Bigfoot " Tree Stumping "

Bigfoot “tree stumping†is a topic that has interested me and one of those side notes that I read and set aside. How common is it, what is to be learned from it, have you seen the Bigfoot “tree stumping†in practice? After reading nearly 3,000 reports of personal encounters I counted 23 instances where witnesses point to Bigfoot disguising itself as a tree stump, and quite effectively I might add, allowing witnesses a firsthand glimpse into this bizarre behavior.  Let’s talk about it. Here is one such example:

Fall 1978

Shawano, Wisconsin

Brothers Tom and Ted were deer hunting in the Wisconsin woodlands, with approximately 2 inches of snow on the ground. They split up, and Tom began walking through the woods looking for deer spoor. A cold wind was blowing, and a snow flurry began. Tom looked up suddenly and saw a large 10 foot high tree “stump†about 40 yards away that appeared awkward compared to the rest of the landscape. When Tom saw hair on the “stump†blow sideways in the breeze, he quickly realized he was looking at a living creature. As he focused on it, the head and shoulders of something huge became more visible. Just then huge snowflakes began to fall during a sudden squall. Tom could see brown shaggy hair hanging over the face, covering all the creature’s facial features. He quickly pulled up his gun and aimed at it but could not fire. Strangely, a voice told him, “Don’t shoot.†This startled him. He became paralyzed, almost frozen in time, gun to shoulder with no urge to pull the trigger. The statuesque creature was staring straight at him, never moving a muscle. Tom kept a bead on it whit his rifle for a full 15 minutes. Both remained motionless. Then out of the corner of his eye, Tom saw his brother Ted, who unbeknownst to Tom had been following the creature’s tracks. Within minutes, Ted saw the creature with Tom pointing his rifle at it. He noticed the broad shoulders of the giant, its back toward him, but he did not attempt to shoot. Ted then circled around the creature and joined Tom. Incredibly, the creature never moved. The brothers quickly walked away, leaving the creature still standing in place. After walking about 20 yards, they became terror stricken by the sight of a dead deer with a stick grotesquely jammed through its neck. The head had been twisted back in an unnatural position.

Source: Jack Lasperitis, W Files

I wonder why it didnt move..it knew it had been seen..

I read a report where a hunter witnessed a BF crouch down and turn itself into a stump through a scope, then two other people came along and walked right by it,Not noticing what it really was..

Ive heard that one, and on Finding BF, a young juvenile, 4 ft tall, was crouched in the dirt road next to a river. 2 males approached it, and when they got within X number of feet of it, it stood up, sort of angry, snarled, and walked into the brush.

Also, from a private conversation, one lying on a back-road pretending to be dead, guy drove around it, said it looked like a monkey.

Its a good technique, because they are mono-tone, and if they don't present a normal outline, may blend in with natural stuff.

SSR Team

This type of thing has been in my thinking for years, i just don't reguarly share it on here for fear of ridicule that would invariably lead to retaliation by me and a warning level increase but seeing's as we're talking about it now..................

These Animals MUST have something about them that enables them to stay undetected so much by Human Beings, something that involves deceiving Human way of thinking, that deceives Human eyesight, that deceives the Human Template and how many of us view and see things.

We have to believe that their camourflauge techniques, whatever they are, are very, very good.

We have to believe that their sense of smell, hearing and even eyesight is highly probable much better than ours

When Humans see things, the first part of anything they look for are the eyes, Humans like to associate confirmed visulization with eye contact, we do that instinctively and if we can't make eye contact with something, then we go into back up mode for a confirmed visulization and find other confirmations that what we are looking at is what it is.

We ( Humans ) use eye contact as a form of social communication and non verbal communication.

So it makes sense to me that Sasquatches take this form of communication away, or at least try to take this form of communication, away when possible during an encounter with a Human, where possible of course.

So this " turning away " makes complete sense, it also i think, goes outside of the realm of the Human Template in the way we look at things.

Sasquatches i'm convinced, are " just another tree " a lot of the time, an incredible amount of the time.

They observe us, then they " disappear ", but of course they don't just " disappear ", they just disappear from us, that's all.

This one was observed doing very similar behaviour to the one in WA that this initial thread is about, very similar.

http://www.bfro.net/...rt.asp?id=23171

I could add a dozen plus reports of this behaviour, Sasquatches hiding behind Tree's, big Tree's.

Other time's if they are caught out of cover, then they themselves turn into Tree's, i'm 100% convinced of it.

