Bigfoot " Tree Stumping "

No worries, I agree with you. I read these before but wasn’t sure how many people have so after seeing them over and again, I decided to track them and post it on a thread. I do not believe they are reported often mainly because people don’t recognize them but I also believe they use this extremely tactful ploy to approach their prey quite successfully.

Hunters, Tree Stump

November 29, 1992

Somerset County, Pennsylvania

Three men were spotting deer when they saw two well defined tracks with long strides in the dusting of the snow. The friends followed the tracks in the snow for about ¾ of a mile. One of the men leaned against a tree in a clearing and a tall hairy “thing†brushed against his cheek. It didn’t feel like a human touch and he fell to the ground, attracting another friend’s attention. The man was disoriented and could not talk for a while. They heard rustling noises, high-pitched screams and twigs breaking. The men only saw shadow about 9 feet tall.  

Source: Paul Johnson, Pa Bigfoot Society

Edited by Gumshoeye

Tree Stump

February 2, 199

McMinnville, Oregon

Several campers at an isolated ranch were sitting around a campfire when they heard some noises in the brush. They went to look and found some weird footprints and followed them. They went through the woods and into a meadow and saw a huge bizarre creature resembling a walking tree, except for the head. The creature was walking through the meadow at a very fast pace. It scurried away as they shone a flashlight at it.

Source: Flier’s Files #6

• 2 weeks later...

2005 April

Missouri

A lady walking up to a park with her girlfriend and their kids came to a clearing with playground found a four (4TTrack) toed, 14 inch foot tracks and advised the they should leave, as they made their way back to their vehicle the children were running ahead. At this moment the lady sees what she thought was old tree in the woods until it started to move toward one of the little girls …. GCBFR 

Note:  In this case a lady sees what she thought was an old tree "tree stump" suddenly moving toward a little girl running way out in front of the adults. Was the creature watching the kids?   

It was watching EVERYTHING.  And especially one child away from help.

Sounds like opportunity - Made a deliberate move at speed and could be seen by adults.  I don't think it would do that unless it thought it had a good chance to make a grab and successful escape. 

Could have have stood still, moved off or threatened the people to go away.

Wanted a child for something.

It was watching EVERYTHING.  And especially one child away from help.

Sounds like opportunity - Made a deliberate move at speed and could be seen by adults.  I don't think it would do that unless it thought it had a good chance to make a grab and successful escape. 

Could have have stood still, moved off or threatened the people to go away.

Wanted a child for something.

It is a remarkable thing to consider an animal of sorts knowingly resorts to disguising itself as part of of its environment to study or watch a human being ….

With over two dozen accounts illustrating the “tree stumping†experience I know I am not too far off of something interesting here. Others are noticing it and are reporting some good examples. It’s very interesting.

I don't spend enough time at night in the woods. I DO keep my eyes open for stumps though when out in the daylight, and have for quite awhile because of reports like these. Anything that looks big enough or possibly out of place gets my attention. I've been known to stop the car and turn around to be sure what looked like a stump really was one and had no fur. So far...they've all been actual stumps :(

I figure I need to be EXTRA observant if I ever want my sure thing, no doubt about it, daytime sighting.

Edited by Redbone

BF are big and when they can't scurry for cover when spotted it makes sense they'd freeze. Their coloration, similar to other N.A. mammals would afford them a great deal of protection by hiding details of their anatomy, sort of like a built in gillie suit. Add a few leaves and shadows and the creature, regardless of size, blends in to the background. Even jet black critters can disappear quickly into shadow; hell, bright orange tigers do it.

Most camouflage (specifically artificial) works by eliminating the details that we are inherently attuned to like faces, eyes, bipedal form, etc. we are trained at birth to recognize faces and body shapes so much so that we recognize faces in toast and wall stains. By simply assuming a position that disguises your bipedal humanoid shape, you will go unnoticed by a cursory search. Stumps are expected shapes in the woods and dissolve into the background when you scan an unfamiliar of even familiar area; unless you focus on a specific one you'd probably never recall the details of it.

And as for knowing you're spotted, even the best camouflage only works when you stay still and hold your position until you absolutely know you're spotted. I've turkey hunted with buddies and had them walk right up to me without really seeing me. Only if I had moved would my cover had been blown. So I guess leaning up against a BF posing as a stump is well within the realm of possibility.

Says something about the smell most often associated with BF though; if I smelled something rotten I sure wouldn't lean up against without looking.

Tree Stump

October 1974

Mackenzie, British Columbia

A hunter reported to the Mackenzie RCMP and later interviewed by Thomas Steenburg. Witness saw what he first thought was a large black stump leaning against the trunk of a large pine tree about 500 to 600 feet away. As he approached the tall black haired creature on two legs moved to hide behind the tree.  Witness fired a shot over the creature’s head and it turned and ran very fast straight down a steep hill.  

http://www.sasquatchcanada.com/uploads/9/4/5/1/945132/british_columbia-sasquatch-sighting-reports.pdf

• 1 month later...