Opposable Thumbs Or Not?

Guest lightheart

Guest lightheart

I spent a little time reading about knot tying and cognitive development. It seems as if the ability to tie a knot is widely accepted in anthropology as one of the indicators of higher brain function.

Some things to keep in mind might be :

We don't know for sure that they don't or can't make knots.

If they don't or can't it could be that the position or even length ot their thumbs makes it awkward or difficult to tie knots

The lack of knot tying if true could be some sort of indicator of their level of cognitive development.

The lack of a consistent supply of string or rope could also be a factor. Maybe natural materials like vines break and don't tie easily.

Edited by lightheart

We don't know they can't teleport or fly ufos either. Just because we don't know they don't tie knots is no reason to begin assuming they do. I see no reason a human being could not have tied that cord you left behind. Just because you don't know someone did it doesn't mean someone didn't do it : )

There are a couple reasons that I don't think a human did that. 1. I think a human would remove the leaves from the grapevine first, the leaves were still on the grapevine. 2. The sapling that was twisted in two at the base of the barrier. It was a live, 1 inch in diameter maple sapling. It was twisted in half. No human could do this. Not broken in half, twisted in half.

perhaps a bear twisted the sapling and there is no reason that a human would necessarily remove the leaves from a grapevine. Perhaps the perpetrator was an artist?

there are no bears here

You say that with the same degree of certainty as you do that it's bigfoot taking your gifts and tying your bungee cord.

How do you know either to be true?

There are a few bears in the southern counties and eastern counties of Ohio, there are none reported from my county or any where close to it.

It's obvious what they couldn't do without opposable thumbs... hitchhike! Thats why they get seen alongside roads, they want a ride but just can't stick their thumbs out to ask for one.

and now back to the more serious discussion.

Guest lightheart

Well I would be interested in knowing what their faces looked like. Were their faces completely hair covered? What color was the skin you could see if any?

Edited by lightheart

Ok I've seen a game cam pic that was of a very large (3X human size) hand with an opposable thumb.  A coffee can was also in the pic so it was used for measurement.  The hand was about to dip into the coffee to get the corn and so it was unobstructed and very clear. 

Guest lightheart

You would probably be really surprised if you saw a head pop up over some palmettos and it didn't look like a monster as in that depiction.

Ok I've seen a game cam pic that was of a very large (3X human size) hand with an opposable thumb.  A coffee can was also in the pic so it was used for measurement.  The hand was about to dip into the coffee to get the corn and so it was unobstructed and very clear. 

Was the hand hair covered?  What color was the skin?  Could you see the fingernails?  If so, what did they look like?  I know you probably cannot share the picture, but can you describe it in more detail?  Was it just the hand, or part of the arm, or any other part of the body?  tia for any more info you can provide.

You would probably be really surprised if you saw a head pop up over some palmettos and it didn't look like a monster as in that depiction.

I'd be surprised just to see palmettos on the border of the Rocky Mountains and the Great Basin to be honest. 

They have thumbs, they are pseudo-opposable. Unless you see them grasp something, you won't know which you are seeing.