Albert Ostman

Old Dog

Guest OntarioSquatch

Some of the things he described about Bigfoot wasn't widely known until just recently, so I think he might have been telling the truth about what happened. It's also possible that he got the info from Native Americans and made up the story based on that. Either way, I don't think he could have made it up on his own at that time.

I think it's true to a degree, with some embellishment and over dramatising in there at times and just can't believe a Guy like Ostman could make up a story like that in 1924 out of thin air, with some of the details he gave.

I'd say that possible. He lost me when he claimed to have been carried off in the night, but had everything in his bedroll. I don't see someone keeping food supplies in their bed in bear country.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I believe this to be one of the most interesting accounts ever. As others have pointed out, Ostman's claims regarding sasquatch included things that were not known or well-known at the time, and these characteristics have also stood the test of time. But even more interesting than that is the fact that some portions of his descriptions actually disagreed with the common perception of bigfoot in his day. So not only did he come out with a story that was too outlandish for most people to believe, he was even alienating some of those people at the time who knew about or believed in bigfoot, because his descriptions were different than the common beliefs.

I never thought that the story was too crazy to be impossible. Even knowing what we know today regarding bigfoot, something similar is not impossible. It must also be remembered that since this supposedly occurred many decades ago, in a region that was very remote, the sasquatch there may have had a different perception of humans than they do today. This would simply be because they had not encountered them very often. One thing I have wondered about, IF his claim is true that the bigfoot captured him for the young female, is whether this implies the bigfoot population was very thin. I mean there must have not been any other options for mating if the older male bigfoot had to go steal a human for the young female bigfoot. If this story actually occurred I think that it shows just how intelligent sasquatch are. Not just because they kidnapped a person, which didn't take much intelligence, but mainly in how they lived. They lived like more intelligent animals would, at least in my opinion. They essentially had a "home," with beds and whatnot. No other primates exhibit the characteristics of the bigfoot in this story, except for humans. I lean towards authenticity, but I'm not 100%. Definitely possible. I think the fact that he included so many details is telling as well. If someone were going to make up a story like that then obviously they would have to include many details, considering that they spent a lot of time with the bigfoot. Most sightings are short and do not give one time to actually study them. Had Ostman not included minute details then his account would have been suspect in my opinion. So he gave a detailed description, which has stood the test of time.

I can tell you what I did back in the early to mid 1980s. I had an idea. Albert s story claimed he came out of the wilderness at a logging operation near the Salmon Arm branch Sechelt Inlet. I wondered if that logging operation might have kept a journal and would I find an entry about finding a lost prospector? In the office of MC Million Boadel and a few others I did look at records from that area and dated the year 1924. How ever I found no mention of a lost prospector being found and taken care of, and put back on a boat to Vancouver. But I must point out that there were over 30 logging operations going on around Sechelt, Jarvis and Toba inlets in 1924 and i was only able to find records of 3 of them?  Also according to Albert. An old Indian gent took him to the head of Toba Inlet in 1924, and this man was suppose to return for him in 3 weeks. What Did this man do after 3 weeks assuming that he did go to pick up Albert and could not find him? Did he report it? To make it short I found nothing record wise with the RCMP concerning any missing man from Toba Inlet from 1924? Also again according to Albert s story this same old Indian gent is said to have mentioned the name Sasquatch as they talked with each other. I find this odd since the name Sasquatch was not coined until 1929 in a magazine articular, Titled, "Introducing B.C.s hairy Giants" by J.W. Burns. And Albert s classic tale is from 1924, 5 years before the name was first published. Of course Albert  did not tell his tale until 1957 and by then Sasquatch was a house hold word in Canada.  The Albert Ostman tale is one of the Sasquatch Classic stories and unfortunately destined to remain only that.

Thomas Steenburg

You would keep canned goods in the bed to keep them from freezing. Thats another $20.00 R/A, am I a baby-sitter for knowledge now?

Wasn't it just some canned goods?

