Are They Really Woodknocks?

BC witness

I have a full size iMac and can't make anything out. I see a dark mass in the center, but it might have a beak. 

Very cool!!-Ever have your batteries go out? 'Could they hear you' when you went toward them?

Edited by Wag

Right in the center of the picture just below the diagonal branch. What are you trying to see it with? Something with a really small screen like an IPad or tablet is not going to make it large enough to see. I had someone rant on and on that they could not see it only to find out they did not have anything larger to view it with than an IPhone.

I originally looked at it with my iPad, but looked at it again with my Mac. Still not seeing anything that suggests it's anything other a tree. In point of fact, unless you pointed it out to me I wouldn't have noticed it at all because there's a shadow in the upper right that looks more like a figure but I'd wager is another tree. Edited by Leftfoot

BFF Patron

Like I said not much of it is visible and I guess if you don't want to see anything you won't.     I am wondering how you see a tree in something short and dark that does not continue upward out of the view of the picture like a tree trunk would.   Unless it is a tree stump that happens to look like a head.  There are no stumps there.   I went back in there the next day where the picture is and found disturbed soil where something large had been on the ground.    I thought at the time that the two adult BF were chasing down a deer and the thud was them taking the deer down.   But there was no blood back there, just disturbed soil.    What you say is shadow is in the middle of an area that is sun lighted beyond the ferns.       Like I said when I posted it for some reason the Apple computers do not show it as well as other ones.    Must be something to do with contrast or screen brightness in the Apple.    An 8 / 10 print that has the cameras and pictures resolution shows it very well.    If I put it on my computer next to a Mac you would see the difference.     

Like I said, if I had heard nothing,  did not go back into the underbrush towards the sound, and took the picture in the direction I heard the thud and knocks,  I would not have even taken the picture.     This is not proof of anything but supporting evidence.    This is quite different than taking pictures of the woods and finding BF peeking out from behind nearly every tree.        At least you are not seeing a cow.    Randy

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

More evidence that you can see whatever you want to see if you look and want to see it hard enough, I suppose.

And disturbed soil? Disturbed in what what way?

BFF Patron

Wag:   I think they knew I was there because the wind was at my back blowing right towards them.     From where I was standing when I heard the thud I could not even see a yard into the underbrush towards the sound so they could not possibly have seen me.   I think they smelled me first.     I had to go around the brush at the end of the trail switch back to get back in there.   At that point I would have been visible and the dry ground cover snapped with every step I took.   It was  July 11, so things were pretty dry.

I have never had the mysterious battery failures some people mention.    The camera worked fine.   I special ordered it because I wanted a green colored camera.   Figuring if BF are camera shy then a green camera might not look like one.     I have an H2 digital recorder running on my pack every minute I am in the field now after this event.    I had it with me at the time, but by the time I got it out of my pack and in record  everything was over.   I missed recording the whoops, the footsteps, and the knocks.    It all happened too quick to get the recorder running.    Even through my zapping thing in March the recorder kept going.    RR

RR, that's a great picture! One of the best I've seen in recent memory. Nice catch!!!!!! 

BFF Patron

Thanks but it was pure blind luck being right in their path of travel.   I wish I could show you the 8 X10 at better than computer screen resolution.    If anyone ever runs into me at a conference I usually have it with me.    I had reversed directions three times and really think they had no idea where I was.   Junior just happened to pop up to peek when I took the picture.       Some people claim they see some black eyes higher and to the right of the juvenile.     I won't make that claim but the juvenile does have his arm outstretched to his left towards the brown whatever it is there towards the right in the picture.    Some would start drawing red lines but I hate that.     They are very very good at hiding behind pretty much anything.    I had to have been only a couple of dozen yards away at one point and it was mid day.     I expected them to move away when I got close enough but they waited me out before leaving.     10,000 + years of hiding from humans makes them that good.  

I remember during escape and evasion training in the military, two instructors spotted me, told me to stop, and I went behind a smaller pine tree and dove under it.    They walked so close that I could have reached out and grabbed their foot, but they never saw me because I was in the shade,  had my face in the dirt, and was absolutely motionless.     I think BF knows how to freeze and become a stump very well.  

RR

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Nice effort and picture. Some seem disappointed so they need to hike around and try to do better. The wood knocks increase the odds that you photographed a BF. It may not be evidence to others, but it's evidence to you which is important.

Read end of BFRO story: It seemed as my son and myself broke out of some type of hypnosis I looked at my son and said “we need to goâ€. He agreed and he said he was running but I told him not to run and that we would walk out but we can keep an eye and see if we were going to be followed. We finally made it to the small creek and jumped across and headed across the field with the tall grass as we kept looking behind us to see if we were being followed but didn't notice anything. We made it across the field and took a short cut through the corn field and as we both stepped into my back yard we turned around and looked in the direction of where we just came from and just slightly north of us in the wooded area we both heard two really loud tree knocks and my son looked at me and asked if I heard that and I said “Yes I didâ€.

read the whole story.............quite interesting and it ended with wood knocks. What did the knocks mean?

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=42745

That one object collided with the other with enough force that it emitted noise. Assuming they didn't imagine the noise, that is.

There's nothing wrong with being skeptical, and it could have been a coincidence. However, since it came right after a sighting chances are it was BF but a 10% chance it was two tree banging together. If BF, was it warning the others of the human intruders?

10% you say. That seems awfully precise. How did you arrive at that number?

The mathematical formula for this that most researchers use is below:

n x w / ( b / c) = %

If they were wood knocks as suspected, then what did the bf intend to say?

1. other bfs leave the area

2. good riddance humans

3. two knocks for two humans

Edited by georgerm

Or it might not be a form of communication at all and may just be a territorial display, or Bigfoot was stressed out, or may have been trying to crack open a deer's skull to get at the brainsssss, or a dozen other things... Assuming it was Bigfoot and no other possibility.