Sasquatch 2014- Status

hiflier

MIB-

I think some posts were removed here.  I am confused and missing a post, and not seeing your referenced Randy post.

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong thread.  FOUND THEM!

He has since been promoted and is now a full professor I believe.  

Tenure and faculty rank are different things.   Tenure means you have a permanent position, you're no longer on a renewable contract.   Faculty rank is generally achieved by receiving more degrees and publishing / defending more scholarly works.   They can be related, or not, depending on the individual institution's policies   

Then there's adjunct vs regular faculty.    The last confusion is differences in how individual schools define emeritus status: some places, it is automatic with retirement, some require a certain number of years of service prior to retirement, others require confirmation by vote of the rest of faculty or possibly faculty senate upon retirement.

MIB

Hello All,

I've posted little in the last month and a half or so but still read reports and watch the latest vids and read the threads here. In my humblest of opinions I have observed something that has become a trend of sorts for what maybe the last five years or so anyway. It seems like the "carrot" has gotten bigger but it is farther away than it ever was..

Maybe it's just that the hype is so much greater than the recent evidence. Maybe it's because internet and TV has become so saturated with either watered down, or no examples of the Creature. Maybe it's the money one can make off of the peripheral enterprises that are offered by way of vendors and new authors that to me don't seem interested in much more than selling empty product. Or walking away from a conference with no real new knowledge for the experienced Bigfooter even though I gather they are socially fun to attend. 

In the "olden days" of the 50's and 60's it just seemed like there was more solid trails to follow and books that were rich in content. That could be because the subject was just entering a public domain that was mostly unaware of the phenomenon of a Sasquatch. Maybe because there weren't that many folks involved in the early years except for a choice few like Titmus, Bindernagle, Green, and the rest.

It was an exciting time of strange large humanoid footprint castings and Yeti expeditions to the Hymalya and Northern California, British Columbia, Washington and other remote wild areas like Sumatra looking for the Yeti/Abominable Snowman and Orang Pendek. These days, looking back, have somehow lost some of that wonder and excitement In my mind anyway, 

It's perhaps the lack of passion to solve this mystery if there is indeed one to be solved that I'm noticing. I'm not saying it true for everyone but I get the impression that the proponent Community is a little beat down from blobsquatches, hoaxes, sensational thread titles that go no where and leave dissatisfaction in their wake. After a year here I grew weary of the having the spark ignited by something that seemed promising but neve really kindled into a fire.

Getting back that zeal and a heightened sense of intrique for a subjet that for some reason won't deliver is difficult. And too, having an atmosphere that portrays those in authority as purposefully sitting on the truth doesn't help matters either and I myself am guilty of playing that card which I now sincerely regret. Bottom line? I don't want to see this limbo go on forever. I want this mystery solved. I'd like to see the page finally turned after these past 60 years and turned soon and I think proponents would agree. I think skeptics would agree as well.  

As for the title of the thread? I think the likelihood of solving the Bigfoot mystery is farther away than it's ever been and I only see it getting farther away at each passing year the Creature remains elusive. Maybe it's getting the gist of how to evade the researchers better everytime a research group goes into the woods. It diid seem like in the earlier investigations one could almost be guaranteed of seeing footprints in Bluff Creek. Now with all the cameras and visitors? Nothing.

I don't know but it does appear to me that the subject has lost it's shimmer and the cry-wolf vids and photos have only served to desensitize the public rather than inspire them. Anybody see a way out of the Bigfoot doldrums until a body shows up? I don't, other than to get into the field- and off the internet

"It's perhaps the lack of passion to solve this mystery if there is indeed one to be solved that I'm noticing. I'm not saying it true for everyone but I get the impression that the proponent Community is a little beat down from blobsquatches, hoaxes, sensational thread titles that go no where and leave dissatisfaction in their wake. After a year here I grew weary of the having the spark ignited by something that seemed promising but neve really kindled into a fire."

I agree quite a bit here. I have had a long "life-long" infatuation with the bigfoot phenomenon as I considered it the most likely cryptid to be real. I still do in fact. But the majority of videos on the net and stories that no longer ring true, I find myself dispirited quite a bit. I still see occasional videos (and am considering trying to figure out how to do a thread on the ones I think most "real") but I still get annoyed with the banality of the (and lets be honest here) crap that shows up on a regular basis on the web. We have to be diligent at weeding out the imposters and focusing on what we each think is real. And let's face it, we all have different standards.

