Would Proof Of Existence Be Beneficial For Bigfoot?

Why do you assume they are endangered? We don't know enough about them to determine that.

They may have a normal and natural low number.

Your proving my point, correct, without data we cannot help them. There is no requirement for a study on squatch habitat in any environmental impact study in the USA today.

All we can do is assume that like other large omnivores such as the grizzly bear, habitat loss has had a devestating effect on their population.

Ask yourself this, why haven't we gotten more video from bluff creek? What was happening to the area when the PGF was filmed?

We know very little about them as a species but we certainly know what impact we are having on other species.....and it ain't good!

Do you believe that they are apes along the lines of gorillas, or more like people? If they were the former, I might agree with you.

What observations makes you think they are human? And observing amazon unknown tribes being murdered by westerners after gold or timber or oil? Even as a people why are they better off unprotected by the federal government? Edited by norseman

Maybe not human so much as self-aware.

What observations makes you think they are human? And observing amazon unknown tribes being murdered by westerners after gold or timber or oil? Even as a people why are they better off unprotected by the federal government?

Fair enough.  I had several encounters before I read anything about them or even talked with anyone who was aware of them, aside from those who happened to be with me during some of the encounters.

I mentally classified them based on their behaviors, and the way they interacted with me.  In all cases, their behavior was what I would expect of an aboriginal human.

The classifications I mentally considered and discarded included monster, animal and ape.

• Upvote 1

What I don't understand is why everyone has this bizarre fantasy that there are all of these Teddy Roosevelt style safaris taking place in America c. 2014? The last time that I am aware of that a wholesale slaughter of a species was undertaken in this country would be the buffalo hunts of the 1880s. This ain't the 1880s anymore...

Let's say that tomorrow the BF species is discovered, verified, and cataloged. Regardless of whether they are determined to be man, ape, or combinations thereof, it can be guaranteed that there will quickly be special protections granted to them along with a "no-hunting" type clause. There aren't going to be hoards of villagers with torches and pitchforks striking out into the night to kill the "monster." That's all Hollywood tripe.

Will there be the few rich guys who pay tons of bucks to go out and bag one? I'm sure there will be, but there is no way it is going to be some sort of big safari type adventure where dozens are killed at a time and stacked up like cord wood to assuage some sort of blood lust. I'd go so far to suggest that if they are real, some rich guys have already been out there and tried. Who knows how many BF heads are already tacked to game room walls? Heck, even average Joes like Norseman and NAWAC have already been out hunting them (albeit for a different purpose). What kind of success have these folks had? Their batting average hasn't been too hot so far, and that has been with no laws, rules, or regulations to stop them from harvesting one. As things sit now, it is currently open season on bigfoot. Discover them, close the "open season" with stiff penalties for breaking those laws, and the likelihood of BF being killed needlessly goes down. It's common sense people...

If there is any such thing as prime bigfoot habitat, it is watersheds, and most of these are already protected.  In areas where some watershed is opened for commercial use, there is generally plenty of watershed to go around.

Beyond that, they've demonstrated the ability to live in plenty of different habitats.  They don't curl up and die when habitat changes, they either move, or simply take advantage of the new habitat that replaces it.  Fringe habitat, produced as a result of human activity, often actually supports greater numbers and populations of prey species, so this is to bigfoot's benefit and, judging from the number of reports that occur in such areas, they do take advantage of it. 

Any setting aside of habitat for bigfoot (to the extent that bigfoot oblige) is more a matter of limiting their interaction with us than preserving habitat that they ostensibly need.

Keep in mind that they move around a lot and a high percentage of reports indicate that they occupy areas near human development on a regular basis, which only makes sense do to the fact that we directly and indirectly produce so many opportunities for them to procure food.

