2015 The State Of Sasquatch Science

Lake County Bigfooot

Well I have had enough of work for a weekend, after a 4 day 60 hour or so stretch, if I could devote 25% of my work time to Bigfoot Research I might be

able to supply something of greater substance, but truthfully it is not in the cards at this point. I rely on individuals who have the time and resources I do 

not, and that is the rub for most of us working stiffs. I have an opportunity that most do not in that my yard has seen a visit or two in the past, and that 

is my only reason for being here in the first place, so tonight, 6/8/2015 I started recording for the first night in 2015.

Obtaining a specimen will be a major step forward in understanding these animals because right now there's a serious mismatch between Sasquatch hairs, the DNA from those hairs and Sasquatch themselves. The evidence is now suggestive that they're not natural, but only a body can really prove it because without a body, people will continue to assume that the results are due to contamination. There's a lot more to learn about Sasquatch than most people think.

The conumdrum with the "body" theory as the only way to furnish definitive evidence that leads to "proof" is that (IMO) people have already done so however, the evidence obtained from such resulted in a form of "proof" they had committed a homicide.

Stop and think about this, could any entity that could not think/reason in the abstract have remained so illusive, for so long?

Answer, I should think not, but great apes have been shown to have these abilities, as well as

humans.

What interests me most is that these creatures seem to have language of some type beyond what the

great apes have, and that might be even more telling.

Why would something capable of language, crude tool use, and even some evidence of culture in the

form of art be stuck at that point of evolution, all interesting questions?

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

BFF Patron

Answer, I should think not, but great apes have been shown to have these abilities, as well as

humans.

What interests me most is that these creatures seem to have language of some type beyond what the

great apes have, and that might be even more telling.

Why would something capable of language, crude tool use, and even some evidence of culture in the

form of art be stuck at that point of evolution, all interesting questions?

Perhaps they are a relic population which has such a ideal fit in their habitat that they have not been forced into adaptation to survive like mankind.    The cradle of mankind is one of the more inhospitable arid places on earth now.     Between ice ages,  mankind was forced into large migrations due to dramatic climate changes to survive.    Perhaps BF fit so well into his native environment all he needed to do was change elevations or move closer to the moderate coast to make it through ice ages.     Certainly anything that can run down a game animal on foot does not need a spear to kill one.   I can just see them seeing humans with spears and thinking why do I need one of those?     I can just chase a deer down. 

^^^ IMO, both of you have made some worthy points and I can only speculate as to the why of their reclusiveness except to say if I had such capabilities and after having observed the human condition.....

Perhaps they are a relic population which has such a ideal fit in their habitat that they have not been forced into adaptation to survive like mankind.    The cradle of mankind is one of the more inhospitable arid places on earth now.     Between ice ages,  mankind was forced into large migrations due to dramatic climate changes to survive.    Perhaps BF fit so well into his native environment all he needed to do was change elevations or move closer to the moderate coast to make it through ice ages.     Certainly anything that can run down a game animal on foot does not need a spear to kill one.   I can just see them seeing humans with spears and thinking why do I need one of those?     I can just chase a deer down. 

The vast weight of the evidence says that, beyond the use of sticks to wood-knock, we shouldn't be expecting significant tool use beyond that for known apes.

One of the most compelling arguments against is the eyewitness observations, which seem to be consistently describing an animal that doesn't need tools any more than a tiger does.

I think this speculation has too great a tendency to go off the rails.  Even Alley speculates on the possibility that in the "benign" climate of the PNW they might have abandoned fire (if the human-offshoot theorem has legs).  I can't think of a thing I would cling to more tightly in that chilly damp environment than sophisticated fire-making ability, and I am sure the Haida and Tlingit would agree.