I must say too, THE biggest obstacle, now, in the past and forever as long as this question is outstanding is...the proposed animal looks too much like us. This barrier is much more an obstacle in some, than others.(Maybe it is just my nature, but it has never in the least given me any resistance)  We should all be honest though and admit the idea of a quadruped in this context would have gone down with a whole, whole lot less drama, and the amount of buy-in to even just the theory would have been magnitudes larger by this point.

All the idea of BFis up against...even before you talk about the evidence, and I'm NOT talking about the evidence here...is only thousands of years of human-centric Western thought, indoctrination, dogma and belief in our primacy. Who is naive enough to say this isn't a factor here? Who could honestly say this has not been a barrier for just the theory alone getting traction? It is a primal, gut-level reaction by some. I understand it, I don't share it, but there it is.    

If there is a BF for me, I have to say this fact is probably the best thing it has ever had going for it. You can't buy that kind of protection, if you were a species trying to fly under the radar of those with the spears and (now) guns.

I am being honest here when I say that the claim that the reality of a creature like the alleged bigfoot just tweaks some cultural chord the wrong way does not resonate with me at all. We have chimps and bonobos who are quite similar to us. I am intrigued by them, but they trigger no dogmatic, evolutionary or cultural backlash in me at all. I am fascinated by our ape cousins, but I'm certainly not freaked out by them at all. Same goes for a sasquatch were it ever proven to exist.

I tend to tune out whenever these types of arguments are offered. They simply do not resonate or register with me personally.

On a lighter note, a dogman would freak the bejeebus out of me :)

Edited by dmaker

I'm not sure that the uncanniness of a bigfoot wouldn't freak people out. I have watched a robot walk just like a human being and tried my damnedest to figure out if there was someone inside of the darned thing. I couldn't do it and I suspect many others wouldn't be able to do the same thing with a bigfoot. Some may well be convinced the bigfoot is a man in a suit. DNA evidence and scientific vouching may work for many but not all. Look how many refuse to accept evolution despite the prodigious evidence for it. 

PS: I KNOW the robot is a real robot (too small) but my brain would not accept for some reason. My hackles still rise up when I see footage of the awful thing : D

I've been working on a sci fi story about dogs that have been uplifted into human like sentience. I've wanted a smart dog ever since I knew that dogs weren't quite as smart as me. They are pretty close though I will admit : )

Hello antfoot,

True there. There are some pretty bright folks here that have certainly set some things right for me that's for sure. It's cool when something comes along that looks promising gets the "treatment" from those with experience, lomgevity, and good memories. it very much keeps things narrowed down into some sensibility and we're fortunate those members are here for my/our guidance. Some things of course are obvious when we give mature attention to them but some are rather devious too. Maintianing rvrn a modicum of enthusiam to keep going can be tedious and one has to wonder if the point of hoaxing isn't contrived by some just for that purpose.  

I think a good shot in the arm would be more in the field, but for those aready in the field to stay in touch a bit more frequently and let their supporters know how they are doing. I'll bet even the ones active in the field can get a bit more discouraged when schlock shows up here too. Maybe we shoulod let thouse out there know we're all for them even if it's just a note at the end of a post once in a while. It may help cement the connection between the community not in the fied with those that are and visa versa. Other than that there's not a whole lot to connect members consistently to much of anything outside the forum

Glad i can bring a laugh Hiflier. (Noticed the typo there now....eyes get worse every year. But hey! That is why we have editors.....we will fix it in the mix)

Dmaker. I know it doesn't for you. You should have been there at the time, and I wish you could have been. Now it is iconic, but only then was it news. It freaked plenty of folks out.

I should add, I think it still does for many who only flirt with the realization. It is almost like the stages of grieving.

Hello dmaker,

I am being honest here when I say that the claim that the reality of a creature like the alleged bigfoot just tweaks some cultural chord the wrong way does not resonate with me at all. We have chimps and bonobos who are quite similar to us. I am intrigued by them, but they trigger no dogmatic, evolutionary or cultural backlash in me at all. I am fascinated by our ape cousins, but I'm certainly not freaked out by them at all. Same goes for a sasquatch were it ever proven to exist.

I tend to tune out whenever these types of arguments are offered. They simply do not resonate or register with me personally.

