Bf Vulnerabilities?

JanV

Well, you pretty much lose me with "Just like with most animals". If it were true we wouldn't be having this discussion. Of course that is just my opinion.

Well, that's what I mean.  Everyone who says something like that seems to be discussing their subjective reaction, and not observable traits that, to me, would add weight to the opinion.

Would having listened to them talk to one another count? I thought at the time it sounded like Korean, not sure why, it's not like I've heard much Korean.

^^^Well there's a reason that's called "samurai chatter."  Here's another guy who had never heard of that but used the word "Asian" to describe what he heard:

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=40534

There are many reports of that.  But I don't want to jump to conclusions.  I mean, I'd say most animals don't do that.  But then no animals have antlers like a moose either, know what I mean?

Given the diversity of hominins that science is just now starting to scratch the surface of uncovering, I wouldn't jump to the "human" conclusion, just say, well, no known primate other than us has anything that sounds like that.  But we thought we were unique as toolmakers until Goodall hung out with chimps...and now we're finding toolmakers all over the animal kingdom.

Well, you pretty much lose me with "Just like with most animals". If it were true we wouldn't be having this discussion. Of course that is just my opinion.

As far as vulnerabilities my guess is you could get them strung out on alcohol. That has a lot of ways to backfire on you though. I have heard of gifting beer though.

I agree, and I have heard of them stealing beer.  IMO they should really try some Chianti lol and ditch the beer.

SSR Team

^^^Well there's a reason that's called "samurai chatter."  Here's another guy who had never heard of that but used the word "Asian" to describe what he heard:

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=40534

There are many reports of that.  But I don't want to jump to conclusions.  I mean, I'd say most animals don't do that.  But then no animals have antlers like a moose either, know what I mean?

Given the diversity of hominins that science is just now starting to scratch the surface of uncovering, I wouldn't jump to the "human" conclusion, just say, well, no known primate other than us has anything that sounds like that.  But we thought we were unique as toolmakers until Goodall hung out with chimps...and now we're finding toolmakers all over the animal kingdom.

He also adds Russian and Eastern European in there too so I wouldn't put much emphasis into Asian personally.

Hopefully the Q&A with Scott Nelson that is happening soon will give us more insight into ths as I've asked a question that I'm thinking ( hoping ) will go some way to clarifying this stuff.

^^^No, not like "Asian" is key or anything.  But his saying that - before he'd heard any recordings - emphasizes a commonality among people that have reported this.

Sunflower, you may be thinking of the Kokanee Beer commercials, which featured Sas' stealing beer from the forest ranger's cabin, in an ongoing plot line over several years, just like a soap opera. They were quite popular, and amusing, and probably sold a ton of beer. If you have reports where beer raids by BF really happened, I'd love to see links.

LOL, I've never seen a Kokanee Beer commercial in my life, so no..............but a family up north of me has reported that they have pilfered beer from their back deck several times.  When I say reported I'm not sure what organization had these incidents on file, but a good google or bing search will turn up something.  

Thanks for the heads up though I'll look for the commercial on youtube or elsewhere. 

Peace

I have no idea. But in every report I've catalogued, I've tried to characterize the Bigfoot's activity in simple terms - mostly "in transit" (i.e., just motoring along), foraging (which can include actively tracking an animal or raiding a garbabe can), sleeping (yep, people stumble across sleeping Bigfeet not named Matilda), and a few others.

Of 531 reports, I've loged 259 as people seeing Bigfoot "in transit."  That is, the human witness is just doing whatever activity they are doing and they stumble across (or are stumbled across by) a Bigfoot just moseying along.  

Not sure if that translates into a weakness, but I've had about 10 beers today, so make of it what you will. 

Edited to add: Actually, I guess it does indicate a weakness. They mostly don't particularly pay attention to humans or adjust their habits to avoid us.  I know this is counter-intuitive to the "forest ninja" theory, but I wouldn't expect over 50% of encounters to be just of the casual, "hey look, there's Bigfoot walking down to the local fish market" type.  

Edited by Trogluddite

So many of our observations seem to stress the strengths of BF: speed, strength, awareness. I wonder what vulnerabilities they might have.

For instance, their sense of smell. Most primates, humans included, don't have a very good sense of smell. What about BF?

Do we have any evidence - anecdotal or otherwise - regarding their sense of smell, eyesight, hearing?

What weaknesses might they have?