BFF Patron

The other problematic factor about fire use is discovery.     In the day time smoke from a fire, especially in the winter would be a dead giveaway of their location to humans.    At night in an enclosed area where the light would not be observable it would not be that much of a problem.   The military teaches fire use techniques in escape and evasion training and basically warns not to have fires in the daytime.      I just don't see the BF brain capable of the constructs required to make fire.    If it was there we would see other artifacts like baskets for gathering berries and pottery or sewn skins to hold and carry water.   Other than simple vine weaving as sort of an art, and some mice that have been wrapped in grass, presumably for storage, I do not recall any witness evidence of seeing baskets, weaving,  pottery, or other food storage tools.    It just seems to me that their brains are not wired to construct things.    Food storage containers for hunter gatherer humans has been present for a very long time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well as I said I have been busy at work, but meanwhile on the home front my wife has been

experiencing some stuff. Several mornings in a row at about 4:45am she heard wood knocking

from the area behind our house, three then two pattern, which I have recorded in the past.

The timing is interesting as I had my vocal encounter in July of 2013, and the marsh is fresh

with new cattails and new cattail tubers. My little apple tree is putting out its first apples

of the season, and I am eagerly awaiting evidence in some form. Last year I captured wood knocks

but no vocalizations, the previous year I captured both. Prints are what I really want to

find, but they are very crafty in where they step, anyone have a suggestion as to where to look,

they seem to avoid normal trails.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

BFF Patron

Well as I said I have been busy at work, but meanwhile on the home front my wife has been

experiencing some stuff. Several mornings in a row at about 4:45am she heard wood knocking

from the area behind our house, three then two pattern, which I have recorded in the past.

The timing is interesting as I had my vocal encounter in July of 2013, and the marsh is fresh

with new cattails and new cattail tubers. My little apple tree is putting out its first apples

of the season, and I am eagerly awaiting evidence in some form. Last year I captured wood knocks

but no vocalizations, the previous year I captured both. Prints are what I really want to

find, but they are very crafty in where they step, anyone have a suggestion as to where to look,

they seem to avoid normal trails.

You are correct in that they are crafty about leaving prints and avoid human trails.     The BF in my area do the same thing.   In some cases they will avoid human trails going the same direction and there may be game like trails that parallel the human trails.      But I have found several footprints on trail margins where they approach a muddy human trail to cross it, but almost fanatically not step on the trail, they will step on one trail margin near where humans have walked then stride all the way across the trail,  and you find a footprint on the other side.     Usually the first foot planted for the lunge across the trail leaves the deepest and best footprint.      So as you walk your human trails watch the trail margins.     Dry summer weather makes finding prints more difficult but they need to drink.    So watch the banks of any water source where they might be going to drink.   I found one print on mud flat next to a  lake.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

The marsh itself tends to hide prints by the cattails litter, but I do think I can find something.

This might be a juvenile that is left to fend while the parent is hunting, I first heard the juvenile

going off in a response to my neighbor lighting off fire works, whoop whoop whoop, frantic and excited.

It might have been calling for mama, or simply trying to express it's delight. That whooping went on

for 5 minutes, we actually thought it was a young child, then it dawned on me that there is no young

child, and this was coming from and moving around in the marsh area. It was several nights later at 3:50 am that I heard that same whooping, I mean the same very individual, it was that identifiable, responding to a spot light. Well I am convinced they are using my marsh, but I fight to prove that even to

myself.

BFF Patron

Juveniles seem to do things an adult will not do. More curious about humans I suppose. The one picture I have is a juvenile that was curious enough about me to stick its head up and peek at me, just as I took a picture. An adult was there and I saw nothing of it. It seemed to know enough to avoid peeking or movement. If they communicate I am sure the juvenile got a parental lecture later.

I agree on the juvenile lecture theory, no more vocalizations of that nature have occurred, some moans and some other types of sounds, but it makes sense that in an area like mine that is a big no no. I was

extremely fortunate in that circumstance to catch that youngster off guard. I suppose that it takes a set of behaviors or codes of conduct to survive in such a way unknown to most of us. Not exposing yourself in daylight, not vocalizing near humans, using only certain hours of the day to complete activity, it is like a covert operation at all times, and these are the best operatives on the planet!

