Has Anyone Tried Using Bait And A Trail Camera?

TD-40

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried hanging some fresh meat, or other food, from a tree and then hanging a trail camera nearby. I think you would attract raccoons, bears, and other animals but there is always the chance that an 8' wildman will also show up. Anyone tried anything like this?

Hello TD-40,

The venerable Zagnut bar seemed to have worked in the woodpile video? Just kidding, I would think it's been tried and hopefully we'll find out when the experienced ones show up here.

Edited by hiflier

SSR Team

I think you're grossly under estimating the intelligence of these things.

You don't need meat hanging from a tree as if there are any around, you just need you, you're the bait.

Hello BobbyO,

I would think a well-secluded trail cam watching a more-obvious trail cam might reveal something interesting. What I couldn't say. Local thieves Human or otherwise? BUT! I've saved the best for last.......later.

Edited by hiflier

food will most likely be consumed by regular wildlife / scavengers.... and hanging meat in the wrong areas could bring in bears that you ( or others that come along unknowingly behind you) may not want to deal with.

not a bad idea with the cam watching a cam though.... maybe mounted higher up out of sight and angled down........but we know what kind of track record game cams & BF have so its a gamble at best , imo.

Hello Doc Holliday,

True story: A friend liked feeding the birds but not the squirrels. One day I got out a tall ladder and hitched a small pulley to a tree about 50ft across from the deck rail. At deckside I erected a pole with another pulley attached and ran 300lb monofilament line through poth pulleys and tied on the tube feeder. Once filled it was then reel out to the middle of the yard and was about 8ft off the ground. The squirres were effectively discouraged for about three days until.........ONE OF THEM BIT THROUGH THE LINE! Down it came and, when discovered, it was completely empty.

Animals are smart.

Edited by hiflier

yes they are. i grew tired of buying industrial sized bags of bird seed for the wifes feeders because of squirrels.

she hung them on the shepards hook type steel poles and the little bums would wipe the feed out quickly.  

when hunting season was out and i couldnt legally shoot them i simply smeared crisco on the steel pole and gave it a liberal dusting of cayenne pepper. 

funny thing watching them licking those paws off and then " hot footing " it ( yes, pun intended) back to the trees and presumably to the creek...... either way they left it  alone until i could break out  the trusty Marlin .22 again.

edit typo

Edited by Doc Holliday

Hello Doc Hilliday,

^ Good story there. Bums is right and that goes for the birds too ya know. Habituation can make bums outa just about any wildlife and some would be surpised how little time it takes.

I think one of my associates has tried hanging a large cow liver in a burlap bag in front of a trail cam. It was so long ago that the camera was a 35mm type. I think it caught some pics of some objects flying through the field of view but none of animals if I recall. He said there were suspicious tree bows or breaks around the perimeter of it's range, like maybe it had been cordoned off. He left it for a couple weeks in the heat and of coarse stunk when he returned. Nothing touched it. 

Guest zenmonkey

Ive always wondered if anyone has ever tried to drug one. Put a sedative in something they might eat like at the "gifting tree" or something of that nature. Big guy takes the bate then hopefully doesn't make it far before taking a nap.

I remember an account from a guy in florida that figured out something was raiding a dumpster behind a small shopping center that backed up to a large forested area. He did concoct some sort of juice in a bottle with a sedative. He set the trap and waited for the thing to show up. He reportedly had an intense encounter as a result. I don't the the BF took the bait in the end however.

I remember an account from a guy in florida that figured out something was raiding a dumpster behind a small shopping center that backed up to a large forested area. He did concoct some sort of juice in a bottle with a sedative. He set the trap and waited for the thing to show up. He reportedly had an intense encounter as a result. I don't the the BF took the bait in the end however.

I mentioned that situation about two weeks ago, but if one was to google  "Dan Jackson, Florida strip mall, bigfoot" you would get several to pick from and also he was on an episode of Monster Quest, I believe.

But, he got a lot more than he bargained for because when he saw it and fired at it that was the end of his quest. It frightened him very badly.

I know a tiger's eye can see the infrared beam emitted from the camera that trips the shutter. Do we know if the same is true for the BFs eye? Can they see infrared? Would they know it is foreign to their natural environment and avoid it altogether? If so, I presume they would also know that bait is foreign too.

Edited by cwittler