Bigfoot - Ferocious And Invincible ?

Guest Lesmore

Guest Lesmore

Discussion I like; discussion I welcome. I might even point out that I quite enjoy your posts, and you don't strike me as much of a "believer" yourself. However, I have also never seen you point at someone's post and basically say "fix it so that it doesn't imply BF exists". It just comes off as a very snarky and non-contributive comment that is basically the opposite of "discussion".

However, it is certainly not my intention to derail this thread, and I should probably just let it go.

As the OP I would be the individual responsible for this thread.

To reiterate...here is the original post:

"I read a lot of comments about the presumed ferocity of BF, the alleged abilities of BF to take apart any living man or beast.

How is this known to be the case ? "

As you can see, my intention was to ask how individuals how they know what they state about BF's attributes, to be the case.

That is the point of the entire post. So if as the OP I'm asking you how you can confirm speculative comments....I would say that is fair comment.

Les

Discussion I like; discussion I welcome. I might even point out that I quite enjoy your posts, and you don't strike me as much of a "believer" yourself. However, I have also never seen you point at someone's post and basically say "fix it so that it doesn't imply BF exists". It just comes off as a very snarky and non-contributive comment that is basically the opposite of "discussion".

However, it is certainly not my intention to derail this thread, and I should probably just let it go.

Thank you for the compliment though oddly enough, I feel the stance I take on the topic of Bigfoot should probably not warrant it. :lol:

I can't speak for Lesmore and I may see your point, but then again discussions are often started by asking questions.

How do you don't know if any of this is true.

Can you confirm any of this speculation ?

Some of it from face-to-face experience. Some of it from consistently reported characteristics.

"I read a lot of comments about the presumed ferocity of BF, the alleged abilities of BF to take apart any living man or beast.

As you can see, my intention was to ask how individuals how they know what they state about BF's attributes, to be the case.

That is the point of the entire post. So if as the OP I'm asking you how you can confirm speculative comments....I would say that is fair comment.

Les

Right, you ask a question that you know there is no answer to. The correct answer is obviously "we don't". I guess there was no reason for any of this "discussion".

I just don't see what you are trying to accomplish by making this post, that's all. I am really only being honest. Are we supposed to say- "gee he's right, we don't know this to be true... we'd better preface every post on the subject with that fact so as not to create a fallacy with every post". I really am NOT trying to be combative here, I just don't understand the train of thought here. You haven't told us anything we don't know; you have only made it clear that you want us to indicate in every post that what is being typed cannot be backed up with any proof, am I right?

Good for you for indicating that it is speculation. I have no difficulties with speculation, just as long as people separate fact, from speculation or fiction.

Just an observation...that is not directed at all to you Gearman...but I sometimes find that many posts/threads in this forum, seem not to discriminate the difference between fact and fiction.

speculation & fiction aren't necessarily the same.

fiction is an intentionally made up story, speculation is just an idea, & could very well be based on personal observations or an accumulation of similiar details from multiple reports.

as far as witnesses & discriminating the difference between fact & fiction,if you weren't there looking over their shoulder how do you know it's fiction?

seems to me sometimes thats where the real discrimination lies.

Guest Lesmore

Les says:

Les

NGK says:

Right, you ask a question that you know there is no answer to.Your opinion. The correct answer is obviously "we don't".Don't presume to speak for everybody. Others have different experiences and have had different answers...check out out all the comments and you may see. I guess there was no reason for any of this "discussion".Again...your opinion.

I just don't see what you are trying to accomplish by making this post, that's all. I've explained to you in past responses, quite clearly. But your responses are the same....you don't know what I mean....what am I trying to accomplish, etc. No one else seems to be confused. Perhaps as the warden in Cool Hand Luke said...what we have here is a failure to communicate :D and leave it at that. I am really only being honest. Are we supposed to say- "gee he's right, we don't know this to be true... we'd better preface every post on the subject with that fact so as not to create a fallacy with every post". I really am NOT trying to be combative here,Sure you are. You continue bringing up the same points, even after explanations to your questions. I just don't understand the train of thought here. You haven't told us anything we don't know; you have only made it clear that you want us to indicate in every post that what is being typed cannot be backed up with any proof, am I right? If you want to write about speculative fantasy, then be clear that it is speculative. But as I've said before, fantasy, what if and pure speculative posts just contribute to the idea that those interested in BF are a fringe group.

