Would Proof Of Existence Be Beneficial For Bigfoot?

Guest lightheart

You know JDL I used to really want their existence acknowledged. I thought that it would serve as protection for them and i just really wanted to know exactly what they are for sure genetically.

Now however, I agree with you. They are doing just fine without it being publicly known that they exist. I would venture a guess that in some areas of the country they are thriving..... I mean if they turn out to be some sort of archaic human what are we going to do?   Make them obey laws, restrict their traveling, insist that they refrain from startling hikers, campers, etc with their appearance???? 

I think we need to consider the consequences for the Bigfoot population if they are proven to exist in the future. It would be great for us and the science community, but from their (Bigfoot) point of view, it could be a negative thing. I do not think they want to be found. There has to be a reason why they actively try to evade detection. 

On the positive side, maybe Bigfoot will be placed on the endangered species list and protected. There could also be more protected areas and parks.

On the negative side, there could be a surge of people looking for Bigfoot in their territory. Captured specimens could be studied by scientists in laboratory conditions. I also do not want these creatures to be held in zoos.

I'm not saying we should not try to prove their existence, but ethical problems must be considered. We don't know how intelligent they are. We don't know their intentions. We don't know what they are. They could deserve special rights that most non-human animals don't have.

Thoughts?

Before I read any of the other responses I will give my $0.02.

I believe that apes are close enough to being people (in ecological niche not species) and should not be killed or restrained except in duress. The same would apply to bigfoot. There are no solid reports of attacks on humans by bigfoot and as such I see no real need for protection from them. However, I have read a book (title long forgotten) about bigfoots being discovered and the traditional Chinese medicine plague extending to them. The beasts (people) were hunted and cut up for the fake medical reasons attested in Chinese medical for the almas. The only real consolation being that the recipients of such horrid medical excess suffered from laughing sickness (human version of mad cow disease [is it called kooroo?]) as a result. Albinos are hunted and slaughtered for the faux medical trade in some parts of Africa and I do not see anything to prevent this from happening to bigfoots. The best bet they would have is the conservation-mindedness of Americans and Canadians although that doesn't protect thousands of bears in this country every year.

Edited by antfoot

Guest keninsc

I think it's a bit simplistic for us to assume that once officially discovered people would leave them alone. Look at the mountain gorillas, you can go on a guided tour lead by the very people who poach them. Then there will be some good old boy or bored trust fund millionaire who need the thrill of the hunt. Yeah, they can hunt them now but it will be worse once they know they really are real.

I would like for someone here to show me an example of a species being worse off under the protection of the endangered species act?

As for the mountain gorilla, if they were unknown to western science? Does anyone truly believe they would still be extant? It's conservation groups and funding from around the world that is trying to protect them....... Not kill them.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure the Endangered Species Act applies.  And I'm not sure that laws regarding Native Americans apply.  This is new territory.  One factor will be how the public responds to their disclosure also.  Many will want them protected, just not in their back yard.  If they are classified as animals by law, they can be relocated, but not controlled.  If they are classified as people, benefits can be assigned, but they still cannot be controlled.

Government = Control

Bigfoot = Uncontrollable

People = Conflict

But it should all go well and work out without a hitch.

So flee before the bulldozers and roll the dice? That's the plan? Be invisible and you get plowed under........

We treat wolves, lynx and grizzly bear better in the lower 48 than this.

Don't understand how people make some sort of mental leap that we would treat a rare newly discovered species completely different and eradicate them. That's what we are doing now unwittingly by destroying their habitat.

And they won't be classified as people because they are not. If you put them on the rolls they would wipe their rear ends with the paper work.

But again without discovery I cannot even say that with 100% certainty. Hence the problem with leaving them at the mercy of our ignorance.

SSR Team

Then one wonders why it hasn't been done. Such a discovery would catapult someone's career into the stratosphere?

The bottom line of my posts gives what I think is the answer to that.

Like most thing in the modern world, money dictates everything.

Just saying that I doubt they'll be better off after "discovery".

I very seriously hope they are never discovered, I think our anti-natural overbearing control freak society would make life a utter living hell for them, just like it does for us. Most all people are totally terrified of a basic black bear to the extent they will shoot on sight if it is seen anywhere remotely close to their home, a creature whose biggest attribute is being timid and which is virtually harmless...I shudder to imagine what the general public would do if they found out something as big, scary, and in-your-face as a bigfoot had EVER killed a human being, every single one of them would be skinned alive by our gross soccer mom society. Period. No debate. Crap man, most of the people around here are afraid of bobcats and coyotes and see them as a real danger in the woods...give me a freaking break.

• Upvote 3

Just saying that I doubt they'll be better off after "discovery".

And I wish I could understand your rationale.......

If a bipedal ape was discovered today it would be the find of the century, bipedal man is no longer alone in the universe. You would not be able to fart within 200 miles of the discovery........

Remember the lumber company conspiracy theory? In which the big boys stamp out or down play bigfoot because a discovery would cut seriously into their profits? That is much closer to the truth IMO.

Yes, this sounds about right.

I very seriously hope they are never discovered, I think our anti-natural overbearing control freak society would make life a utter living hell for them, just like it does for us. .......give me a freaking break.

And I agree with Bobby O and norseman on the money issue. Hell, humans can't even stand in the way of profits.

yes, then "they" (the BFs themselves) would know they are real...

Edited by clubbedfoot

Guest keninsc

Why do you assume they are endangered? We don't know enough about them to determine that.

They may have a normal and natural low number.

And I wish I could understand your rationale.......

If a bipedal ape was discovered today it would be the find of the century, bipedal man is no longer alone in the universe. You would not be able to fart within 200 miles of the discovery........

Remember the lumber company conspiracy theory? In which the big boys stamp out or down play bigfoot because a discovery would cut seriously into their profits? That is much closer to the truth IMO.

Do you believe that they are apes along the lines of gorillas, or more like people?  If they were the former, I might agree with you.