Bigfoot (Smallpox) Epidemic In 1500's

JDL

I wonder if a prior pandemic, aside from violent persecution, helped condition and select BF to want to eschew humans...

They would not need to understand the mechanism of transmission IMO, to be able to form a cause and effect. Pink men come, we play with their things(kids, females) and we all die.

Guest poignant

They would not need to understand the mechanism of transmission IMO, to be able to form a cause and effect. Pink men come, we play with their things(kids, females) and we all die.

Agreed.

Guest Particle Noun

When one realizes how completely the native population was decimated by Small Pox and other plagues before the Mayflower ever touched our shores, it would make perfect sense for the population of Bigfoot to have taken a big hit also.

Guest poignant

Exactly, which may explain their avoidance of humans and reported look of disgust from eyewitness reports.

Guest craichead

When one realizes how completely the native population was decimated by Small Pox and other plagues before the Mayflower ever touched our shores, it would make perfect sense for the population of Bigfoot to have taken a big hit also.

Very true and this is an interesting topic I'd never thought of.

The book "1491" has been mentioned in this thread and it's a really interesting book. One theory presented in the book regards the spreading of disease by DeSoto's expedition from Florida to Texas in 1547. In order to supply his troops he brought over 600 pigs with him on the march. Many of these escaped (to later become the wild hogs in the American south) and it's theorized that consuming these animals led to diseases in the native population. Theoretically a sasquatch could be eating these same hogs.

I think the Bigfoot epidemic we need to worry about is Tetanus. Stepping over rusty barbed wire fences, impaling their foot on a rusty fishing hook while porpoising for salmon, or even just a little cut on the foot, and then walking around in the dirt. ewww.

They vaccinate apes against diseases, maybe the government should start a Bigfoot Vaccination Department, it could operate under the ESA (endangered species act), and they could tag and vaccinate the Bigfoots against common diseases.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120206143946.htm

Guest wudewasa

Remember that trade networks were extensive, complex and readily accessible in precolumbian America. The long incubation of the smallpox virus makes it easier to spread out into communities, combined with the ease of transmission of viruses to unaffected individuals, and the long overall time that a person is infected. It wouldn't take long for this disease to spread to other villages, affecting the entire population.

This link details the different stages of smallpox infection well.

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/overview/disease-facts.asp

Just a little addition here. Clearly our past invasion of the Americas had huge negative impact, from disease to species extinctions (almost right? including Native Americans)..... that period certainly lasted from our main thrust here so say 1400's until we left the forest in droves..post WWII. When I was born in the mid 1950's on a farm, 35% of other families were also on farms, today that is under 2% - in just one generation!

so much to say on these changes, but I will avoid (too long) and just suggest that sometime in the mid 1200's many NA cultures took on a very defensive stance, some ruins in the SW built and abandoned all in about 1 or 2 generations...still a mystery... some theorize poor ag practices, any number of reasons, but mostly this remains a mystery across many sites in the US..

I came across a study, many years ago, on the rate of disease transfer....a theory of course, but pretty sound and (yes peer reviewed lol) and given the speed that a disease travels in advance of the introducing person......it is possible disease swept through the Americas even before we "officially" arrived.....and our perception of the devastation is limited..... could it be a possibilit defensive retreats or settlement abandonment had to do with disease?

I also thought perhaps the 1200's could have coincided with the uprising of BFs one reads about in the mound culture legends.... who knows? But I can say one of these defensive cliff dwelling areas, so shortly used, is in the heart of my BF site....there are still small corn cobs in them, and pot shards..not many hike up there or know...although that is changing the last decade as almost 5 million people live in Az now....and in the late 60's there were under 1 million....Phoenix was about 250,000 when I moved there from farm..and when I left last year..almost 4 million... (yeah almost everyone lives in two cities in Az..Tucson and Phoenix....)

Edited by apehuman

Guest wudewasa

apehuman,

The climate changed, it MUST be a squatch that did it! j/k!

Seriously though, here are several links about climate change in the Americas around 1200 AD. There is no evidence that bigfoot was involved, and without such evidence, I can't subscribe to "Occupy Turtle Island" by sasquatches. btw, "Turtle Island" is one of the many aboriginal names for America!

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v384/n6609/abs/384552a0.html

http://seagrant.uaf.edu/news/02news/04.17.02salmon-boom.html

> I have often wondered what in the world made people build such remote and hard to reach villages, there under the canyon rims of the Southwest.

The villages are built where springs seep from the rock, where it's defensible, invisible from the plateau, and there is a flattish spot to build on. The terrain is so rugged, just to find a suitable spot to build must have been pretty challenging. We visited Mesa Verde a few years ago. It was startling to think how hard it must have been to haul construction materials up there, for instance. And to access it, you have to crawl through a tunnel thing and climb up....very defensible. What drove them to such measures? Fear of enemies? Who? It speaks of some great fear or an excess of caution.

>I do wonder if someone from some part of the "Old World" visited some part of America, imparting to the natives foreign germs and viruses.

Between 300 and 1200 AD, the Polynesians may have visited America. Sweet potatoes and Polynesian chickens arrived for sure.

There was contact between the Inuit and the Norse know to occur around that time, as well. Their sagas and annuls tell of that.

The Chinese wrote of Muslim sailors finding what might have been America, as well.

Legend has it that a Welsh prince (Madoc) was in America at the end of the 12th Century, so that also fits.

So, there was ample opportunity for disease to make people fearful or dead.

Guest wudewasa

Madoc is a great story, but no physical evidence exists to support the notion. As far as DNA goes, one would have to sample precolumbian remains and test for genetic markers that exist in certain human populations.

http://www.nps.gov/meve/forteachers/upload/ancestral_puebloans.pdf

So you have looked at the history of the Peublo tribe, and decided that perhaps they built their cliff dwellings because of Bigfoot?

Warring tribes? no.

Political differences? no.

Bigfoot? yep.

Of course 100 years later all the people were gone from the cliffs, most say it was because of drought, but perhaps Bigfoot drove them away.