2015 The State Of Sasquatch Science

Lake County Bigfooot

The Salt Mine idea is interesting as well, and I have heard stories of Sasquatch stealing salt blocks put out for deer.

Needing salt to survive is something we don't think about, but try going no sodium for a week and see how much you

crave that granular gold. I wonder if animals can actually smell it in the ground, or from distances. Most people think

that Sasquatch are poor smellers, well if humans were forced to use smell to survive I can almost guarantee they could smell salt

from a distance as well.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Meldrum mentions lack of tool use as evidence to him that it is more likely ape than relic hominid. He may be right. But perhaps BF is successful in avoiding evidence of existence because it does not leave tools laying around. We certainly do not see them using tools other than rocks. He mentioned in one video that it could be they discarded previous physical culture for some reason known only to them.

The other factor is that so little is known about the Denisovan, that maybe they never got into tool, clothes, and fire. With only two Denisovan dig sites, much more is known about the Neanderthals. Since they and the Neanderthals lived concurrently in the same area, I do not know how one can figure out which group had which physical culture.

Actually Randy, the evidence from Area X indicated they do leave evidence of that. A wood ape apparently snatched a piece of firewood from the pile and used it to knock on a tree later, leaving it on the ground a good remove from the place it took it from, and some evidence of them using hammer stones to crack hickory nuts. Not conclusive of anything, I know you know that, but maybe their tools are left in plan sight, only we don't look for them as often as we should. I grant you such evidence, even if conclusive, is not likely to resolve the whole hominid v. ape question...chimps use tools as sophisticated as those found in X, I would argue. 

^^^This.

I have seen a marked tendency in this field to label things as "human" that the evidence we have from known species says are not exclusive to humans.

To clear up some confusion on terminology, I sometimes use Hominid in the inclusive form, meaning all primates including the great apes (Hominidae) and our precursors. I guess the better term for what I am referring to would be Hominoid as that correlates better to the ancient ancestors for today's Great Apes. I will use the term Hominin when referring to our ancient ancestors.  Though I think the lines get a little blurred in the ancient past, and maybe not so ancient past. Wiki gives

the following definitions for these terms.

Hominidae (/hɒˈmɪnɨd/), also known as great apes,[notes 1] form a taxonomic family of primates, including four extant genera: the chimpanzees (Pan) with 2 species; gorillas (Gorilla) with 2 species; humans (Homo) with 1 species; and orangutans (Pongo) with 2 species.[1]

The primatological term hominid is easily confused with a number of very similar words:

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

http://fineartamerica.com/products/alaska-eskimo-house-granger-canvas-print.html

Some of your links talk about semi subterranean houses. The Viking longhouse is similar.

Edited by norseman

Crap, Lake County BF!  Hominin? Sure, why not? Your guess is as good an mine though. Might be an equal chance of correctly tagging Mr. Hairy with Hominape. Apenin?

BFF Patron

In the PNW the lava tubes seem to me to be a good explanation of how BF can deal with harsh weather and cold temperatures. It may be 10 below above ground but lava tubes will be in the 40s. Humans in primitive conditions just hole up in bad weather and wait it out. Why wouldn't a sentient BF do the same thing?

This picture is the only stick/ rock glyph that I am reasonably sure was not left by a human and most likely by a BF. The circumstances of its placement has been argued before in detail here but it was placed when I was within continuous visual range of the stump. Something crept up with great stealth left the glyph and retreated without me seeing it because I had my back turned. How would a human have known that I am a bigfooter, managed to creep up without being seen, and it would even be interesting to me? The interesting part are those rock shards. They look fabricated to me and are very similar to hand scrapers or hand knives used by primitive peoples for 100s of thousands of years. The edges are quite sharp. They were fresh and had no sign of weathering.

If fabricated by BF as I theorize, it sort of blows away Meldrum's lack of physical culture argument. I left them there but wish I had collected them and turned them over to some expert in primitive tool fabrication. Many of mankind's first tools were ignored by science for a long time until digs found them scattered around camp sites. They simply selected rocks of certain size and shape for tools for a long time before they started to shape the rocks. Man very quickly began to improve, shape, attach to sticks to form spears and arrows. Perhaps the BF brain just is not creative enough to imagine more complicated constructs like spears and arrows and it is stuck in the hand tool stage. Many of which are just used and left where used. Mankind, when it began fabricating spears and arrows had time and talent invested in the tool so began to carry them around with them. Rocks are everywhere so why would BF bother to carry them around?

post-23549-0-87177700-1422985220_thumb.j

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

^^^

Begs the question as to why an entity so adept at concealment and general avoidance of contact with homo sapiens would lay out it's artifacts in plain view of a homo sapien?

And that might explain why this particular BF in question was not seen doing this...just sayin'..BUT, whoever believes BF is always capable of alluding humans whenever it chooses, or that it never chooses to make itself visible, needs to do some reading. That ain't the case at all, and the record shows it.

