Are They Really Woodknocks?

BC witness

I agree George. They do seem to use these "forest sounds" to tell the others to take cover. Last weekend just as I entered the trail I heard a large angry barred owl sound.  This was immediately followed by another softer more distant call. In this instance I was the first one in the forest. Later on my hike I found some some bushes that had been ripped out of the ground and thrown into a pond.

All the knocks I have heard  correspond to the number of people in their space. Since I go alone now it is always only one. With my Dad I heard two. With a large group I have heard three. I think as wild as it sounds they use one, two, and many, This would fit with proto-language rather nicely.

I did a post few months back on 'number of knocks and number of people?" something like that,  and it was, inconclusive, I think. Sometimes they may signal number of people, sometimes it may be just one knock, but we need more info on possible species type (of BF), location (PNW etc) etc.

Not just species, could vary clan to clan as they reason out different means of communication, different details, at different speeds.  Yet if they travel and mix a bit, the ideas still move through the population.   Not all that different than tribal people who learned and maybe even shared the lore of other people they had not met because the stories were passed along by travelers.

Just an idea.

MIB

Edited by MIB

I have spent alot of time trying to figure out the wood knocks directed at me about 3 AM EST one morning a couple of years ago.  I have come to the conclusion it was a signal to me that they were hunting in the area and that I better go back to bed because if my presence ruins their deer hunt I would be next on the menu.

humm..............next on the menu doesn't sound too good. Two knocks we eat him now, three knocks we eat him at dawn, four knocks...............?    If you got that feeling, then go with it. Being up at 3 with BFs hunting would make me want to have something better than a tent to return to.

georgerm, what would that "something better than a tent" be? I've seen video of what a bear can do to a typical car or truck to get at the food it smells inside, so your everyday ride isn't going to protect you. Possibly an armored vehicle or tactical weapons carrier would do the trick. :o

georgerm, what would that "something better than a tent" be? I've seen video of what a bear can do to a typical car or truck to get at the food it smells inside, so your everyday ride isn't going to protect you. Possibly an armored vehicle or tactical weapons carrier would do the trick. :o

Humm.............not good. So broken windows and bear gets inside and eats occupant.........yes 44 mag hollow points. How do you know it was a bear and not BF getting a midnight snack?

Back to wood knocks. How many reports of people seeing BF woodknocking?

BF attacks on people in tents? I've only heard of (large) rock throwing, no attacks, but....?

I've heard a report of a guy who sort of saw one 'tapping' to the 'rythm' of his walk. Like, he is walking through the woods and hears: Tap Tap tap tap, tap tap tap tap' as he was walking. The person invaded his mud bath or colon cleans or whatever. I think the BF was using the clay/mud as a 'colon cleans'. Humans do the same BTW..

Edited by Wag

Cotter and georgerm

When my wife was still mobile enough to camp out, she always insisted that I have my "bear repellent" handy in the tent at night; that was a S&W Model 29 .44 mag, a la Dirty Harry. She did well as a hunter herself, tagging a moose and a good number of mulies and 1 white tail on her own. She still rides along as spotter when she can, but tracking, dressing, and packing out are no longer options for her, unfortunately.

I ask the same Q as george - how many observations of knocks?

Wag, I haven't read any "tent attack" reports either, but a few of BF in camp or brushing against a tent. I had a herd of range cattle mosey through camp in the dark, some of them brushing the tent. Scared the crap out of my then pre-teen boys.

Yes, there are Really woodknocks. I've recorded tongue clacks / palate pops. I've also heard  tremendous "cracks" .. exactly like the sound of wood on wood, or getting "good wood" on a long home run, in baseball... that could have been nothing else, other than what is available in that environment... wood. My summary... Both types of these unexplained sounds are out there. Whether or not they are from the same sources, has yet been determined. The investigation continues

Edited by imonacan

imonacan, do you have your recordings posted somewhere on line? I'd like to hear the comparison of clucks/clacks to knocks.

Thanks.

BFF Patron

BC Witness    No I did not see the knocking BF pick up the branch.     But the Jurassic park like footsteps leading up to that and the sound of it going into the crouch was nearly as good as seeing it.    Nothing on two feet but a bigfoot could have made those thuds with each step unless there are T Rexes in the Northwest forests.    15 seconds after the thud the knocks came from the same direction.     What I did then was so dangerous I still cannot believe I did it and did not get myself killed.   I went into the woods in the direction of the thud,  not knowing the adult BF was carrying a juvenile.    I went as far as I could without crawling over and under down logs but I got nervous about making a retreat and stopped from just a  couple of dozen yards away from the juvenile.   I got a picture of the juvenile that had been carried peeking at me over some ferns.    Mom had apparently put junior on the ground to make the knocks.     The picture shows a reddish brown blob through the vegetation that I think was Mom near junior.    Junior had to yet learned good peeking skills or I would never have gotten the picture.    Mom was sure good at hiding and only what I think are parts of her are visible in the picture.   Mom may be to the right and higher in the picture.     I saw the light colored nose first and thought it was eyeshine at first.    Junior is right in the middle of the picture.   Click on the picture to blow it up.      Randy   

post-23549-0-68833300-1398962825_thumb.j

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

BFF Patron

I admit this picture does not show much, part of the head, ears, nose and  one arm.     By itself it would be considered a squatch blob but with the footstep noise,  big thud, and  knocks, in that direction,   I am nearly 100% certain I have a juvenile picture.    There are a couple more pictures around showing a juvenile that look very similar.     They seem to have dark short fur,  fairly prominent ears, and that light colored nose, and something of a sagittal crest.    A woman in a habitation situation told me that this one is typical of what young ones look like she has seen.     The picture is still in my camera in case someone like Dyer claims it is his.   Randy

I don't see anything but foliage, sorry. Could you point out the suspected Bigfoot in that picture?

BFF Patron

Right in the center of the picture just below the diagonal branch.     What are you trying to see it with?    Something with a really small screen like an IPad or tablet is not going to make it large enough to see.    I had someone rant on and on that they could not see it only to find out they did not have anything larger to view it with than an IPhone.