Skeptics: Define Your Success For Us, Please.

WSA

My point was these men, unique as they were, went to their graves never finding what they spent their lives searching for. Some, like Dahinden and Krantz, sacrificed marriages, family, and careers in their belief that they would be the one to find bigfoot. It has nothing to do with a life spent enjoying the outdoors.

And how many people sacrifice those things for the vices in life?

John green has searched his whole life.......ask him if he feels it's wasted.

Admin

As a proponent I've never understood this, as a bad day of squatching beats a good day at the office anytime. Roll in some other outdoor hobbies like hunting, fishing, etc and it just becomes icing on the cake if you find something compelling out there...

norseman, I know what you mean, and you are soooo very right. 

• Upvote 1

And how many people sacrifice those things for the vices in life?

I understand your point. I spend quite a bit of time in the woods hiking. I attach no goals to it other than the pure enjoyment of being there. And while a life long snipe hunt could be enjoyable in the moment, never reaching your ultimate goal of finding and laying eyes on your quarry must be something of a disappointment no matter who you are or how much you love the outdoors.  But, of course, I cannot speak for anyone else, that is just my thought on the matter.

Edited by dmaker

Guest Darrell

Ok, I will try and ask him. But its not up to me whether or not he wasted his life. However, he will go to his grave never finding what he worked so hard to find. If he feels his time wasnt wasted it was ultimateley his life and time. However, in the case of Krantz and Dahinden, they both were trying to PROVE existance. And the fact both went to their graves, despite their contributions to the phenomena, without meeting their goal equals failure.

Edited by Darrell

I think it is safe to say there are "Journey" guys, and "Destination" guys, in fairly equal numbers, regardless of the undertaking you are talking about. I could understand how somebody could either feel bitter and resentful, or extremely thankful and fulfilled, depending. We all of course get to say which it is for us.  

I think in the end, everyone involved with bigfoot, denialists, skeptics, believers and knowers all want the same thing, proof that bigfoot exists. If you have any interest in bigfoot at all, that should be your end game.

• Upvote 1

I believe you are correct Rockape...but then you get into the question of "'public" vs. "private" proof. Those whose interface with the evidence is academic are not going for anything other than to participate in the public kind of proof, if it should come. Then there are a great number of those who are looking for private confirmation only. (I think I'm close to that absolute, or not quite). Then we have all those who have already achieved private proof. I have far less of a feeling about how they would define their goals than the other two groups. I do get the distinct impression though, for the majority of them, public proof is not something they care about too much. I would want to know more about that though. 

Only "public proof" is worth anything. You can say you've seen one all you want, but that does nothing to prove bigfoot exist to the rest of the world, and that is the only thing that matters.

• Upvote 1

Only "public proof" is worth anything. You can say you've seen one all you want, but that does nothing to prove bigfoot exist to the rest of the world, and that is the only thing that matters.

... to you.  :(  

Don't pretend you speak for me.

MIB

Who's pretending to speak for you? Some people say they have seen a bigfoot and that's proof enough for you. I'm speaking for those who require hard proof.

If only public proof is worth anything to you RockApe, then who am I to dispute that with you? For many though, their quest ends with private confirmation, and I likewise have no reason to quibble with them either. I don't presume to know how somebody feels who has seen one, and wouldn't know unless I, well...knew. 

Edited by WSA

"Public proof" is only worth something to the public.

If I have proof the public can go hang.

If I ever saw one, the only people I think would deserve to know it would be those who thought they were real.  I'd laugh at scoffers the rest of their lives and wish for them to persist in their delusion.  But hey, that's just me.  :spiteful:

One of the funniest things about this whole field is scoffers thinking that those who are actually paying attention should care what they think.

Driving up to a television studio with a bigfoot carcass in the back of your pickup is wholly different than claiming knowledge.

Only to the person who doesn't know for himself, it is.

If I know, it is real; and what other folks think is their folly.

I'm not going to call my neighbors to ask whether this is my door; those are the steps leading to the street; and this car I'm unlocking actually exists.  Likewise, if I see a sasquatch, they are real, it is proven, and it will not matter who thinks differently, because they are wrong.

So.  What do you tell folks about That Big Bird...?  Hmmmmmm?

Edited by DWA

Dmaker and Darrell,

I suppose your right in the sense that those two men drove their stake in the sand, and defended the creature against skeptics to the hilt.

I certainly have as well, but where I draw the line is proclaiming I know its out there. I think it's out there from personal experience, and not that it would make a difference to skeptics, but I've never personally seen it.

Which means in my mind iam not 100 percent positive it's out there. Which also means that if I never live to see it proven, my mind was prepared for that outcome as well.

Cannot speak for Grover or Rene