N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

According to the land use inventory, there is plenty of protected real estate owned by the feds alone so that it's not a problem. Notice that developed land was 6% of the US inventory in 2003. This does not include Canada. I haven't looked at the latest land census, but even if it has grown to 10%, which is doubtful, there is plenty of room.

The argument that BF doesn't have enough land to live in is just bs. Not the case at all.

----------

I found the latest land use census, it's from 2007. Developed land is still 6%. There is less cropland (-1%) and more water land (+1%).

attachicon.gifland-use-2007.png

Land in and of it's self is not the issue. This issue is, is the land sustainable for a particular species. Or is human interference on the land changing it's carrrying capacity?  I.e. Grand Coulee dam wiped out complete sub species of Chinook salmon, and others, and denied over 1000 miles of the upper Columbia to any migratory fish at all.

http://www.psmfc.org/habitat/salmondam.html\

We do not know what or how much land a Sasquatch needs in order to survive, but here is a comparison of another large omnivore.

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/nature/files/2008/09/dare-to-care-for-a-grizzly-bear-answer-key.pdf

What is the typical “home range†of a male and female grizzly? 
The male grizzly has a home range between 813 to 2,075 square miles, while female grizzlies 
cover 309 to 537 square miles

That is a lot of country, and on top of that, that range is suitable for the Bear. There is plenty of more land available to them but they reject it for whatever the reason...........or they pass through it and do not return.

No, we give them the winter off.

Wouldn't the lack of cover and possible snow on the ground make them much easier to track? And it would give you guys a break from the heat and bugs you've mentioned in the past. 

• Upvote 1

Guest zenmonkey

There's hasn't been a clear sighting since last summer. The cover is pretty much all gone in the winter, so we assume they keep their distance. 

I had recently jut talked to someone in the ouachitas who had said that they had seen an almost solid gray colored one. No I don't think they have any knowledge of the NAWACs old gray either.

I had recently jut talked to someone in the ouachitas who had said that they had seen an almost solid gray colored one. No I don't think they have any knowledge of the NAWACs old gray either.

Really. I'd be curious to know whereabouts. Feel free to PM me that info if you like. 

Wouldn't the lack of cover and possible snow on the ground make them much easier to track? And it would give you guys a break from the heat and bugs you've mentioned in the past. 

I don't think they'd be easier to track at all. The ground would still be the same (or worse due to the increased ground clutter). Plus, "tracking" assumings they're an animal you can pursue and catch. They aren't. They're too fast and too smart. More likely, they'd see you coming from a mile off and either play like a log or rock until you pass or fly like the wind. Also, foliage gives them confidence to come close to us meaning we don't need to try and go find them. The vast majority of our experiences have been coincident to heavy leaf cover. Lastly, it's more difficult to keep an all-volunteer group in the field when many of them have job and family requirements over holidays, etc. A high percentage of our group is involved in education and have summers free. 

I missed the snow comment. Typically, the snow doesn't last very long from what I understand. It might help you find tracks, but I have my doubts that it'd lead to a clutch of apes. 

Might give you a pretty good idea of where they bed or hide and allow you to place cameras at a later date - say a cave or abandoned mine. I would think it would be great for anthropologists to view and might even yield some info you could use as far as population goes. It also seems like decreased foliage could only be a plus when using cameras, thermal imagers, or snipers. Seems like a pretty good idea all around, it's too bad about the schedule problem.

• Upvote 1

All those things are true. If we had more members, we could extend our work into the winter months, but we've decided to focus on the times we believe they will come in close and not so much on those times we think they stay far away. 

Land in and of it's self is not the issue. This issue is, is the land sustainable for a particular species. Or is human interference on the land changing it's carrrying capacity? I.e. Grand Coulee dam wiped out complete sub species of Chinook salmon, and others, and denied over 1000 miles of the upper Columbia to any migratory fish at all.

http://www.psmfc.org/habitat/salmondam.html\

We do not know what or how much land a Sasquatch needs in order to survive, but here is a comparison of another large omnivore.

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/nature/files/2008/09/dare-to-care-for-a-grizzly-bear-answer-key.pdf

What is the typical “home range†of a male and female grizzly?

The male grizzly has a home range between 813 to 2,075 square miles, while female grizzlies

cover 309 to 537 square miles

That is a lot of country, and on top of that, that range is suitable for the Bear. There is plenty of more land available to them but they reject it for whatever the reason...........or they pass through it and do not return.

Correct, that is the supposed home range of ONE male grizzly. But that home range can and does support more than one male grizzly.

I missed the snow comment. Typically, the snow doesn't last very long from what I understand. It might help you find tracks, but I have my doubts that it'd lead to a clutch of apes. 

I'm curious, by what scientific/forensic basis do you assign the label of "Apes" to these entities?

Asked and answered. Many of their behavior characteristics are consistent with those found in chimps, orangs and gorillas. We aren't the first to see the connection. Based on our observation and experience, they're apes. 

No, we give them the winter off.

That's also when the legal hunting seasons are in effect.

So that's another reason to suspend operations, right? Safety first. 

It's when you are the most apt to be checked by LE for appropriate hunting licences, tags and CWL (if, carrying a sidearm) as you're supposed to have the appropriate hunting licence (in Oklahoma) when carrying a long gun in the field, 365 days of the year. Had your guy been checked (July) he might have had a bit of a time explaining the buckshot & slugs (even if he had a hunting licence) as poaching (in that part of the state) is regarded as an art form by some of the locals.

It's not like we haven't heard this kind of thing in the past or discussed it internally. We're comfortable with where we are with regard to laws covering the hunting of mythic animals and the specifics of our setting. Feel free to keep typing your POV on the subject, but you're not going to say anything new on the topic nor do you have all the facts. That's about all I'll say on this topic.