Dna Dart Gun With Thermal Video Vrs Lethal Firearm

1980squatch

Well, I'd say the evidence is pretty firmly on the side of not homo, at this point.

Considering the quality of such evidence, I would respectfully disagree.

That aside:  the means exist today to confirm an animal without taking one.  It is more problematical.  But given the leaps and bounds at which the kill alternative has progressed, anyone who sets his/her mind to doing it this way might - that's might - get there before a bullet does.

It certainly appears to be such a race, and I would add that whomever kills the first one and if it turns out to be something more than a mere ape, may God have mercy upon their soul.  A safe house might be in order at that point as I can only imagine what the hue and cry (for their heads) will sound like.

Edited by Yuchi1

^^^No, actually, it is the relative quality of the evidence against (copious, consistent, and scientifically correct) and that for (subjective interpretations of personal experiences by non-scientists) that has me thinking what I do.

I don't consider apes "mere" anything; and would hasten to point out that the most open of all open seasons is the one we keep against our own species.

It's a race that I hope to loose......but after 40 years of trusting the anti kill crowd with this issue. And watching them bang on trees, howl at the moon and show us grainy blob squatch photos?

I seriously doubt this is going to happen.

And then after several openly stated they don't really care to prove this species real?

Was when I decided to roll up my sleeves and get in the ring.......some things you just have to do yourself.

We can bloviate all we want about kill vs. no-kill, and try to elbow each other off of the high moral ground all we want, but it won't change this inevitable outcome: Sooner or later, if this animal exists ( and my $ says "yes" and "sooner") somebody will bring a specimen. There is nothing we can say or do to prevent that at this point, and the longer the discussion lasts, the more certain that becomes. You don't want to be that person? Fine and dandy. Just don't confuse that stance with anything that will prevent it from happening.

All we can hope to control is the aftermath of that event, and even that is too dependent on the actual circumstances to predict with any degree of useful certainty. It is likely to be an event that will go where it will go, despite the best efforts of some to control that.  

So, to quote Stymie at the top of the hill:  "I don't know where's we be going, but we's on our way!"    

• Upvote 1

Guest keninsc

I suppose I could make both parties in this discussion happy by using Nerf shot. It won't prove anything, but up to this point nothings been proved.

Wonder if a Nerf slug or Nerf buck shot would be best?

No, Shelly, and very few good riflemen can either. Only the very best of the best with superb $$$ equipment aspire to that kind of range. Under field conditions, 300 yards is the practical limit for most hunters. Longer shots, especially over 500 yards, require either years of constant practice, or the very latest in computerized laser ranging scopes, and lots more practice with them, too.

• Upvote 1

Guest keninsc

No, Shelly, and very few good riflemen can either. Only the very best of the best with superb $$$ equipment aspire to that kind of range. Under field conditions, 300 yards is the practical limit for most hunters. Longer shots, especially over 500 yards, require either years of constant practice, or the very latest in computerized laser ranging scopes, and lots more practice with them, too.

Three hundred yards can be tough for most hunters without a scope. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, however in basic training we had to qualify on the range at 600 yards with open sites with an M-16 and that light weight 55 grain 5.56 (.223) round. Sadly, in basic I only qualified as a Sharpshooter. After I got back from Nam I re-qualified as Expert. Guess I just needed more practice. Beyond those ranges then you're into the realm of the elite snipers. Most shooters will fall on one of two sides of the fence. One is equipment precision and high tech calculation equipment and the other side simply says the equipment is secondary to the skill of the shooter to put the bullet on the target regardless if he's got the latest gizmo or a sling-shot. Either way, I saw some shots made in Iraq and Afghanistan on a sniper special on the Military Channel. Holy Crap, talk about flinging lead?

Edited by keninsc

Don't forget the immense disparity in the velocity of the dart versus a bullet. The faster the velocity of the projectile, the flatter the trajectory, and hence, the greater chance of good marksmanship and the probability of hitting a target at distance.

The dart will necessarily be a far slower velocity than a rifle bullet.

I think it is very unlikely a BF will be shot at sniping range, since it is mainly a dense forest creature.  Probably under 50 yards, where the difference between a dart and a bullet may not be that great.

1980squatch, both my own sighting, and my son's, were at about 200 yards, in both cases at the far side of a logging clearcut, along the edge of the cut. This is often the csae with game animals here in the PNW, as well. My creature stood up at the creekside 200 yards downhill, across a cut area from me, and then walked uphill away from me across the cut on the far side of the creek, for maybe another 150 yards.

As for close range shots in the timber, I wouldn't want to hit a potentialy dangerous target with a dart at 50 yards or less, as the tranq. takes a few seconds to kick in, and that's long enough for a grizz or BF to close  the gap and have you for lunch before going to sleep.

1980squatch, both my own sighting, and my son's, were at about 200 yards, in both cases at the far side of a logging clearcut, along the edge of the cut. This is often the csae with game animals here in the PNW, as well. My creature stood up at the creekside 200 yards downhill, across a cut area from me, and then walked uphill away from me across the cut on the far side of the creek, for maybe another 150 yards.

As for close range shots in the timber, I wouldn't want to hit a potentialy dangerous target with a dart at 50 yards or less, as the tranq. takes a few seconds to kick in, and that's long enough for a grizz or BF to close  the gap and have you for lunch before going to sleep.

This one appears to have a maximim effective range of 50 meters.

http://vw.animalhandling.co.za/index.php/teledart-tranquilizer-dart-pistol-rd406

Might have worked for Mr. Colyer as he was ~30 yards (~32meters) distant to the target.

Edited by Yuchi1

Sorry, I mispoke in post #43, the OP was reffering to a DNA collection dart, not a tranquillizer dart. So the target will be annoyed at being hit, assumimng you could get close enough to do so, and would be free to come over and take his/her displeasure out on the shooter. No thanks.

• Upvote 1