Dna Dart Gun With Thermal Video Vrs Lethal Firearm

1980squatch

Guest keninsc

And neither do you. It's a shotgun with lower cup pressures, lower velocity and less ft/lbs. On top of that it uses soft lead slugs.

Don't get me wrong it's much better than packing a AR around out there......but there are better choices.

You obviously didn't check out the link I provided. Those have hard lead and very respectable velocities. Those puppies will side a full grown elephant backwards at full charge.

Nothing wrong with a big bore rifle but I might be tempted to take a long shot, at least longer than I should for a positive ID. Last thing I'd want is to take down a human by mistake. But that's just me.

We have to use slugs here in our state(for deer). They don't have the velocity a big bore has. If you're going to shoot, better to have as much knockdown as you can.

There are slugs with published mv's of 2000fps which is ~200fps faster than a Garrett Hammerhead bullet exiting a .45-70

You obviously didn't check out the link I provided. Those have hard lead and very respectable velocities. Those puppies will side a full grown elephant backwards at full charge.

Nothing wrong with a big bore rifle but I might be tempted to take a long shot, at least longer than I should for a positive ID. Last thing I'd want is to take down a human by mistake. But that's just me.

I have yes, and I agree that long range shots should be out of the question for sure......but your not hunting elephant with a 12 gauge!

There are slugs with published mv's of 2000fps which is ~200fps faster than a Garrett Hammerhead bullet exiting a .45-70

Sure, but if your target is further than five feet away? What's the performance of that slug down range?

Guest keninsc

I have yes, and I agree that long range shots should be out of the question for sure......but your not hunting elephant with a 12 gauge!

However, with that roond in that gun I can. So I feel confident I can take down a Bigfoot with it....and it's smmll, light and easily man-portable.

Ok, one last round and Iam done, because I simply want you to have the best possible chance. Your pro kill your out there looking I think that is AWESOME!!!! :)

Ok, most people that pack shotguns in bear country do so for personal defense only. They are cheap, light, hold a lot of rounds, and are effective at danger close distances. No body CHOOSES to hunt Brown bear with a shotgun...... As for Elephants? The PH is going to ask you what you have in the case. And when you tell him? He is going to smirk, go over to his gun case and pull out an English double probably in .600 nitro express.

A shotgun is a fowling piece, it's designed to shot birds on the wing. Can it be pressed into service as a rifle? Yes. But not a good one.

Chuck Hawks agrees.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

Be safe bud!

No, Shelly, and very few good riflemen can either. Only the very best of the best with superb $$$ equipment aspire to that kind of range. Under field conditions, 300 yards is the practical limit for most hunters. Longer shots, especially over 500 yards, require either years of constant practice, or the very latest in computerized laser ranging scopes, and lots more practice with them, too.

Well yeah. I do know about yardage as I do some long range target shooting with some pretty high power rifles.  However, I do prefer to not use a scope so I am more limited to 100-150 yards.  For practical purposes you arent going to get a shot in the woods at too great of a distance unless you were on a slope firing down (hard shot) or below firing up (hard shot). If I saw a sasquatch at close enough range I would certainly take a shot with a .7.92 x 57 rifle. 

OK, Shelly, I didn't realize that your question was rhetorical, so please don't feel that I was talking down to you, as you probably know more than I do on the subject, if you regularly target shoot. I qualified at 500 yards with open sights over 50 years ago, on the then-current Canadian Armed Forces FN semi-auto in 7.62 NATO (.308), but these days my old eyes need some help, so my hunting rifles wear low power variables in the 1.5 - 6 range. I have a buddy who is a target and gopher fanatic, going for the 1,000 yard shots, with some very exotic and expensive gear, which I've tried out at the range, but it's not practical woods hunting equipment. ;-)

Guest keninsc

BCW, you're right about hunting and target shooting being like two entirely different things. I have the same issue now because I can't keep everything in view any more, I have to choose between seeing the front sight or the target when I aim with my open sights. Never was much for using a scope, I mean I can use one but they just aren't my thing.

I own an Argentine made SAR-48, FN/FAL in 7.62 x 51. Great shooing rifle, deadly accurate and just fits the human body perfectly. I have several friends that target shoot and when they do they are so geared up it isn't funny, then when we used to go hunting they thought I was way over geared up. The different was i was in the field and their gear was all in scopes, stands, shooting cushions, braces and a whole lot of other things I didn't have a clue what they were for, but by God, he had them.

keninsc, have you tried any of the low power variables? Set at 1.5, they are great for close in shots, and turned up to 4.5, max for my wife's .270, or 6, which is max for the Bausch & Lomb on my .300 Win.Mag., you're good for the 300 yard shots. This type of scope is much less obtrusive and bulky, compared to the usual scope with large bulges at both ends.

post-23759-0-16562900-1400396191_thumb.j

Guest keninsc

Ok, one last round and Iam done, because I simply want you to have the best possible chance. Your pro kill your out there looking I think that is AWESOME!!!! :)

Ok, most people that pack shotguns in bear country do so for personal defense only. They are cheap, light, hold a lot of rounds, and are effective at danger close distances. No body CHOOSES to hunt Brown bear with a shotgun...... As for Elephants? The PH is going to ask you what you have in the case. And when you tell him? He is going to smirk, go over to his gun case and pull out an English double probably in .600 nitro express.

A shotgun is a fowling piece, it's designed to shot birds on the wing. Can it be pressed into service as a rifle? Yes. But not a good one.

Chuck Hawks agrees.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

Be safe bud!

Yes, but I'm not hunting bears and I'm actually not hunt Bigfoot because it seems no one actually knows what all they do in order to properly hunt them. Best I can hope for is to run across one.

its all good. I need to get a good scope set up for at least one of my rifles but I just like using iron sights. 

OK, Shelly, I didn't realize that your question was rhetorical, so please don't feel that I was talking down to you, as you probably know more than I do on the subject, if you regularly target shoot. I qualified at 500 yards with open sights over 50 years ago, on the then-current Canadian Armed Forces FN semi-auto in 7.62 NATO (.308), but these days my old eyes need some help, so my hunting rifles wear low power variables in the 1.5 - 6 range. I have a buddy who is a target and gopher fanatic, going for the 1,000 yard shots, with some very exotic and expensive gear, which I've tried out at the range, but it's not practical woods hunting equipment. ;-)