Just saying,setting aside large tracts of land, private and publicly owned, IMHO would be where the fight would come from. There are plenty of examples such like the spotted owl, red legged frog etc. in Calif. that raise the stakes and tension as far as setting land aside; BTW alot of prime land that BF would perfer in Calif. is already public land anyways.I think that once(and this thread is another after discovery thread) verification takes place studies already part of the mandates that go along with classification and endangerment levels will take place and determinations will

be established thru disribution studies, legal standing and populations. Until all those studies take place(in Calif. anyways) BF can be placed on a protected species list until an endangered species application is drafted.My take for a "free roam" policy until the application to the US is made it would seem alot less need for the political heavies to be involved; how are you going to confine a 800 lb. biped from migrating to seasonal feeding grounds etc. per say. Also a hunting prohibition usually is automatic if something is placed on the state protected species list prior to finalizing an application for US Endangered Species anyways. The key to all this policy and regulations is #1 education, which comes along with studies and

public input, commission hearings and scientific presentations. Let me just say also that a hunting prohibition not only would protect the BF but also the general publicIMO because I believe there are(or would be) folks determined to get a mount and that may put the general public in harms way.

Hello Terry,

May I amend you post a bit? The wholesale slaughter of bison in the 1880's was principally to rid the plains of sustainance for Native Americans. Basically remove their food/meat/hides supply to weaken their resistance and force them into areas where bison were left alone in order to strategically corner them . Sure there was probably sport involved but it wasn't the primary goal. In the mid 1800's there weas an estimated 60-100 MILLION Bison. By 1885 there were only a few hundred left. Drought, NA's and the slaughtering programs combined put great pressure on the herds.

Edited by hiflier

^^I'm not Terry, but I assume you were referencing my post. :) I understand the point you're trying to make, but the reason for the wholesale slaughter is irrelevant. The fact that it took place is. I must correct myself though, as I remembered that the plight of the passenger pigeon and it's eventual extinction post-dates the buffalo hunting era. My overriding point though is, that it has been a century since Americans have been involved in mass slaughter of any animal species for any reason. The concept that all of the sudden our societal evolution will stop and reverse itself to the point where it will be acceptable that bigfoot, when "discovered" will be subjected to the fates suffered by the aforementioned species is utter nonsense.

Good points Ike, I agree!

Squatches or not going to become any more susceptible to gunfire after discovery!

Besides it's not gunfire that Iam worried about it bulldozers......

JDL: what about dams upsetting watersheds and the lack of salmon ladders? Have you read the report on native salmon runs in the pacific NW? Many are down by 80% and some runs are completely extinct.

It must have a impact on them and I doubt grandmas garden takes up the slack.

This is why discovery is so important, we just do not know and quite frankly not worth the risk.

Academically, from the bigfoot's perspective, I don't think they will be better off.  But I do agree with you that discovery is important, albeit for different reasons.

Hello Ike,

Oops! Ah well, hope my bigfoot hunt fares better. I'd hate to see one an then forget that I did LOL. Your point is well-taken and well-stated. Thanks for elaborating.

^^ My overriding point though is, that it has been a century since Americans have been involved in mass slaughter of any animal species for any reason. The concept that all of the sudden our societal evolution will stop and reverse itself to the point where it will be acceptable that bigfoot, when "discovered" will be subjected to the fates suffered by the aforementioned species is utter nonsense.

I think the reason we haven't had a "mass slaughter" of a predator species is simply due to the fact that we've killed them off to controllable levels.

Post discovery and study, if biggie is found to have a fondness for the occasional predation upon or kidnapping of humans, our caveman instincts will trump our mediocre evolutionary standing every time. 

If just a few of the 411 type cases were found to be attributable to SSQ, they would never be in as a good a state as they are now. Even if it could be done, would it be ok to kill them off to "controllable" levels?

This is what we do to apex predators, always:

http://mountainlion.org/us/-us-timeline.asp

Historic and current wolf populations, red is extirpated, green, current.

post-23923-0-72673900-1396993772_thumb.j

Not current, there are documented cases of wolves in even Nebraska. The map excludes a variety of states where they're established and breeding.

As for mountain lions / cougars, they've greatly extended their range in the past 40 years. One was captured near one of the busiest intersections of my home of Omaha a dozen years ago, or so. It currently resides in the Henry Doorly zoo. Cougars are found and reported in an enormous amount of their former known territory.

In other words, wolves, coyotes, and cougars are currently expanding their territory at a rapid pace.

Hello Incorrigible1,

Speaking of which there is NO closed season on daytime hunting of coyotes im Maine.

p.s. I don't know who John Galt is but word has it he might be living in Ouray Colo.

Edited by hiflier