--

From this excellent thread that you should have a look at Gumshoe - http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/32134-unique-sighting-report-ability-of-bf-to-hide-in-plain-sight/

I have done the same thing while hunting and did not have anything to hide behind. I tuck my arms and legs together and kneel down, tuck my chin at my shoulder and look over my shoulder with just my eyes. It breaks up your outline. If you want an animal to recognize you as human then just raise your arms and they automatically can tell you are not a stump. That report was from 1978? That answered several things that I had been thinking. That the hearing of words in the witness's head is not knew and has been scrubbed/left out from a lot of reports because of it's nature. Kudos to the interviewer for reporting the whole truth.

This type of thing has been in my thinking for years, i just don't reguarly share it on here for fear of ridicule that would invariably lead to retaliation by me and a warning level increase but seeing's as we're talking about it now..................

These Animals MUST have something about them that enables them to stay undetected so much by Human Beings, something that involves deceiving Human way of thinking, that deceives Human eyesight, that deceives the Human Template and how many of us view and see things.

We have to believe that their camourflauge techniques, whatever they are, are very, very good.

We have to believe that their sense of smell, hearing and even eyesight is highly probable much better than ours

When Humans see things, the first part of anything they look for are the eyes, Humans like to associate confirmed visulization with eye contact, we do that instinctively and if we can't make eye contact with something, then we go into back up mode for a confirmed visulization and find other confirmations that what we are looking at is what it is.

We ( Humans ) use eye contact as a form of social communication and non verbal communication.

So it makes sense to me that Sasquatches take this form of communication away, or at least try to take this form of communication, away when possible during an encounter with a Human, where possible of course.

So this " turning away " makes complete sense, it also i think, goes outside of the realm of the Human Template in the way we look at things.

Sasquatches i'm convinced, are " just another tree " a lot of the time, an incredible amount of the time.

They observe us, then they " disappear ", but of course they don't just " disappear ", they just disappear from us, that's all.

This one was observed doing very similar behaviour to the one in WA that this initial thread is about, very similar.

http://www.bfro.net/...rt.asp?id=23171

I could add a dozen plus reports of this behaviour, Sasquatches hiding behind Tree's, big Tree's.

Other time's if they are caught out of cover, then they themselves turn into Tree's, i'm 100% convinced of it.

--

From this excellent thread that you should have a look at Gumshoe - http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/32134-unique-sighting-report-ability-of-bf-to-hide-in-plain-sight/

BobbyO – You response was very thoughtful and insightful, I couldn’t have said it any better. I had to read your posting twice. Thank you

David, Wag, IA Squatch – Thanks to you as well.

Pretty recently NAWAC has reported this behavior in Area X, one instance in fact related to a sighting by our very own Hairyman and Bipto as I recall, from a couple years ago.  It is discussed on one of the Bigfoot Show radio podcasts.

Edited by 1980squatch

I wasn’t exactly as interested in storing reports and so I do not have the dates and specific locations any longer for these.  All I have now is very specific information extracted from close to 3,000 reports and just added another two hundred last week.

What I find so fascinating about these encounters is how the various witnesses articulate and process what they see and how the creature chooses present itself as a “Tree Stump.†So here are three different similar “Tree Stumping†reports.

Residence / Watching Kids/ Tree Stump

Myself and a group of other kids were playing when I "felt" something. I look across the water to a hill covered with course brown grass with a tree stump at the top. The "tree stump" was very much out of place on that hill. I look again and "it" has moved downhill closer to us. Realizing it was much taller and moving I pointed it out to the others. "It" was tall, 7 ft maybe. It appeared to covered in long brownish/grey fur and it did indeed stand upright.  FL

Bicyclist / Tree Stump

I looked at miles of uninterrupted forest, what I saw was the complete lack of buildings, roads, or any sign other of humanity for as far as I could see. After about thirty seconds of forcing myself to look at the view, I decided to check on the stump again -- just to reassure myself that it was still there. However as I scanned the treeline below, I couldn't find what I had seen so quickly seen before. I looked up and down the treeline until I was sure that I had identified the bush and tree that had partially obscured the shadow, but now there was nothing behind them. For some reason, my eyes immediately traced the distance from the former location of the shadow to where I had rode out of the treeline. In retrospect I don't know why I was afraid of being trapped, since animals in the forest don't behave this way.  Id