BFF Patron

They have an amazing skill set in avoidance. Much of that cannot be taught and can only be acquired using practice methods like humans do to learn to become snipers and special operations where stealth and quiet movement is absolutely necessary. I suppose one method would be to find a group of harmless humans and practice approach, exploration and silent retreat. A day use area in my old research area had signs that something had approached on an overlooking hillside. At one time there was evidence of a lot of traffic to a bluff overlooking the day use area. I could not see why deer or other animals that avoid would congregate near humans. I could just see curious BF approaching the area and watching humans with children. So many accounts are out there about night camp exploration and that sort of thing. BF parents could evaluate a group of humans, and encourage their older offspring to practice their skill set. Could that be the source of the accounts where humans on trail say they are being followed? Perhaps there is nothing at all sinister about the process but just skill set development? Certainly the same sort of thing might not be a good idea if the humans are deer hunters.

BFF Patron

Saw an interesting presentation at Hopsquatch in Portland yesterday. Saw why perhaps some people who have years in the woods never see FB. The speaker had done graduate level work on human cognitive, memory, and recall. He recounted a number of experiments done by various scientists and conducted on the people in attendance. One experiment that was a short video was played for the audience. The audience was asked to watch the basketball players who had on light color shirts, and ignore the players with dark colored shirts. The audience (us) were asked to count the number of times the basketball was passed between each white shirted players, ignore the dark shirted players, and if we were good, count the number of times a bounce was used instead of a direct pass. There were 3 white shirted players and 3 dark shirted players. They circled around each other passing between each other. He ran the videa and I did pretty well counting 14 of the 15 passes. With one ground bounce. But right in the middle of the experiment a human in an ape suit walked through the scene entering at the right side dodging players and exiting the scene to the left. Probably total time on the screen for the ape was about 5 seconds. Then audience members were asked to recall the number of passes. Many got all 15 passes. Then the speaker asked if anyone had seen something else interesting. I and only about half the people had seen the ape. Every time this experiment is run approximately only half the people see the man in the ape suit. People did not believe it was there until the video was run again and they were looking for it. They were amazed that they missed it the first time. The only group of people that consistently perform better at this experiment that the public at large and see the ape more than 70 some percent, is basketball players who play at the junior high level or higher. They reason, they are used to watching ball movement and everything else going on during the game and pick up on the person in the ape suit. The rest of us in about half the cases, are concentrating on counting the passes and ignore the person in the suit. If you are not looking for a ape in the woods, and involved in some other task, this experiment shows that half the people may not see it.

Memory was discussed and several experiments with memory. One that was very interesting was that the same day we experience or learn something we recall it with over 90% accuracy. Two days later it is barely 75% a week later about 50%, a year later 20% where the drop off has flattened out. And memories can change with time. People exposed to situations will get details confused and change them around in their memory. That process is so strong that when corrected with real evidence they refuse to believe it and want to believe the revised version their mind has created.

Stress and memory was discussed. During a stress situation like a BF encounter, the memory or performance ability of the witness to process it is a bell curve. Low stress and memory and performance is not very good. Get jazzed or exited and up to a point our ability to perform and remember increases. Beyond that at extreme stress levels human performance and memory deteriorates. If it is bad enough we are basket cases. The military performed and was very interesting in this stuff. Some of their experiments where the subjects thought they were going to die are so unethical they have been banned.

Anyway much of this is pertinent to both a witness who has an encounter and a researcher who interviews or seeks to have his own experiences and document them. The entire presentation was video taped and should be available at some point. Might be considered dry and scientific but very very pertinent to BF researchers.

I agree on the juvenile lecture theory, no more vocalizations of that nature have occurred, some moans and some other types of sounds, but it makes sense that in an area like mine that is a big no no. I was

extremely fortunate in that circumstance to catch that youngster off guard. I suppose that it takes a set of behaviors or codes of conduct to survive in such a way unknown to most of us. Not exposing yourself in daylight, not vocalizing near humans, using only certain hours of the day to complete activity, it is like a covert operation at all times, and these are the best operatives on the planet!

We have referred to the little ones as "tiny ninjas" at times.  They are fast, smart, playful, inquisitive and very, very athletic.  I found one such little hairy kid in a video of Barb's and gave Thinker Thunker a heads up to get his opinion.  Still haven't heard anything though but I know that we all get busy and involved in other stuff.