Shrinking Bigfoot Habitat........can We Stop The Trend?

georgerm

Left unimpeded humans would kill everything that lives. That also includes the forest , water resourses, and the air we breath. We  need only look at human history and see the truth, we are destrutive to everything on this earth including ourselves. We have driven every major species to the edge of extinction before the government steps in and decides maybe that isn't a good idea. HUMANS LOVE KILLING. When faced with anything unknowed to us, our first respose is to kill it. 

Deer increasing, bear increasing, cougar increasing, wolves increasing, but assume Squatch threatened?

So you know the the first and only solution. Kill of what WE consider to be the excess.

I prefer proper management to under-managed surplus. Something about too many deer, bear, wolves, and cougar just screams death and injury to people... possibly children. We all know that daycare centers and predatory animals don't exactly mix, right? And heaven forbid that a deer cause injury to a child by being involved in an accident with an automobile.

Obviously, there's plenty of water, forest, and undeveloped land for these creatures to thrive.

SSR Team

Three quarters of a billion acres of forested land in the US lower 48 alone, and add another 130m for Alaska.

Canada has just under one billion acres of forest which takes us to very close to two billion acres of forest in North America not including Mexico.

The humans are in the cities too, not in the forests.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_metropolitan_areas_by_population

Guest Stan Norton

Deer increasing, bear increasing, cougar increasing, wolves increasing, but assume Squatch threatened?

Rapid increases in deer populations are nothing to be pleased about. Habitat integrity (structural mostly) will undoubtedly suffer due to the fact that, as you inadvertently point out, predator populations are only just recovering from hitting all time lows not only in North America but globally. 

Seeing as nobody has the foggiest how many sasquatch are alive there is no possible way of assessing their population status. If however we take a look at analogous species across the globe we can postulate that they may not be having a great time. Threatened? Who knows? Thriving? Doubtful.

Funny how so many still think BF need vast stretches of forest and lack of belief in their presence in other areas considered to not be possible but yet the same kind of evidence comes from those spots too as in sightings, tracks , sign etc.  A 100 yard wide band of woods only 50 yards on either side of a river or creek system connecting to other patches of larger woods and bordered by ranch/pasture or corn fields is also more than adequate since they are typically following along the water ways anyway. Also many areas in Mid-America have so many stock tanks of water and small lakes make it easier. Most of the Corp of Engineer Lakes have protected shorelines with many wooded areas reserved for wildlife and limited hunting. Also the point of the increase of prey species and increase of predators doesn't point to less BF either. Very adaptable these booger are. They survived the terrible things of the past , they will survive. Sure they may leave a spot for a while if something changes the landscape drastically but often later there is recovery and they come back  I imagine they were really pushed out from the Ouachitas when they got stripped of forest and surely they thinned out and moved out somewhat but they came back and thrived till today. Central Oklahoma has a  great amount of presence yet so many just discount it as it doesn't fit their pre-existing thought on it. Seriously , why couldn't they make it in an endless sea of corn with a tiny strip of woods along a creek here and there. There will be deer there eating the corn and that gives them too awesome staples of food to grow darn big on ! 

A year ago (could it have been two?), member Lake Country visited (I believe) Nebraska's Merritt Reservoir, and claimed to have heard possible "tree knocks." I questioned it at the time, but he was adamant.

I just returned from the annual Nebraska Star Party, a gathering of perhaps 300 astronomers from across the country. Let me provide a photo of the typical terrain of the area visited by LCB, and proposed to possibly contain suitable habitat for the bigfoot creature. Mind you, this is typical of the western 2/3 of the state of Nebraska:

image003_zps983ed552.jpg

^^^Beautiful place to stargaze. I would think they would need a few more trees. No trees nothing to hide behind to go to the bathroom.

Oh, no, David. I've been assured by numerous (non-residents) that Nebraska is vastly suitable bigfoot habitat. Eh, DWA?

So you know the the first and only solution. Kill of what WE consider to be the excess.

Oh I don't know... we could just watch them die of CWD from lack of management too.

Sound good?

If we have tens of thousands of Biqfeets all living and hunting in suburbia? Stop and think of what that would look like......

There is nothing nocturnal in surburbia, street lamps keep darkness at bay every day of the year. So a night predator is losing it's greatest asset. On top of that could you imagine the number of dead deer parts littering parks and sidewalks? A large predator hunting in surburbia will not go unnoticed. Sightings and security camera videos would be through the roof!

Iam not buying it.

I think this is just what is observed and reported in central Oklahoma. ;)

A year ago (could it have been two?), member Lake Country visited (I believe) Nebraska's Merritt Reservoir, and claimed to have heard possible "tree knocks." I questioned it at the time, but he was adamant.

I just returned from the annual Nebraska Star Party, a gathering of perhaps 300 astronomers from across the country. Let me provide a photo of the typical terrain of the area visited by LCB, and proposed to possibly contain suitable habitat for the bigfoot creature. Mind you, this is typical of the western 2/3 of the state of Nebraska:

image003_zps983ed552.jpg

Looks alot like a sasquatch expedition to me, but with less tree's for most of them.  My trip to central oklahoma wasn't much different from this. Hey is that a cedar tree in the back ground? Sometimes, when there aren't many trees around they'll stand next to the closet one they can find.  :mosking:

image003_zps983ed552.jpg

What I was referring to as Mid-Amercia would be Eastern parts of Nebraska and Eastern Kansas, Central , Eastern Oklahoma, Iowa, Minnesota,  not so much Western Nebraska. But lets look at the reservoir mentioned instead of a photo of elsewhere. Looks like a wooded river corridor runs right up to the lake behind the dam to my point. I would not go there to look unless I lived close but although less probably it is not entirely out of the question. Follow the rivers.

post-1911-0-68442200-1407334566_thumb.jp

post-1911-0-52508100-1407334579_thumb.jp

post-1911-0-58113200-1407334586_thumb.jp

But lets look at the reservoir mentioned instead of a photo of elsewhere.

The photo was taken at Merritt Reservoir. Sorry I didn't make that more clear, previously.