I don't see much point in continuing this 'discussion' as it seems to be circular.

Edited by Lesmore

Guest Lesmore

speculation & fiction aren't necessarily the same.

fiction is an intentionally made up story, speculation is just an idea, an idea...'made up...& could very well be based on personal observations or an accumulation of similiar details from multiple reports....so could fiction be based on the same....

as far as witnesses & discriminating the difference between fact & fiction,if you weren't there looking over their shoulder how do you know it's fiction?

seems to me sometimes thats where the real discrimination lies.

....I'm pretty good at separating fact from fiction...especially when it starts with...'what if....

It posts masquerading fiction as fact, that don't help the BF community who have a genuine interest in getting down to understanding whether BF does exist. The general BF community has more than enough problems with credibility and if fantasy..'what if'... posts continue all that does is further erode what little credibility the BF community at large has.

As far as contributing something...posting fantasies doesn't cut it. It reinforces the 'fringe' element that many outside the BF community... feel those interested in BF belong. I happen to think that the BF community deserves more.

Another concern I have is that I do believe those who fantasize about BF attributes...blur the line between what is real and what is not....among those who are relatively new to the BF issue.

I don't see how unlimited speculation contributes anything to the BF issue.

I have to agree with Lesmore, Bigfooters who want to be taken seriously have to start drawing the line somewhere. For those who don't well, keep right on with what you are doing, you're doing fine. As for those that do however, I’m not saying one should come in with an iron-fist and make that distinction but people should take it upon themselves to start asking themselves “why or what is the reason for such assumptions?†If you look at one of the articles linked here it states,

More than 50 years ago, Maynard Smith and Savage (1956) showed that the musculoskeletal systems of mammals can be adapted for strength at one extreme and speed at the other but not both.

There are limits to all creatures. There is really no animal that can do it "all". Now look at the rest of the posts here. What we have is a “Super-beast†breaking every physical and biological law that we know and the only thing that seems to be capable of stopping it are people’s imagination. Some of us look at it as mere fantasy or speculation but there are those that are willing to take it as fact. So where do you draw the line?

It would be foolish and naive of one to simply accept everything they read or hear. One should always question the validity of something they don’t understand or doesn’t seem quite right to them. Though personally I believe it is ok to think outside of the box everyone in awhile and in fact many discoveries have been made by people who were willing to do so, it would probably be wise to still keep your feet on the ground and not stray off into the stratosphere. :lol:

“Quackery has no friend like gullibility.â€

Guest Crowlogic

It has to be considered that Bigfoot isn't quite as big as legend sometimes put it. 15 ft tall, 10 ft tall, even 9ft tall I don't think is realistic. So lets say a big male is 8ft tall. Still a large animal. A big Grizzly I think outweighs the hypothetical Bigfoot and has massive claws and teeth that are not only for hunting but for self defense against other bear. A Grizzly can kill another Grizzly and that says a lot.

....I'm pretty good at separating fact from fiction...especially when it starts with...'what if....

Bad day les?

yeah,a lot of BS gets thrown out there & it doesn't help.but the flip side of that is many proponents are the biggest skeptics /critics that shoot down that crap.seems after awhile repeat offenders get ignored. Then maybe they go away.

Circular arguments? Yes I agree,mentioned that myself some time ago in another thread,thus my avatar.but this is ,as the rules say, a forum for BF discussion,not a research site, so that's what you're going to get, imo.have fun with it or run from it,life is too short to get worked up over this, imo.

The reasoning skills of BF must then be highly advanced compared to most other warm-blood creatures. I only assume this to be true because this understanding doesn't stop all warm-blooded creatures from going after man. Every now and then you hear stories of a man being mauled by animals such as dogs, bears, monkeys, and even other humans.

Yet, we hear of all these face-to-face encounters.

That's because you've got other factors in play here. Dogs that attack usually have an idiot for an owner that abuses the dog or uses it as a weapon. Bears attacks are almost entirely attributed to diseased bears that are hungry and those defending their young or their food.

I suspect that most face-to-face encounters are because BF wanted it to occur and was done so on its terms.

Here's an interesting side note related to black bears. Of all the human fatalities by black bears in the past 110 years, not one person carrying bear spray has been killed. That's instructive.

Edited by wiiawiwb