Collection Of Voucher Specimens

norseman

What if it was out in the open and clearly a squatch at 1700 ? Are you a good shot? How good compared to say.. Carlos Hathcock? He made some pretty far shots.

1700 yards is a stupidly ridiculous long shot when attempting to kill (cleanly or otherwise) a creature like a sasquatch when the whole goal is to recover a body as proof. With a lot of practice and some luck you could probably hit one at that range, but dropping it in its tracks with one shot so the body can be recovered is treading dangerously close to fantasy.

Yep okay you just keep waiting for that day

Call me wild and crazy but I'll be watching for the news story when they lead you downtown in cuffs (and bulletproof vest) while an angry crowd screams murderer and spits in your face.  Your home will be besieged with protesters, the media and every form of nutjob imaginable to haunt your family and friends. If the DNA results come back as lower primate you will likely only be charged with felony animal cruelty, but probably lose your home, guns, job and the right to vote. Should the results come back as a level of homo sapien classification, the charges will only escalate and the pain level even more intense, for you and yours. After the criminal case is concluded, the raft of civil actions will commence, effectively wiping out any remaining assets you have worked years to accrue.  If the kill occurs on federal lands, amp up the ante exponentially.

Then, a few years later while you're standing on top of the bridge railing, looking into the murky water below, a sparrow alights beside you and without a sound you hear the words, I told you so....

Not even close

Every year here in Canada, Alaska and Siberia we have hunters killing grizzlies and polar bears, some using nothing but bows or black powder rifles

If a sasquatch exits, it will be no larger, stronger or harder to kill than any of the great bears.

I would be totally confident in using either my 338 winmag or 450 marlin on the type of creature you described

On this site there is a lot of stories about what is known and what is not known about sasquatch, yet at the same time there is no proof.

I will continue packing my rifle, but if someone in a museum somewhere digs up some misidentified bones sitting in a box, great.

An animal standing 8' tall weighing 700 lbs that also eats meat would be considered an apex predator. Dangerous game.

I believe it COULD be done. (a body taken) It would take a team trained in dangerous situations. Big game hunters in Africa, who routinely go in the brush after man killers, with big bore rifles, bigger than whats used on this continent, and with trackers with back up rifles could get this done perhaps, AND get a body out.

Or perhaps a military team. Someone that had worked together in very dangerous situations and could keep a cool head in a high pressure situation with some high caliber fire power. Joe Blow might pull this off alone, but I think the chance of that happening and recovering the body would be less than 1%.

It would take several talented individuals to find a target, take it out and remove the body.

Just my opinion and silly ramblings.

Sure maybe taking down one squatch could be done, but what if it wasnt alone and suddenly three more come rushing at u at one time? Youd end up being their voucher specimen..

Bigfoot army......

So what keeps them from launching coordinated attacks against Krispykremes nation wide? Or a zagnut bar factory?

Do you see where this line of reasoning is going?

That's a ^^^plus, because, just the laughs.

Here's what the evidence says, people:  apes.  Shoot one, mystery solved...well, what most don't seem to understand is that "Finding Bigfoot" only *starts* with the voucher specimen.

I've never considered "just" to apply to apes.  We rate ourselves far higher than evolution does.

Sure they could be some branch of the primate family tree other than us or the known great apes.  (I'd throw down some lunch money on extending the robust australopithecine line into the present.)  But human, I'm kinda doubtin'.  All awaits taxonomy.  That said:  when one kills a gorilla or a chimp one isn't promptly attacked by the rest.  I am kinda not thinking it will be the case here either.

Edited by DWA

Youre assuming they are just apes

Based on our evidence at hand and our knowledge of known primates I'm stating they are a lot closer to apes than we are, yes.

Morphology:

1) mid tarsal break

2) longer upper limb proportions

3) conical shaped head

4) stooped bent knee gait

5) no neck and body swing to turn head

Behaviors:

1) no fire

2) no tool manufacture

3) no permanent structures

There are other ways to be attacked other than physically.

Yuchi already threatened me with a sparrow, maybe you can do better?

1.700 meters? As in "just a hair over a mile"? Suuuuuure....that's a % shot!

A couple of months ago, I played with a rifle, purchased by a friend of mine, that was manufactured by Remington and then customized by a company in Austin, TX. What's amazing about this rifle is that it has a computerized telescopic sight, that allows an average shooter to make long range shots, past a mile or longer, depending on the caliber. Currently this rifle is being offered in 308 and 338 Lapua. These rifles are made by  Tracking Point, in Austin,  and are available commercially. They enable even inexperienced shooters to make a 1600 yard shot with ease. The computerized compensation even allows the shot to be made on moving targets.

That being said, killing at 1600+ yards in one thing, identifying something at 1600 yards is another thing.

I've hunted deer for most of my life and have been fortunate to have taken a number of trophy bucks. All of which were shot at distances less than 200 yards. I have great motion proof binoculars and past 250 yards it becomes very difficult to judge the quality of an animal. I can't imagine that it would be very easy to positively identify a Sasquatch at a 1000+ yards without taking the chance it could be a man or some other animal. I would not be comfortable pulling the trigger in any long distance scenario of trying to kill a Sasquatch.

I've read a number of comments made by people in this forum, as well as others, regarding Sasquatch attacking anybody that has shot or harmed one of their group members. I can't speak as to the validity of this claim as I've never seen a Sasquatch, much less tried to kill one. Given the fact we know nothing about their behavior, it should be a consideration. However, I don't think it would require Seal Team 6 to hold them off, in the event of an attack. I'm assuming they are flesh and blood creatures with a healthy sense of self preservation and not likely to attack a group of armed individuals.

I think gathering a specimen can be accomplished with a little preparation and a small, well organized team.

In fact, as great as it would be to have the entire body, it's not necessary, in order to provide proof. If it were me, and I was by myself, I would remove a hand, foot or maybe an entire arm, as well as hair, blood and anything else I could quickly gather and transport, in addition to photographs and video.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I could bring myself to kill one of these animals. I suppose it would depend on the circumstances and whether or not I had people with me that could provide assistance.

Yuchi already threatened me with a sparrow, maybe you can do better?

:lol: No, I don't think I can. That was perfect.

• Upvote 2