Has Anyone Tried Using Bait And A Trail Camera?

TD-40

SSR Team

Hello BobbyO,

I would think a well-secluded trail cam watching a more-obvious trail cam might reveal something interesting. What I couldn't say. Local thieves Human or otherwise? BUT! I've saved the best for last.......later.

I don't think so hiflier.

They haven't yet so i see no reason why one would in the near future, for whatever reason.

It was Einstein who said that trying the same thing over and over and over again was insanity.

It's this sort of thing and this continued repetition of research protocol that continues to fail year after year, that i feel really lets Sasquatch research down.

Trail Cams produce nothing, nada, nish, period.

I'll be the happiest man alive if i'm proved wrong, but history suggests i won't be any time soon.

Admin

I know a tiger's eye can see the infrared beam emitted from the camera that trips the shutter.

The cameras that I'm gonna use have passive infrared with black LED iluminators which come on only AFTER the PIF has triggered.

Edited by gigantor

I know a tiger's eye can see the infrared beam emitted from the camera that trips the shutter. Do we know if the same is true for the BFs eye? Can they see infrared? Would they know it is foreign to their natural environment and avoid it altogether? If so, I presume they would also know that bait is foreign too.

If we are ever given a specimen for scientific study, it wouldn't surprise me if these creatures had the ability to see infrared light.

I know a tiger's eye can see the infrared beam emitted from the camera that trips the shutter. Do we know if the same is true for the BFs eye? Can they see infrared? Would they know it is foreign to their natural environment and avoid it altogether? If so, I presume they would also know that bait is foreign too.

Fortunately camera traps today do not emit infrared light while sensing a heat source in motion. Their passive infrared sensor only receives the heat/light energy from the animal to trigger the camera. Once triggered at night they will flash "white light" or emit an infrared light source for the picture, at which point, the animal is photographed.  Some study has been done to see if they emit ultrasound which may alarm animals. Some cameras will make a click sound just before it snaps a pic, which often captures deer looking right at the camera with ears up and turned forward.  Other than that, the cameras should work on BF unless it's body heat is not within the range engineered into the cameras to help prevent false triggers. Or they are just psychic.

There are two types of surveillance that I can only recall reading about a couple of times - once from a member here and once by Larry Surface (I think his name is) - namely photography or videography from long distance and also pinhole-type cameras through a door of a house or structure. Does anyone else experiment with these types of surveillance?

I tend to agree with BobbyO that trail cams, for whatever reason, just don't work.

Yes NAWAC has tried top of the line camera traps and the security system CCD IR cameras wired to a DVR. Not sure who if anyone has used the pin hole cameras inside manmade structures etc. It seems any act of surveiling with video camera technology leads to less activity in the targeted area.

It works sometimes.....

A friend put a trail cam and not much else in her yard one day I think, if I remember correctly.  I have to add that in the past there was bait in the way of fruits, cookies, leftovers, etc.  But on that particular day I'm not sure what was in her yard. 

She sent me all the trail cam shots from that day and my avatar pic is a crop from one of those.  She graciously said that I could use it since I found it and so it's proof that they will still come around if they feel safe and secure.

Peace

SSR Team

It works sometimes.....

A friend put a trail cam and not much else in her yard one day I think, if I remember correctly.  I have to add that in the past there was bait in the way of fruits, cookies, leftovers, etc.  But on that particular day I'm not sure what was in her yard. 

She sent me all the trail cam shots from that day and my avatar pic is a crop from one of those.  She graciously said that I could use it since I found it and so it's proof that they will still come around if they feel safe and secure.

Peace

Sunflower, what do you mean you found it ?

Do you mean it ( the picture ) was nowhere near clear and the subject wasn't visible at first glance, but you found it after looking for a while at the picture ?

Edited by BobbyO

My friend's trail cam had a load of pics on it and she emailed them to me.  As usual I went thru them with a fine tooth comb.  My avatar pic is a hand that was in one of trail cam pics.  A hairy guy was sticking his hand through the vines and brush with just enough motion to make the cam snap a picture. At first glance it just looks like a bunch of vines but that hand was reaching thru and the hairy guy hand was caught on the cam.

It was very clear once I saw what it was and yes it's either gray or light skinned.

Guest zenmonkey

I remember an account from a guy in florida that figured out something was raiding a dumpster behind a small shopping center that backed up to a large forested area. He did concoct some sort of juice in a bottle with a sedative. He set the trap and waited for the thing to show up. He reportedly had an intense encounter as a result. I don't the the BF took the bait in the end 

Now that I think about it I believe I've read that too.

SSR Team

My friend's trail cam had a load of pics on it and she emailed them to me.  As usual I went thru them with a fine tooth comb.  My avatar pic is a hand that was in one of trail cam pics.  A hairy guy was sticking his hand through the vines and brush with just enough motion to make the cam snap a picture. At first glance it just looks like a bunch of vines but that hand was reaching thru and the hairy guy hand was caught on the cam.

It was very clear once I saw what it was and yes it's either gray or light skinned.

So it wasn't there in the other pictures ?

It's tough to make out what it is conclusively from that crop of course, and without any real context to the surroundings.

Guest zenmonkey

It works sometimes.....

Peace

It possible for us to see some of those pics?