Sasquatch 2014- Status

hiflier

Hello All,

I've posted little in the last month and a half or so but still read reports and watch the latest vids and read the threads here. In my humblest of opinions I have observed something that has become a trend of sorts for what maybe the last five years or so anyway. It seems like the "carrot" has gotten bigger but it is farther away than it ever was..

Maybe it's just that the hype is so much greater than the recent evidence. Maybe it's because internet and TV has become so saturated with either watered down, or no examples of the Creature. Maybe it's the money one can make off of the peripheral enterprises that are offered by way of vendors and new authors that to me don't seem interested in much more than selling empty product. Or walking away from a conference with no real new knowledge for the experienced Bigfooter even though I gather they are socially fun to attend. 

In the "olden days" of the 50's and 60's it just seemed like there was more solid trails to follow and books that were rich in content. That could be because the subject was just entering a public domain that was mostly unaware of the phenomenon of a Sasquatch. Maybe because there weren't that many folks involved in the early years except for a choice few like Titmus, Bindernagle, Green, and the rest.

It was an exciting time of strange large humanoid footprint castings and Yeti expeditions to the Hymalya and Northern California, British Columbia, Washington and other remote wild areas like Sumatra looking for the Yeti/Abominable Snowman and Orang Pendek. These days, looking back, have somehow lost some of that wonder and excitement In my mind anyway, 

It's perhaps the lack of passion to solve this mystery if there is indeed one to be solved that I'm noticing. I'm not saying it true for everyone but I get the impression that the proponent Community is a little beat down from blobsquatches, hoaxes, sensational thread titles that go no where and leave dissatisfaction in their wake. After a year here I grew weary of the having the spark ignited by something that seemed promising but neve really kindled into a fire.

Getting back that zeal and a heightened sense of intrique for a subjet that for some reason won't deliver is difficult. And too, having an atmosphere that portrays those in authority as purposefully sitting on the truth doesn't help matters either and I myself am guilty of playing that card which I now sincerely regret. Bottom line? I don't want to see this limbo go on forever. I want this mystery solved. I'd like to see the page finally turned after these past 60 years and turned soon and I think proponents would agree. I think skeptics would agree as well.  

As for the title of the thread? I think the likelihood of solving the Bigfoot mystery is farther away than it's ever been and I only see it getting farther away at each passing year the Creature remains elusive. Maybe it's getting the gist of how to evade the researchers better everytime a research group goes into the woods. It diid seem like in the earlier investigations one could almost be guaranteed of seeing footprints in Bluff Creek. Now with all the cameras and visitors? Nothing.

I don't know but it does appear to me that the subject has lost it's shimmer and the cry-wolf vids and photos have only served to desensitize the public rather than inspire them. Anybody see a way out of the Bigfoot doldrums until a body shows up? I don't, other than to get into the field- and off the internet

SSR Team

The vast majority of Humans will lose interest in things they can't master, can't work out or can't get on top of.

Most anyway..;)

For me I don't see, publicly anyway, many if any researchers out there who are doing anything other than copying methods of years gone by which have failed to produce results.

It's tough however, real research needs time and money time nor money isn't easy to come by when you're doing this voluntary.

One could argue, here in this thread specifically, that the reason nothing has been found despite all the cameras and people in the woods after all this time is because there is nothing to find. Hence why the public does not care. The general public realized a long time ago that there is no such thing as a bigfoot. It is completely a folkloric curiosity and, as such, will not generate a huge amount of steady interest. 

Others will say, of course, that the beast is just super elusive. One thing that is certain: there is no end in sight. 

• Upvote 1

Here's the sum of where we are now, near as I can tell: 

Scientific Discoveries: Hew to no schedule

Human Nature: All questions MUST be answered NOW DAMMIT!

• Upvote 1

Hello daveedoe,

I agree as long as dmaker is wrong. I have to say though (if the NAWAC thread is any indication) that a steady stream of updates from those that are in the field would be a good thing. As steady as it can possibly be too. Even if nothing is discovered in the way of tracks or other evidence keeping members well connected to methods and results, positive or not, as close to real time would be a good step in the direction of encouraging new-found interest.  

I realize that jumping onto the BFF to tell folks that the day was a big fat zero isn't especially thrilling but there are those here that, like in the NAWAC thread, enjoy giving input and ideas for possible ways to success. I take on the atmosphere here is one of disconnection with activities that could be of great of interest to many. Bigfoot or no Bigfoot. It's always good to read about someone's endeavors in the field nd the more current the better.

Hello WSA,

Your blanket statement doesn't apply. There is no schedule. This thread is strongly based in what is.  I'm obviously moving toward more agressive communication from anyone that is currently, or recently, conducting an active search. Updates, methods, and detailed reasons for being in an area such as links to any recent reports etc.

It is worth pointing out that your summation is only of the enthusiast position. For some of us there is no question unanswered and no new scientific discovery ( i.e. a sasquatch) to be awaited upon. The question has been answered ( bigfoot is a myth fueled mostly by fabrications), and the only possible scientific discoveries would most likely be in psychology if anything. 

I'm not trying to start a debate on existence, I'm just clarifying a point.

Edited by dmaker

We're getting closer to confirmation all the time; as good writing on the topic as has been done has come out in the last decade; if confirmation doesn't happen in the next five years - ten at the outside - I won't be stunned, but it will be the single biggest example I have seen in my life how stupid our species can be when it fixes its mind on it.

Sorry, but evidence is like that.

It is worth pointing out that your summation is only of the enthusiast position. For some of us there is no question unanswered and no new scientific discovery ( i.e. a sasquatch) to be awaited upon. The question has been answered ( bigfoot is a myth fueled mostly by fabrications), and the only possible scientific discoveries would most likely be in psychology if anything. 

I'm not trying to start a debate on existence, I'm just clarifying a point.

Point unclarified.  Question utterly and totally UNanswered (although the evidence points clearly to the answer).  But thanks for playing.

Hello dmaker,

And point taken. You're correct in saying the OP and therefore the thred is INDEED geared to the enthusiast. It's a Bigfoot Forum after all LOL. This of course could very easily set the stage for a debate for or against existence which I hope won't be the case. In looking over the larger picture though I see little in the way of trusted evidence for a proponent to hang their hat on and I thought a little more vigorous feedback from those in the field would help breathe new life into the usually mundane circle experienced by said enthusiasts.

Nothing new really, just my usual MO of BF motivational therapy and people in the field seems like a good thing to tap into if they are willing to actively share.

Confirmation will only come with evidence that is amenable to scientific testing and verification, i.e. biological samples. To date, most recently with Sykes et al, this has been a spectacularly miserable area of results for alleged bigfoot evidence. Every single time this type of evidence has been tested it, it has failed to support the bigfoot claim in any way. How is this closer to confirmation? There is no magic number of anecdotes that are going to suddenly tip the scales in favor of confirmation. If anything, I would say confirmation looks further away than it ever has. You have fully qualified and credentialed scientists looking at alleged bigfoot evidence and coming up empty for unknown primates. I fail to see how that is encouraging. 

It does not matter what is written on the subject. What matters is confirming the species. That can only be done with biological evidence. Bigfoot is not going to be confirmed on tracks and anecdotes alone.

Edited by dmaker

One could add:

Scientific Discoveries:  get made only after scientists begin to pay sufficient attention