Collection Of Voucher Specimens

norseman

^^^ More supposition and speculation with a healthy dose of no consequence, legal analgesics for the killer.

Edited by Yuchi1

Why can't you just catch Bigfoot in a giant net?

Then you both can be happy, and not have to worry about whether an imaginary beast is a human, or just another species of Giant, Bipedal primate.

Why can't you just catch Bigfoot in a giant net?

Then you both can be happy, and not have to worry about whether an imaginary beast is a human, or just another species of Giant, Bipedal primate.

If your giving the beast constitutional rights???

Pretty sure that would be considered assault and kidnapping!!

I'd rather catch a million non-human sasquatch in a net, than shoot one human sasquatch through the boiler room with a 30-06 round.

If it's really human? What's stopping it from shooting you in the boiler room? Arrow? Poison dart? Spear? Sling/stone combo? Stolen rifle?

Good luck with your net......

Since they could be a subspecies of homo, killing one becomes a bridge you cross with no return. 

I go on the assumption that killing another member of genus homo, whether it's sapiens sapiens or other subspecies would qualify as homicide. So there is the ethical hurdle.

It can be overcome by simply providing a new unique great ape sequence of about 600 base pairs from the CO1 gene used in barcoding wildlife surveys. This gene is like an evolutionary clock that is conserved enough to be identical within a specific species yet mutates enough over time to distinguish different species with enough divergence.

This gene's use in this regard is common enough that if bigfoot were identical on this gene you'd have one heck of a hard time getting an OK from any authority to take a voucher specimen. 

Homicide? Really?

You have just made one of the most important discoveries in human history. But you don't know that when you pull the trigger....... It's a giant, covered in hair, with 18 inch feet. It does not make fire, tools or shelter.

No way a Homo designation makes you a murderer.

To put it in to perspective? The hobbit has gone from a dwarf human to a sub species of homo Erectus to now being considered something more akin to a austropethicus.

Outside of our own species the lines gray quite abit. Some people want to extend human rights to chimpanzees.

The death of one individual will be far outweighed by the discovery of a species. Besides it's not human anyhow.

Guest Divergent1

A specimen should be taken.......

That's just one white man's opinion, did you ask the hairy man what he might think about it?

Homicide? Really?

You have just made one of the most important discoveries in human history. But you don't know that when you pull the trigger....... It's a giant, covered in hair, with 18 inch feet. It does not make fire, tools or shelter.

No way a Homo designation makes you a murderer.

To put it in to perspective? The hobbit has gone from a dwarf human to a sub species of homo Erectus to now being considered something more akin to a austropethicus.

Outside of our own species the lines gray quite abit. Some people want to extend human rights to chimpanzees.

The death of one individual will be far outweighed by the discovery of a species. Besides it's not human anyhow.

I'm not picking on you but I do have to say that after touring many of the historical sites down here in Al., they thought the same thing about the slaves to justify the slave trade. You won't know whether they are human for sure without observation or interaction. Killing one of them might put a damper on that opportunity for you.

If your giving the beast constitutional rights???

Pretty sure that would be considered assault and kidnapping!!

Shorter sentence for you if it's true, whether it's a human in a squatch suit or a squatchy human.

Guest Divergent1

I know nothing I'm going to say will make any difference but I think you are being obstinate about dismissing the risk involved here, not to mention that numerous reliable sources state it isn't necessary to kill something to prove it exists. In a hypothetical situation, much like Justin's, let's assume that you are absolutely certain that you have a sasquatch in your sight and that you have clearly identified the target. What would be the real reason that you would want to kill one whether it's human or animal? It seems to me they have done extremely well on their own.