Bigfoot Aroma

For those who have smelled the creature, is there any type of chemical corollary or a specific way to characterize the aroma? I'm not going to be able to build a radar system for an outing in a month, but I'm thinking I might be able to tinker up a device which might be able to identify a chemical signature. If I can give it some range, I might have something.

Shots in the dark, but I thought I might give it a go.

I've never encountered the really rank odour that some describe, but have come across a very pervasive "wet dog" smell on quite a few occassions. I know that's not very definitive, but about the best I can do for a description. I suspect that what I smell is their normal odour, and the much more pungent smell that some meet with is a stress response, like the gorillas can produce.

Guest lightheart

Supposedly the ones in Florida have a rank smell. Honestly I have never smelled that odor at all. I now recognize the smell that I am fairly certain is them. It smells musky like a wet dog and when they are really near it is super strong. On many occasions there is a strong smell of urine on certain trees I know they regularly pee on.

I have a special radar, I call it my dog. If I see him running away then I run towards it. That's my radar! Their smell is very distinct and yet they have another smell that is sweet that I have just discovered within this year. But it is hard to describe what they really smell like unless you run into them and then you know. But a good dog with a good nose will alert you way faster then you think.

Guest lightheart

I have smelled the sweet smell twice Shadow Born. I did not associate it with the hairy guys until someone mentioned it on a thread a while back.

Guest lightheart

Do you think the sweet smell is hormonal then?

Also do you have any idea how long they carry their young, Sas?

Edited by lightheart

I don't know what it is, LH, but that's probably a good guess.

Not sure about how long they carry their young. I've heard everything from 5 months to a year.

^ The least you could do is cite a credible BFRO report.

So I guess what we have said about what we have smelled is not credible. All I know that every time that I have come up on their scent or smell they have made it an effort to evade.Which ever way the wind was blowing and I got a whiff of what they smell like they would down wind me and evade. The only time that they did not do this with me was when i smelt that new smell. What i did encounter was them being overly aggressive, like them knocking down trees and throwing things in the area where that sweet smell was. So I just learn to stay away that area during hunting.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I've never thought of the hormonal idea relating to female reproduction, and that is interesting Sas, and very well could be the explanation. From the reports I've read, a horrible odor is more common than a sweeter smell, which again could be due to the fact that even if one encounters males and females on an equal basis, a female might only emit such an odor at certain times of the year, which would mean that the majority of the time they could be emitting a similar odor to the males. I know that I did not smell anything strange during my encounter, which seems to be relatively normal. I have not really formulated a solid opinion on the cause of such an odor, although there are a number of potential explanations.

So even though I cannot help you with personal experience, I do know that encounter reports include the wet dog smell, a bovine type smell, rotten eggs or sulphur, and that of a skunk. Sometimes combined with one another. I am probably missing some, but those are what come to mind. I am most familiar with the skunk smell, as we get them a lot out here where I live, well outside of the nearest town, and I wish I could encounter a sasquatch smell so I could make a comparison. I also smell dead animals somewhat frequently, which is another smell that I believe is associated with sasquatch. I am constantly dodging buzzards in my car out here, as deer, raccoons, opossums, armadillos, and other animals seem to get hit all the time. They generally move out of the way, the buzzards I mean, but every once in a while they don't. Freaking buzzards, although they do their job well...When they do get out of the way they take their sweet time. Ugly birds, lol.

Edited by JiggyPotamus