In this I have to agree. The idea of a sasquatch has never brought out the point of "Human" connection- ever. From the time I first read of them, saw the PG film, and up to today I've not had that mindset. If they exist they are something "other". The great apes, chimps, Bonobos, and Bili's along with Bigfoot all have and do register the same with me.

And that's a big fat roger on the Dogman ;)

@ WSA,

For some anthropologists it was probably stages of shock.

Edited by hiflier

Meldrum has just put a call out for people to submit alleged bigfoot hairs to him for morphological and DNA analysis. I predict a repeat of the Sykes study insofar as results, but at least it is something for hopeful proponents to watch in 2014.

Edited by dmaker

Hello dmaker,

If my memory serves me well he did that a few years back too. Good on him tenure or not. Maybe the Todd standing thing went bust or someone can maybe tell me so 'cause I'm not up on things since (TV for me in almost three years; so no BF shows). Truth be known I didn't even know who Bobo was until last September LOL.

Edited by hiflier

Hello antfoot,

True there. There are some pretty bright folks here that have certainly set some things right for me that's for sure. It's cool when something comes along that looks promising gets the "treatment" from those with experience, lomgevity, and good memories. it very much keeps things narrowed down into some sensibility and we're fortunate those members are here for my/our guidance. Some things of course are obvious when we give mature attention to them but some are rather devious too. Maintianing rvrn a modicum of enthusiam to keep going can be tedious and one has to wonder if the point of hoaxing isn't contrived by some just for that purpose.  

I think a good shot in the arm would be more in the field, but for those aready in the field to stay in touch a bit more frequently and let their supporters know how they are doing. I'll bet even the ones active in the field can get a bit more discouraged when schlock shows up here too. Maybe we shoulod let thouse out there know we're all for them even if it's just a note at the end of a post once in a while. It may help cement the connection between the community not in the fied with those that are and visa versa. Other than that there's not a whole lot to connect members consistently to much of anything outside the forum

True. If I was out in the field like Dr. Goodall was, I'd like a little positive feedback (and wouldn't even mind crappy, pissy feedback).  

Hoaxing likely has multiple reasons for occurring. Some like making others look foolish and others may think they're helping the "movement" along and others may be trying to create an "atmosphere" for others like I do when I plant evidence of elves and reindeer on Xmas.

I think you guys bring up a good point, I think that mankind has touted our superiority over animals and one of the few differences we still have is that we are the only one walking upright. Some people might not have a problem with it but I think the majority of people want to hang on to that and the thought of another upright walking creature on this planet just rubs them the wrong way. I would suggest also that if anyone finds anything significant in the field should not put all their eggs in one basket. Like a large bone or significant amount of tissue or a whole body, separate it, do not keep it together send it to several trustworthy people for analysis and learn ahead of time how to store said material safely without destroying its DNA or such and keep some in reserve under lock and key. I say this because their are a lot of "stories" of missing samples and such, can't prove them but you would hate to have the "proof" and send it all somewhere just to have it disappear, you could never prove that either.

Good point. Multiple recipients of the material would be good. Science loves it when there are multiple testers for evidence. The more to study a problem the better. This is often referred to as "peer review" and is highly recommended for bigfootery.

hello dmaker,

Oh, I'm not arguing as I'm sure it is. I'm just saying he had put out a request previously several years back as well in an interview. I'll see if I can find it.

Edited by hiflier

Hello All,

So do you think encouraging those in the field to stay more closely connected with the Forum is an OK thing? I mean bringing in photos of stick structures, twisted trees, possible nest sights and all is fine but I think more in the way of a diary type dialogue is something I'd like to see too. Something like "today I walked a ridge (for such and such reason) at 2pm on a hunch that...." or something to that effect.

I could be better at this than I have been also. For instance, I went to a state park last June in an area that had a sighting a while back. I hiked in about three miles and camped with another searcher along a pond and did some exploring around to the other side but found no evidence and won't be out looking again until this October. I took casting materials, a recorder, cameras, and bear spray. Now, there's nothing really to report except the fact that I was there and thought enough to let you folks know.

It would be that simple. For those out in the field more often it would be good to get updates just for the sake of checking in if nothing else. A little would go a long way in helping the Community stay current with any ongoing activity even if the researcher has little to report. I would find all of it interesting. But that's just me. Call me nosey but if I'm not active I think it good, and OK, to be actively curious.

Edited by hiflier