Opposable Thumbs Or Not?

Guest lightheart

It was a night pic and was of the palm side of the hand so it had a slight curvature to it and I could not see if it was hairy or not.  A very small part of the arm was visible and looked very muscular.

To be clear, in the post before this I meant to say, "The hand was about to dip into the coffee can." 

In addition my avatar is a crop from a much larger daytime game cam pic and we think that someone figured out that movement made the game cam go off lol.  

Well I would be interested in knowing what their faces looked like. Were their faces completely hair covered? What color was the skin you could see if any?

The only time I really saw their faces was from 300 feet away. If they were hair covered, I don't know. Their faces were dark, but I don't know if it was hair covering it or dark skin.

opposable is like ours. When we grasp something, the fingers curve one way and the thumb the opposite way. Pseudo-opposable, the thumb and fingers curve the same way around an object.

There are a few bears in the southern counties and eastern counties of Ohio, there are none reported from my county or any where close to it.

bears are known to roam. and like many other large animals have large territories.

http://www.americanbear.org/Habitat%20-%20Home%20Range.htm

This site suggests that a territory for a male could be as much 8-60 square miles. New young bears would need their own territories and you may be visited by younger bears looking for new homes.

wild speculation. Do you really think you know more than a zoologist/naturalist that has lived in Ohio for 52 years? I have been around bears, if there was a bear here, I would know it. The map I saw just 3 weeks ago of bear distribution in Ohio by the ODNR is the most recent.

Wild speculation? If there are bears in Ohio, then there is a likelihood that bears are near you too. Bears wander around. I would think a zoologist would know that.

you'd also think one would know those pesky bears might forget to look at the DNR map to know where they are supposed to be.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Well hello everyone. I have been absent for quite sometime and just got back on this site. I'm going to say something that might not be welcomed by a few but I call "BS" on a lot of this stuff. Now I am a believer and hope to someday find this critter they call "sasquatch". But to listen to people that claim they know this and know that and when confronted they start back pedaling it makes me laugh. OH zoology I find it odd how you claim to be this bigfoot expert and in reality you probably don't know any more than myself or others. I call BS on your avatar as well. I know there is a lot of reading that I need to catch up on so that's what I am going to do. Excuses excuses excuses does anyone have any real evidence. I want to have my picture taken with one of these things laying on the ground in front of me. That's when we can settle all of this nonsense.

• 1 month later...

In another post, Flashman posted a photo of an Orangutan foot that could have easily passed for hand given the position of the offset digit that looked eerily like that of a thumb. I thought that may be of interest in those who cannot imagine what that would look like. I thought it was interesting.