They Bleed.  If it bleeds, we can kill it.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Concerning the OP and the question about BF senses, my opinions, based purely on what I've seen in the field and other anecdotal evidence, are as follows:

Sight: Fantastic night vision, probably equal to any other animal out there and better than most.  Daytime vision: color vision probably not as good as ours due to retina being packed with rod cells for superior night vision. Might even be color blind in some part of the spectrum (if so, most likely red).  Resolution and binocular vision: equal to or almost as good as ours.  Spatial acuity: close to equal to ours, maybe a little better, maybe a little worse (I lean towards better than ours because of the many reports of them running at high speed over and through rough, uneven terrain and not falling and busting their butts.).  Peripheral vision: much better than ours due to more rod cells.

And there's something else - the intangible known as the "sixth sense".  Most of us have so deeply suppressed ours to the point it's non-existent or non-functional, whereas BF's is running wide open in overdrive.

Yes, I tend to think that the many reports of red eyeshine practically guarantee that they are insensitive to a particular part of the red spectrum. It also points to increased amount of rhodopsin, the reddish color stuff responsible for good night vision. However, given a bigger eyeball, they only need a 10mm iris to get twice as much light, therefore only need half the red receptors to see red as well as we do, if the red replaced with rhodopsin, then they may get perceptible red glow, but can still see some red. Hard to say, but if they are "evolutionarily fully committed" to best night sight possible then dropping red sensitivity might have been part of that.

Hunters however, would seem to sometimes surprise them despite wearing safety orange, so that might point to "enough" red insensitivity to take advantage of.

This is a potential disadvantage that would be hugely useful to exploit though. Particularly since we now have red monochramtic high power LEDs. Putting a red filter on a spotlight still allows some other spectral bleedover, and you can probably also feel the IR warmth physically. Monochromatic light source though should avoid this problem. It's also awesome that it preserves our own night vision. I have seen some suggestions that aggression has been triggered by red clothing, haven't gone into that fully myself yet, it's just a suspicion that's been beginning to form. This might be due to them thinking that you are trying to be super sneaky and mean them harm, if it appears to be among the darkest of things that humans wear to them. If they are extra sensitive in blue-green then maybe regular camo is easier for them  to pick out than us, i,e, they'd get so much more tonal range that it would be like spotting lime green on forest green to us.

For emergencies, i.e. when they're already peed off and you're just trying to disorient them to escape, then pulling on red goggles and using a high powered flash strobe, bright white, might be an option, in combination with general red illumination, you get to see, they don't.

-----------------

Sixth sense... there's been some recent work suggesting that the spinal cord is a bit of antenna both broadcasting and reciveing a small amount of RF energy with the nerve activations. When tense, excited, focussed, these signals may be stronger. Turns out that, like radio antennas they are more sensitive when rX and tx at 90 degrees to each other. Hence deer pick up an upright agressor at longer range, than one that's prone. Anway, they sell shielded mesh shirts to suppress this for hunters. Boogers may have a bit bigger antenna, so may have detection range advantage, but they'd also have a stronger transmit signal, so maybe you get to feel those spine tingles at about the same range they do.

----------------

Head movement, by all observations theirs is quite restricted, they can't look over thier shoulder too well, they have to turn the body. This might mean that's it's theoretically possible to make one fall over, by tangling it's legs up. First there would have to be two of you, managing to keep up with a strolling squatch, undetected by it, with some way of making loud, but not too startling noise. IDK how that could happen, maybe you're upwind and it's raining like hell, allowing you to jog along without making noise over the rain. Anyway, one of you is behind right shoulder, one of you behind left shoulder some way back... then you make noise on left, it turns body, then you make noise on right, turns other way, could stumble it, might take another noise on left.

Now, there's some physics here, there could be a frequency/rate that's close to natural "pendulum" frequency of squatch upper body to hinge point, which if you try to make it turn at that rate will make it hard to control muscularly and overbalance one way or another. Theoretically, this will be a bit different from that of a human.  Theoretically again, there may be a particular way to zig zag when being chased, that your body/pendulum frequency is okay with but a large sas's is not, however, you have to induce the sas into that movement, vs not bothering to zig when you zag and thus throwing himself off or tangling his legs.I have a feeling that it's too short a period to be of practical use when running away though. I'm getting a spitball somewhere in the 1.5 seconds range, i.e they can't change direction easily more often than and a little above 1.5 seconds, it takes them disproportionate effort. Since you're doing your best Ben Johnson olympic record sprint at this point that probably works out to changing direction about every 10 meters... but no guarantee they don't just go straight up the middle... also you don't want to change direction TOO sharply. You may be able to do some simulation with 2 guys, one with a frame pack with a weight as high as you can get it. This may be more of a viable strategy if chased on a mountain bike and you have the room.

