Opposable Thumbs Or Not?

Guest lightheart

The fact that it utilized my bungi cord, so I think it was meant for me. It definitely was meant as a barrier. Laying at the base of these saplings was another sapling that was twisted in half. That was the warning. I took it to mean if I go back there this will happen to me. This was 3 years ago when I discovered they were at this site. This was right after when I fooled them and saw one of them.

I've also read multiple times that it HAS to be BF doing the wood knocks and rock tossing because those activities would require an opposable thumb.  Then I read reports where they don't have them.  Something there is not adding up.  I know there are certain breeds of dogs and cats that regularly have polydactylism - but a gene that removes a tool - you think that would get bred out of the gene pool fairly quickly. 

Horses lost toes over millions of years, snakes lost limbs, cave fish lost eyes. Losing traits can be easy. Rewiring thumbs might be more difficult however. I'm not an authority on hands and how they function (I know how to use them like I know how to use a light switch) but they seem complicated enough to require more subtle changes to continue to function as they evolve the loss of the function. If that makes sense?

Would an opposable thumb be necessary to weave or to tie knots? What about to break a stick tip into a spear point ( the tip in half)? What about to shred palmettos for bedding? These are sincere questions I am asking. Sometimes tone can be lost in a post. No snark

here. (:

I used to play with writing with my index and middle fingers holding the pencil. Not sure why though. I think shredding palmettos or breaking a stick into a spear point would be easy enough without thumbs. Especially if the critter is smart enough for the task. "Where there's a will there's a way."

Guest lightheart

What is back there where they don't want you to go?

Also I see all the materials wrapped in order to secure everything together but I don't see knots. Did the actual structure have obvious knots?

Edited by lightheart

Do you apply the same assumptive jumps of logic in your professional work?

All due respect, but you do not know what manipulated your cord, and you cannot know what was taking your bags of apples without having actually witnessed the activity. I hope you understand what I'm saying, and that I'm not saying it to be mean nor am I ridiculing. I am saying that without seeing the interactions, you are making assumptions.

• Upvote 1

I know what I am doing, you might want to check out the gifted thread for the latest development. It is one thing to make assumptions based on guesses, quite another when I am constantly seeing them and hearing them.

I know what I am doing, you might want to check out the gifted thread for the latest development. It is one thing to make assumptions based on guesses, quite another when I am constantly seeing them and hearing them.

Since you are constantly seeing them, can you give an answer to the thread question?

Guest lightheart

I find it interesting that photos of things purported to have been made by a Sasquatch lack knots. There could be something to this I think. Maybe even if they do have opposable thumbs they are not positioned exactly like ours. Maybe they are longer and don't function quite like ours. Maybe it would be harder to make a knot so instead they just wrap vines around several times to secure. All speculation here but definitely something to be looking for in the field.

Guest Divergent1

I don't hink you have to have an opposable thumb to tie a knot. I've learned to do it while working on my flower arrangements if a second pair of hands aren't available. It's not necessary to use your thumb to knot off thread while quilting or knitting either but I doubt anyone would realize that unless you took up the hobby.

It's my understanding that they have a process to remove contaminates before analysis. I read Dr. Sykes results and I can't recall anything that came back as close to any kind of North or South American primate, I'll have to go back and look, I could be wrong. 

Guest lightheart

There is an interesting series of pictures on the Florida BFRO site from a researcher in Central Florida. As far as I can tell from just looking at the pictures there are no knots. Everything is secured by wrapping several times to connect branch and vine.

Edited by lightheart

From my extensive, 5 minute Google search, it appears that knot tying is not common among other apes.  Some have been taught (no pun intended) how to tie knots.  But from what I can tell, it's not seen in nature.  There is a huge cognitive leap between lashing vines to hold something together and tying a knot.  But most people are not very familiar with knot tying either (from a true knot tying perspective - most people cannot tell you which knot is better at what for specific purposes.)