BFF Patron

This is the area where I have had several contacts.   Some one or something left these on the very same stump I had placed my pack on to get my camera out just previously.     I have a history with the local BF, including a close contact with a juvenile and adult that preceeded this event about a mile away some months earlier.    Maybe because at that time I backed out and let the adult and juvenile leave was appreciated?  I was very close to the juvenile.   Probably too close and was in danger.     My point is that the rock shards appear to be fabricated.    Not only that but no source of such shards was in the immediate area so they were brought there and placed when I was nearby.     Certainly the arrangement on the rock is not natural.   If some human observed me in the area, deduced I was a bigfooter, and wanted to get me excited by leaving this,  I do not know where the rocks came from.    Nothing like that was in the area.   And it was one of those days where I did not see another human all day long.    The remarkable thing was that someone or something managed to arranged them on the stump without me seeing it being done.   Human or BF that took some crawling to do.   

Related to this, there are numerous rocks on stumps in the area.     Some in very remote places.   Some appear to define game like trails.    But there is nothing with any of them that is at all remarkable and they certainly could have been made by humans.   I have not found so much as a footprint near them.     But each and every time I find one, I get out my camera and photograph them.    Could it be that the local BF have observed my behavior and think rocks on stumps are my thing?   That could explain why they would risk me seeing them in broad daylight to place what is in the picture.    Trying to please me like the time they left a deer carcass by the drivers side door of my truck about a half mile from where this was?   Then again the carcass could have been a warning.   I don't know for certain about any of this but you have to admit it is interesting. 

post-23549-0-38708600-1423004834_thumb.j

^^^

Begs the question as to why an entity so adept at concealment and general avoidance of contact with homo sapiens would lay out it's artifacts in plain view of a homo sapien?

Maybe they like me? 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Guest thermalman

http://fineartamerica.com/products/alaska-eskimo-house-granger-canvas-print.html

Some of your links talk about semi subterranean houses. The Viking longhouse is similar.

Maybe some shallow hollows, but certainly no subterranean dwellings in totality. Eskimos live on permafrost, which was mentioned in the links. Their homes were constructed in ways for maximum warmth and mobility, as they are nomadic in culture. Natives living further south on the plains and plateaus of the Midwest would often dig deeper holes with wood and skin coverings for roofs. Edited by thermalman

Thermalman;

This is funny......Thermalman and permafrost.

In my post regarding subterranean living I used the term 'Eskimo'. As a Canadian, you use the term 'Inuit'. I am referring to the Alaska area ( could probably throw in Siberia but I am holding back for now ).

"House pits--subterranean houses" have been used by 'Alaska Eskimo's' for thousands of years. ( and Siberian types ). Year round habitation at whaling areas required suitable protection from arctic winter weather. The ancient whaling communities of Point Hope, Wainwright and Barrow (Utqiagvik) did very well. Being underground had risks. Burning whale oil in the 'house pits' gave them 'black lung'. Roof collapse ocurred. 5 frozen bodies were examined at Utqiagvik ( Barrow ). Overriding sea ice came onshore and crushed them. Estimated death was between 1850AD and 1500AD.

www.explorenorth.com communities of Tigara and Ipiutak at Point Hope, go back thousands of years. Estimated 800 permanent lodge pits. Some investigations have found an excavation depth of 5' to 6'. Digging/scraping permafrost is very difficult. It's all about that blubber thermalman. Largest community in the Alaska area and more than all of Canada FNP combined .

Decades ago, 1973, NASA played with remote sensing to find 'fallen-in subterranean houses' at Point Hope.

ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/1973001164.pdf.

Permafrost was their cooler for food. Most of the time, they ate raw meat. Permafrost average temperature varies, below 32 degrees F is a good number. They had the best hides for blankets and clothes. Caribou hides have hollow hairs. Throw down Caribou hides on the ground and when it is 50 degrees below zero outside, above ground, with or without wind, you are warm.

The tidal range at Barrow and Point Hope is about 6". Very little driftwood for fire or home building. Roofs were built with whale bones and sod.

I am trying to find that quote about 'being cold ever since the white man came'. An Eskimo may have told me that on one of my trips to Alaska. Eskimo's do not have humor, no 'jokes'.

I have not looked into Inuit historical living structures.

Two Canadian items that I research; the excellent library system and Jolly Rancher, original flavors.

This picture is the only stick/ rock glyph that I am reasonably sure was not left by a human and most likely by a BF. 

Qick. Get that thing fingerprinted now!!! :lol:

Maybe some shallow hollows, but certainly no subterranean dwellings in totality. Eskimos live on permafrost, which was mentioned in the links. Their homes were constructed in ways for maximum warmth and mobility, as they are nomadic in culture. Natives living further south on the plains and plateaus of the Midwest would often dig deeper holes with wood and skin coverings for roofs.

They are earthen mound structures, I presented you with a link to a diagram of one. Considerable excavation is required to make one. I have no doubt that they would dig til they could not, and then either let the summer sun melt the permafrost or light a fire til the soil was soft and then begin digging again. It's doable.

I'am working in North Dakota right now and the frost level in four feet, and we are excavating.

Guest thermalman

Your presentation was good. Excavating with earth moving equipment in ND, no doubt? Bring your bone shovel, homemade rock picks, axes (and whatever other tool you can make with rock, wood, bone, and twine) and have at it on the frozen soil. Go as deep as you want. Not once have I've ever heard or read about Eskimos doing subterranean tunnelling into permafrost. Shallow fox holes or concave dishes into the frozen soil, yes. Any tunnelling had to have been done in thawed soil conditions where weather conditions warranted it, not in permafrost.

Edited by thermalman