Bigfoot " Tree Stumping "

This is a very interesting phenomenon. The one report where we have someone who is undetected by the BF observing that critter as it reacts to the presence of another human has got to be some of the rarest and most valuable evidence we could wish for, short of the obvious stuff. Seeing them putting  their "skills" to use and being able to see it happen...without succumbing to it.

I've done my own time in camo and Ghillie suits, and it is amazing how well you can "vanish" into the background when properly employing the gear and staying motionless.  Examples in nature where maximizing natural "stealth" characteristics to avoid becoming prey or avoid other danger are pretty common.

Another piece of the puzzle to ponder for sure.

Hey Ups, I haven’t seen you on the board lately, good to see you again.  Northfork, I think its ridiculous awesome to think a predator that size would demonstrate their concealment skills right there for someone to see. When I read this reports the idea of preeminent predator takes on a whole different meaning for me. What do you think Ups? Illusion is a good way to term it.

One of the researchers that used to come here told me that he thinks he saw one near the road, pretending to be stump, as he was driving on the highway through a river bottom. He said he noticed it just as he got even with it but didn't think about it being a BF at first. After a few minutes he remembered that there shouldn't be a stump there. There was some traffic behind him, but as soon as he could turn around, he went back & the stump was gone.

He said he looks for it every time he drives by, but has never seen the stump there again.

Thank you BC, good to see you back. Hello Sassy, it really is fascinating what they can and what they appear to do. 

Hiking / Tree Stump / Gunfire

It was September 1997, 8 people and myself were camping in the Tillamook County forest. Well anyway, I got up about 6am, got out my 22 and started out on a hike. Before leaving, I heard a friend say "wait up and I'll will go with you" I said "fine but no talking I want to check out the game in the area before they check us out". About 5 minutes up the road I noticed about half way up a hill was a large rock outcropping with a black stump about 9 feet tall. It was around 400 yards from us. I ask my friend "do you see that weird shiny stump on those rocks up there?" He said yes. Then I said "look at it through your scope". Then the gun went off. He said he didn't mean to fire and that he couldn't find that stump any more. In disbelief I looked and didn't see it any more. When looking in the only areas something could go, I saw it walking very fast, long arms swinging, one basic black color. I said "Sh*#$@& you shot at that person!" or what ever it was. We ran back to camp and didn't say much because we did not want to get in trouble. Later I showed a friend who camps there all the time the place and he said no one could climb up there early enough to be up there by 6 am. I agreed. He also pointed out that there were no other camper around this area. It is in the Cook Canyon area, very steep rocky country, great for elk hunting. I am convinced that this was a bigfoot. I've always been a non-believer of bigfoot, but now I'm convinced. I'm always in the woods elk and deer hunting or scouting camping etc. I've never seen any thing like it, including bears standing on there rear legs, both black and brown in Alaska. This thing was tall, slimmer than bear.   OR

Edited by Gumshoeye

None of these instances surprise me. I have watched my (very bright, tenacious) dog outside on my porch chase a mouse. The mouse was basically cornered, with no place to run, on the patio. My dog lost sight of it for a few seconds, and I watched it freeze against the wall. It was in PLAIN site, but it stopped and didn't move a muscle. My dog walked right by it, and never saw it. She sniffed and frantically searched, but she went right by that mouse. It must have been terrified but it froze as a last resort. It paid off.....when my Dog walked on by, it took off the other way and escaped.

Yeah, what a face. Isn't that the 'iceman'?

Back to stumping.

While playing stump, someone mentioned BF probably needs to keep it's eyes closed or the observer will notice it. Bigfoot also needs to observe the human to tell if it has been spotted in which case, it needs to bolt. Seems this stump concealment has risks. Does BF keep its eyes cracked?

The other day I noticed a low motionless cat by a bush and my dog ran right by it. This has happened several times in the last year.

A squirrel was being stalked by this lab and each time the squirrel looked away, the dog crept closer then froze when the squirrel looked in the dog's direction. This happened several times and finally the dog rushed the squirrel and came within inches of getting it. This dog was an amazing stalker. I imagine BF is an expert with this stalking method.

Edited by georgerm

Guest JiggyPotamus

Personally I feel that one is bringing too much subjectivity into the matter when they start trying to determine what the bigfoot is thinking. Can it really be said that bigfoot is trying to look like a tree stump? We know that other primates have been known to stay motionless when attempting to remain hidden from predators or even human researchers, and this mechanism alone seems to be sufficient for explaining bigfoot behavior. I do not mean to imply that such questions are pointless, or that bigfoot is not thinking that, rather I am just trying to say that we cannot be certain. We know they hide behind trees, a physical action, and it would be very hard for us to determine that they are hiding behind trees because they are trying to "be the tree," like a Zen bigfoot or something, lol. I have asked myself the same question that you propose however, and I've even speculated that the swaying motion that is sometimes described might have something to do with mimicking the movement of a tree in the wind, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyway I guess I just wanted to drive home the point that we should be mindful of separating physical actions, which are not so subjective, with the bigfoot's reasoning for those actions. And again, it is perfectly fine to do either one, just don't get them mixed up is what I'm saying, because then you end up being one of those people who treat every new piece of information as having to fit somewhere in the puzzle, without ever worrying about whether the info is correct. That is just my opinion however, and I don't wish to force my views on you or anyone else.

Very thoughtful response Jiggy! Thanks. You mentioned something that brought to mine some thing I recall from college. I don’t want to violate BFF rules or anything but suffice it to say that I that some humans have been known to quiet themselves to death, literally. Think Beattles and their guru mid 60s-early 70s.

Hunter, Tree Stump

November 1990

Manchester, Texas

The witness was deer hunting and was on a deer lease in Red River County. He was sitting on a stool and observed deer scrapes on trees along a creek bed. He was watching for these deer to approach. After he had been sitting there for an hour or so, he turned his head and noticed what looked like an 8 or 9 foot tall stump that wasn’t there earlier. It was approximately 120-130 yards away. He raised his deer rifle and looked through the scope at it. Through his 6X scope he was able to see it as close up as if it were 30 ft away from him. It was looking right at him. It was a large ape-like creature. He kept it in his sight for 15-20 minutes. It never moved, he then heard a snap off to his left. He turned his head to observe where this noise came from, he didn’t see anything. When he turned back to the creature, it was gone. It had been standing in grass that was knee high to him to him, about a foot and a half to 2 feet tall. The witness feels that it couldn’t have moved away in the short period of time his attention was drawn away. He feels that it dropped down in the grass to avoid detection. He further states that the snapping noise was made by another creature to divert attention from the other one. At this time, he got up and left everything but his rifle and backed out of the area. He had had the creature dead on his scope but couldn’t shoot because “I did not feel threatenedâ€.

Source: High Desert Bigfoot quoting Texas Bigfoot

Hello ExTrumpet, these are specific cases commonly known of “tree stumps,†where these things create the illusion of something they are not by freezing in place for extended periods of time and are not tree peeking type of situations.  

Hello ExTrumpet, these are specific cases commonly known of “tree stumps,†where these things create the illusion of something they are not by freezing in place for extended periods of time and are not tree peeking type of situations.  

I understand, and no disrespect was meant...just a comment pointing out the obvious:  that many of the photos of "blobsquatches" are most likely stumps.

Misidentification accounts for the vast majority of sightings, I tend to believe...it's the unexplainable minority that is so intriguing!