit.  It went over the fence while they threw themselves at it. 

The cul de sac was not visible to the squatch from street level as it was approaching our property.  It was, however, visible to the squatch from the ridgeline above.  So it looked like the squatch intentionally led the dogs onto our property, apparently with foreknowledge that the obstacle existed, an obstacle that it had probably viewed from a vantage point a few hundred feet above our property and was able to keep track of when it shifted to a street level perspective.  It is also possible that the squatch had been on our property previously, but we saw them more than once standing on the ridgeline at dusk looking down on the neighborhood.  Either way, it remembered the obstacle and used it to its advantage to elude the dogs.

More importantly, the squatch used the obstacle as a trap with apparent forethought, indicating that they do understand the concept of traps.  Their cooperative hunting methods also employ both ambush and the technique of driving prey toward a waiting squatch.

I'm sure there are others that have observed similar behavior.

Its just my opinion JDL, but I think the Big Guys venture into populated areas quite regularly raiding trash cans and dumpsters for an easy tasty meal. I also think they study us with a keen interest far beyond a base animal. Many documented reports have supported this going on for years.

I was told by a number of self professed experts, that the area of my first close encounter was far too close to a major metro area to be a Bigfoot, but they couldn't explain what it was. The Bigfoot/Sasquatch do live in remote areas, but I also feel there are others that have chosen to live much closer to us in many areas of the U.S. Even homeless people can avoid detection by just moving about late at night. Even more so with these elusive subjects.

I don't get the "lol." Seems like a very reasonable deduction on JDL's part. Is there something more you're not sharing?

Nice guess JDL, lol.

Guest lightheart

JDL I think i was caught in the middle of one of these driving hunts twice in about a one half hour period.. They may have been teaching a young one to hunt. It was about 7:00 am and I was on my mountain bike and rounded a corner of the trail and there was a fawn that looked like it was out of breath and was fleeing. It stopped and i stopped for about 15 seconds. Then it bounded off. The trail makes a big figure eight so i continued on and came back around to the same spot. about one half hour later. In the exact same spot there were six turkeys. I stopped again and watched them and from not ten feet away came a really loud really distinct wood knock. The whole  time i rode that day I felt uneasy like i was being watched. I think i spoiled their hunt that morning.

Its just my opinion JDL, but I think the Big Guys venture into populated areas quite regularly raiding trash cans and dumpsters for an easy tasty meal. I also think they study us with a keen interest far beyond a base animal. Many documented reports have supported this going on for years.

Not hard to imagine at all.  Say fifty people see it.  OK.  Now who says they saw bigfoot...?

I was told by a number of self professed experts, that the area of my first close encounter was far too close to a major metro area to be a Bigfoot, but they couldn't explain what it was. The Bigfoot/Sasquatch do live in remote areas, but I also feel there are others that have chosen to live much closer to us in many areas of the U.S. Even homeless people can avoid detection by just moving about late at night. Even more so with these elusive subjects.

This is a teeth-gritter about practically all scientific contact with this subject.  (And it even happens with too many proponents.)  Assumptions.  Sasquatch will do what any animal will do when hungry, which is get away with what they can get away with.  I love the circular reasoning employed by people who say "but they'd get seen," and then people report seeing them, some seeing them doing just this, and they don't believe the reports.  Oh, you can definitely see it going on...if, that is, you think about it.

Edited by DWA

JDL I think i was caught in the middle of one of these driving hunts twice in about a one half hour period.. They may have been teaching a young one to hunt. It was about 7:00 am and I was on my mountain bike and rounded a corner of the trail and there was a fawn that looked like it was out of breath and was fleeing. It stopped and i stopped for about 15 seconds. Then it bounded off. The trail makes a big figure eight so i continued on and came back around to the same spot. about one half hour later. In the exact same spot there were six turkeys. I stopped again and watched them and from not ten feet away came a really loud really distinct wood knock. The whole  time i rode that day I felt uneasy like i was being watched. I think i spoiled their hunt that morning.

So maybe knocking might mean:Human in area! I've heard that theory before.

If true, think of all the dummies knocking, telling BF there are humans here. LoL!

SSR Team

If it was as straight forward as that wag, why would people ever get a reply ?