I went back and read the transcript of Ostman's interview to refresh my memory and he never said his food was in his sleeping bag. It was in his "pack sack", so apparently the Squatch grabbed it too. He did have some crackers and butter, flour, a few things like that. Don't know how well they were sealed but probably not well enough to prevent an animal from smelling them, especially since as he claimed he thought the porcupines had been after it. It doesn't say how close this knapsack was to his bed though.

Either way, I still don't buy it.

Albert  did not tell his tale until 1957 and by then Sasquatch was a house hold word in Canada. 

Thomas Steenburg

Another reason I don't buy the story.

Not surprisingly Thomas Steenburg did a lengthy investigation on this including contacting the RCMP about missing persons reports and log journal entries from logging camps in the area

Not surprisingly I dismiss Ostman's account as a campfire story.

It's a great campfire story and deserves its place in Bigfootery

Folklore. Nothing more.

Guest FootDude

This is a very interesting story and one that got me interested in Bigfoot when I was in grade school.

To me it is one of the more well known tales in Bigfoot lore. Was he being truthful? I don't know and in the end to me it does not make a difference in my thinking that Bigfoot does indeed exist.

That was weird

When I first read this thread it only showed 1 page and I didn't see Thomas' post or the one after it

Another reason I don't buy the story.

Why would that be a reason? Some people would be too concerned about ridicule. Then when learning that other people have had encounters it coaxes the bravery out of them. It happens in life. According to John Green Albert Ostman first wrote his story down in a letter to William Roe in 1957, who himself allegedly had a sasquatch encounter.

Of course the opposite is true as well. It can also become 'fashionable' and then stories are made up. For what it's worth Ostman did sign an Affidavit.

Edited by Neanderfoot

I can tell you what I did back in the early to mid 1980s. I had an idea. Albert s story claimed he came out of the wilderness at a logging operation near the Salmon Arm branch Sechelt Inlet. I wondered if that logging operation might have kept a journal and would I find an entry about finding a lost prospector? In the office of MC Million Boadel and a few others I did look at records from that area and dated the year 1924. How ever I found no mention of a lost prospector being found and taken care of, and put back on a boat to Vancouver. But I must point out that there were over 30 logging operations going on around Sechelt, Jarvis and Toba inlets in 1924 and i was only able to find records of 3 of them?  Also according to Albert. An old Indian gent took him to the head of Toba Inlet in 1924, and this man was suppose to return for him in 3 weeks. What Did this man do after 3 weeks assuming that he did go to pick up Albert and could not find him? Did he report it? To make it short I found nothing record wise with the RCMP concerning any missing man from Toba Inlet from 1924? Also again according to Albert s story this same old Indian gent is said to have mentioned the name Sasquatch as they talked with each other. I find this odd since the name Sasquatch was not coined until 1929 in a magazine articular, Titled, "Introducing B.C.s hairy Giants" by J.W. Burns. And Albert s classic tale is from 1924, 5 years before the name was first published. Of course Albert  did not tell his tale until 1957 and by then Sasquatch was a house hold word in Canada.  The Albert Ostman tale is one of the Sasquatch Classic stories and unfortunately destined to remain only that.

Thomas Steenburg

Hello Thomas, does RCMP regularly provide information relating missing people and Sasquatches to civilians? Will they provide any information regarding Sasquatch to people who ask for documentation?

Hello Thomas, does RCMP regularly provide information relating missing people and Sasquatches to civilians? Will they provide any information regarding Sasquatch to people who ask for documentation?

No. At lest not normal circumstances. In this case it was simply a clerk who not only told me that any such records dating that far back are ether disposed of, or in some dust covered file box somewhere. He wasn't even sure which detachment would have been informed of such a report in 1924?  In other times I found the police to be quite helpful when they have been involved in Sasquatch reports. at other times they just give you that look, and smile to them selves.  It really depends on who you are dealing with and at times their personal attitude towards the whole question. At one time when I was in Western Alberta I had a pretty good relation with the RCMP in and around Canmore and Banff, as well as the Stoney tribal police, and when anyone contacted them to report something they gave the witness my contact information. But as for any normal and on going cooperation from any police force as far as the Sasquatch question goes, its a roll of the dice.

Thomas Steenburg