If I had to pick one vulnerability, it would be digestion.

That being said, I've always felt there's a contradiction based on the physical description of witnesses and the perceived dietary needs of these creatures. They are most often described as being built like weight lifters or very muscular football players. Broad shoulders, muscular chests and small waists.

I would expect a pot belly kind of look, like you would see on a gorilla, to account for the longer than normal digestive track that would be needed to process a variety of raw foods. They could not subsist on red meat alone and I assume they consume vegetation. Either way, this diet would require a large gut, with long intestines, to absorb the unprocessed food sources.

Imagine if one developed a stomach bug...

This is no joke as a stomach virus could quickly lead to dehydration and subsequent death. There are many reports of them scavenging road kill or even garbage. This would make them susceptible to a number of digestive disorders. Perhaps they may even have a sensitivity to certain types of foods? After all, they could be our closest relatives and may likely suffer from many of the digestive issues we have.

Sometimes, it's the little things that cause the most problems. Even though they may have a natural immunity to water related bacteria or even rotten meat, they can't be immune to all bacteria. One bad stomach bug and that could be it...

I/we are forgetting the biggie...

FIRE!

IMO it is the most successful form of lower hominid suppression to date. I'm gonna refer to such as "Sas" for short, but it refers to all types of potential relict hominids, primates and former co-existing human lineages.

As Flash sees it, when Europeans arrived in North America, there were no to very few "Sas" on the East Coast. They found a "paradise" with abundant game, like it was a game park. Well guess what, the native americans were running it like a game park. It was at that time a very open woodland, with brush kept low. This provided abundant forage for deer. It was maintained like this by periodic burns. We know Sas likes deer, but he also likes good cover. This was denied him by the methods the natives were using. It is probable to me that east coast natives at that time did not have frequent Sas encounters, regular experience with them may have been generations in the past. Intentionally or unintentionally, eastern natives made their habitat unhospitable for sas, while providing abundant game for themselves.

Then as colonists colonised, they pushed back the native americans, who then it seems to me, acted very much like a buffer zone between Euros and the true wilds. Also, they seemed reluctant to take to the woods and mountains and had wars of conquest themselves to take the previously settled territory of tribes further inland... blame could rightly be put on the shoulders of Euros for being genocidal, but whole tribes were wiped out by other tribes. Before saying "But the natives here have no oral history of Sas" ask yourself, are they the ones that were on this part of the land in 1492? Some moved into the void left by the collapse of the Mississippian culture, thought to be due to Euro diseases early in the colonisation period.

Anyway, it has been postulated by paleontological anthropologists (I think that's the right term) that Sapiens and direct ancestor fire user species wiped out other competing homos by burning them out. I believe that was based on finding evidence suggesting that.

In reports today, it has been recorded that Sas is rather perturbed by camp fires. There being one or two instances of a fire being stomped out. Is this fear of fire as an unpredictable force of nature, as in a wildfire, or an ancestral memory of Sapiens kindling a fire for the express purpose of burning you out?

Sapiens too I think feels an inbred connection to fire, we instinctively know that beyond it's ability to provide light and warmth, that it protects us. Something within us knows, it's not the light, it's not the warmth, it's that we can wield it as a weapon, other things are afraid of it. The archetypical "monster hunt", deeply almost subconsciously buried in our culture since aeons past, requires flaming torches, firebrands, somehow we know this, flashlights are a poor substitute.

Hearing noises in the dark? Build up that campfire too big to be stomped!

I often wondered why there weren’t herds of Sasquatch observed fleeing forest fires …. Fire and Sasquatch go together like burning hay on a windy day. In one of the most unforgettable scenes of Wizard of Oz I ever seen occurs when the witch and monkey set the scarecrow ablaze. It was terrifying for a little kid to watch.  A Sasquatch, like a scarecrow  on the hand, would live longer if they learned to flee the forests upon first sniff of burning wood …..  rather than allowing it to draw their curiosity. Maybe that is what draws so many in during campfires?