2015 The State Of Sasquatch Science

Lake County Bigfooot

I have two different audio visualizer programs and they are useful to review audio files for normal sounds.     But I have to caution everyone that the most interesting things I have found on recordings slipped right past my initial  review of the visual traces.       The problem being that you get used to wave forms you recognize and look for them to listen to and ignore the rest.     My infrasound recording was there but I never would have found it if I had not known where on the recording to look based on time and what I said out loud at the time.      I would suggest if you have an interesting time in the field spend the time to listen to the entire recording.   One of the most interesting things I recorded was something I should have heard with my ears but only the recorder picked it up.  I found it listening for something else. 

SWWASP,

I just read the following report by David Ellis of the Olympic Project, titled "Audio Analysis".

http://www.olympicproject.com/audio-analysis/

He stumbled into the same issue as you (having to hear the whole recording because some of key/interesting sounds were low waveforms).

But then in 2009, he found that using spectrographic analysis was very helpful. He uses a free software called Sonic Visualizer to do this type of analysis.

I have not used the Sonic Visualizer software, but look forward to trying it.

Explorer

Edited by Explorer

Good article Explorer. I need to try out some of that software on some of my tagged recordings where I marked the interesting spots. Could definitely save me some time.

Nice to see the pages rolling when I am absent, as well as keeping with the topic, I have been recording spotty nights just to see what is going

on, nothing according to my recordings.  When I start getting hits, I usually get some type of activity around the recorder, investigations so to speak

Some are obviously small animals, others are not so easy to determine, bi-pedal steps approaching quickly and movement of the recorder, heavy breathing,

and possibly picking it up and setting it back down. It is during such periods of recording that I have captured distinct powerful woodknocking  and what

I think might be coyote imitation. Howls and Moans were captured and even some whooops....It is is hard work but very much rewarding when you hit 

something...

Banging Moan Howl.mp3

interesting approach.mp3

sirens coyotes tree knocks.mp3

BFF Patron

SWWASP,

I just read the following report by David Ellis of the Olympic Project, titled "Audio Analysis".

http://www.olympicproject.com/audio-analysis/

He stumbled into the same issue as you (having to hear the whole recording because some of key/interesting sounds were low waveforms).

But then in 2009, he found that using spectrographic analysis was very helpful. He uses a free software called Sonic Visualizer to do this type of analysis.

I have not used the Sonic Visualizer software, but look forward to trying it.

Explorer

Sonic visualizer is not free, it is shareware.    You can only use it for a month without paying for its use.  But it is not that expensive.    I think it was less than $50 for the rights to continue to use it.    It is helpful and has time control and wave form controls that I found invaluable when I was doing the analysis of the infrasound recording I got.     My previous audio graphics software was very tedious to do that sort of frequency determination.      

I would say we are entering into the prime research time frame and from now till November activity

will be on the rise, I am gearing up for recording and hopefully finding further evidence such

as tracks. Some of the ideas people have given me over the past two years must be tried, such as

setting up a track trap with my own soil or sand, the recorder is a point of curiosity, and I think

they pay it occasional visits. Who knows what they think, only that they keep up with my activities, my

apple tree is really quite nice at the moment with good little apples all about. The amount of cover

for them around the marsh is quite full, nothing bothers my marsh, and it could hide almost anything

that wanted to live back there. The heron rookery is growing year by year and maybe all that squawking

is what attracted them here in the first place, that or the prolific coyote pack.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

SSR Team

Good luck Lake, enjoy.

Hello All,

Is there anyone in the Iowa, Illinois , Wisconsin area that is familiar with good location to conduct research.  I have seen some mention of Governor Dodge in Wisconsin that I visited last week, no action by the way.  But I wanted to know if there were any more spots of activity.  Thanks all. 

Looking for Evidence, I have been researching Northeastern Illinois and Southeastern Wisconsin, in doing so some of my travel has taken me toward what is known as the Driftless area. I think that hillier section of the state holds a lot of promise. Bogs that lie in the bottoms of those hills, near a river system, with ample forest, that would be a good combination. Think in terms of how many different food sources are available, marsh, farmland, forest, river, bog, find all of those in a small area with mixed topography, but the key thing is a river system. The Mississippi or the Wisconsin Rivers must be travel routes. It seems our Midwestern Squatch are a bit more apprehensive than their western counterparts when it comes to vocalizing, wood knocks are more the m.o., try to to conceal your position, or simply play the stupid camper role and act as if you have no idea they could be present, either way do not indicate your pursuing them, that will never work here, and making calls is going to give you away in most cases. I say that from experience and trial and error. Curiosity and food are their downfall, as well as territorial instincts, so be sure to make some good smells, pee on a few bushes, and do something slightly unusual, but not over the top. I would not recommend doing this alone, nor would I recommend peeing anywhere around your sleeping quarters as that can provoke them at times. I once had a tree come down within yards of me just after doing that very thing, zero wind was present, and it was right after zipping up.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

LCB, thanks for the location tip and the advice on how to keep me in the good graces of the Sasquatch while still provoking a reaction.  

I was wondering if any one in the forum has had an experience or knows someone who has been on one of the BFRO expeditions? They have one next month in Wisconsin, and I wanted to see if anyone recommends or has reservations about these events.  I was hoping to jump start my experience with and expedition with people who have some experience.  Maybe build some new relationships in the community. 

For the record

Don Jeffery Meldrum has never physically held or examined a Wallace Stomper.

He also declared the SnowWalker video to be umm... well...

He also studied numerous primate trackways and even the laetoli trackway in tanzania.

Can he be fooled? Sure. But is he light years ahead of us on whats a stomper and whats a living foot that left an impression in the ground? I'd say so..........

• Upvote 2

Recently viewed a DVD titled Sasquatch Chronicles (circa ~1999) which appeared to be sort of a historical chronology on Byrnes, Dahindren, Green & Krantz's efforts.

What struck me is that (apparently) none of these people had a visual FTF style sighting yet they are somehow postulated as the "Four Horsemen" of Sasquatchery.

IMO, that is a large part of what is wrong with this entire endeavour.

• Upvote 1

Paying my semi-occasional visit to the forums, although I have not heard it, my wife has

continued to hear wood knocking in the night, two nights ago at 3 am, she tends to be up

at times in the night. I have to get off my bottom and record, just got diagnosed with sleep

apnea, which explains why I have been exhausted for several years, as well as not being as

energetic as years past, hope the treatment arrives soon and I can feel better, and then maybe

I will get on top of my research, and my life in general. Does not help to have a condition

that wears you down and to have to work 80 hours a week, a doubly difficult task.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my CPAP and am adjusting to it, so I awoke several times in the night two nights ago, during that

time I heard distinct banging sounds, sharp loud knocks, two fast then one, and then about 20 minutes

later again I heard that pattern. Unless someone is squatching my little neck of the woods I have something else going on. My wife has heard it several nights. Getting better sleep is a miracle cure, I am

gaining energy by the day and I hope I can do more and be more productive. The Golf season is ending

in 2 1/2 months and I will have nothing but time on my hands in November, hopefully that will be as active as in years past.