Hiking / Tree Stump

Two people, a man and a woman, visiting from a neighboring state, observed the figures on Moscow Mountain sighting. The two were standing just below the peak on a rock outcropping. J’s attention was drawn to a sort of mechanical movement of an old stump in the clear-cut area below. As they both watched the dark stump, they could see a small movement every thirty seconds or so. This continued for roughly three minutes on the lower embankment of an old fire road below. This observed stump was off to the south east of the couple, approximately three hundred fifty yards distance. After about ten minutes, the dark stump stood up. At this point they realized they were watching something alive rather than mechanical. It appeared to be a tall dark figure, perhaps a bear on its hind legs they thought. At this same time J and C noticed a small, golden (blonde) figure running around the large standing one. It was then very clear that it was a smaller different colored version of the large one.  Id

Residence/ Tree Stump

I awoke to the sound of someone pounding on the front door and yelling excitedly. Then I heard my name and "dad" coming from them. So, I slowly pulled myself from bed and made my way to the front room where I heard the sound of one of the bedroom windows sliding open. My son came falling thru and ran to the front door just about the same time I reached it so we opened it and let his other two friends in. They dais this: After pulling into the yard up near the trailer, they walked in the dark up to the porch and started to knock. As they walked up on the porch to knock, one of the three looked back over his shoulder 'coz he heard something and noticed a "stump" down in the yard, about 150' away, near the boats at the edge of the water. The other two looked then to see what he was talking about, when "the stump" got up and just stood there. When my son saw this he came running around the trailer and let himself in through the window. Now the other two could hear the sound of "this guy?" running heavily into the tall grass, sticks, branches and all the stuff that was down in the woods between the trailer and the lake, but then heard it starting to move closer in up the hill. That's when the hard pounding and yelling to let them in really started. IN

Residence / Tree Stump

The father and oldest son went onto the back porch to again investigate the strange behavior of the dogs. The father saw a pair of red eyes peeking out from behind a tree about 40ft away behind a fence. He was able to see the form of a large bipedal animal just before it fled. As this was happening, the son was watching a large figure walking along the pond dam. The figure crouched down at a distance of about 125ft and stayed motionless long enough to convince the son he was watching a tree stump. There are no trees or stumps on the dam.  IL

Interesting article:

..."The effects of long-term exposure to infrasound were studied in 40 active Swiss airforce pilots who were exposed to a frequency of 14 or 16 Hz at 125 dB. Somatic and psychic functions were affected in the following ways: blood pressure was decreased causing deterioration of blood suffusion of vital organs; heart rate and blood pressure were increased during psychological tests; alertness was decreased; the electrical resistance of the skin was decreased more quickly versus unexposed individuals; and hearing threshold and time perception were altered."..... * (p. 14)

* http://www.nvda.net/files/Infrasound_508.pdf

I wonder why it didnt move..it knew it had been seen..

I read a report where a hunter witnessed a BF crouch down and turn itself into a stump through a scope, then two other people came along and walked right by it,Not noticing what it really was..

Best answer I can give is this..

After all the time I have spent in hiding from people, as a youngster with a section of law enforcement, and as a specops soldier for a career.

when being pursued, hunted, stalked or looked for in the woods.

You do not move when the other party is in close proximity.

I have had lights shined directly on me for extended periods of time, walked around, stepped over and almost stepped on. Because I remained motionless I was not discovered.

I am sure they realize this.. and many people have walked right by them and never noticed because they did not move.

We see movement.. just how it works.

A running man attracts the eye a thousand times faster than a slow moving man. Its part of our predatory instinct evolved over thousands of years.

I think most of us have seen the video on YouTube called the monkey illusion and also have tried seeing the picture that changes when it is moved further from your eyes. There seems to be many ways to trick our visual perception and it has nothing to do with magic or the paranormal, but more to do with how we perceive things in our environment. When I go deer hunting or grouse hunting, I am looking for an outline of part or the animal because they can hide in plain sight when they are not moving.

I personally believe that bf uses techniques that fool our perception such as appearing to us as a stump cited in the above witness reports.

This is a very interesting phenomenon. The one report where we have someone who is undetected by the BF observing that critter as it reacts to the presence of another human has got to be some of the rarest and most valuable evidence we could wish for, short of the obvious stuff. Seeing them putting  their "skills" to use and being able to see it happen...without succumbing to it.

I've done my own time in camo and Ghillie suits, and it is amazing how well you can "vanish" into the background when properly employing the gear and staying motionless.  Examples in nature where maximizing natural "stealth" characteristics to avoid becoming prey or avoid other danger are pretty common.

Another piece of the puzzle to ponder for sure.