Albert Ostman

Old Dog

I believe Green was honest in his report ... Heard from a friend who was told by a man.... It's third party info if indeed that's AO that the info came from them if lends some credit to the story thanks for the info

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at Google Earth for the area featured in the Ostman story just now. It is about 65 miles from the head of Toba Inlet to the head of Salmon Inlet (assuming this is the Salmon Arm mentioned in the tale), as the crow flies. However, overland you have to bypass the head of Jervis Inlet and there are a number of mountains and ridges in the way. The country is typical Coast Mountain Range terrain - glaciers, ridges, heavy forest, possibly dense Salal undergrowth, almost no roads (some logging roads) even now. It would have been a heck of a trrek I think, even if part of it was by Sas.

I do not know if it is possible to find some elevation above Salmon Inlet which allows a view of Mount Baker. It looks possible, almost certain, if you are close enough to the mouth of the inlet. The distance should not be an issue; it is 100 miles from the head of Salmon Inlet to Mount Baker.  The issue would be to find a high spot with a clear line of sight to Baker from above Salmon Inlet. Such may well exist, but only someone familar with the area could tell us. The mountains above Vancouver BC could be in the way, but I have not looked at the various elevations, nor do we know where he was when he allegedly saw Mount Baker.

Distance is not an issue. I can see Mount Baker just fine from in back of my place, at a distance of about 75 miles. I can see Mount Ranier at 134 miles, atmospheric visibility permitting.

As an aside, I was in Campbell River a couple of days ago, about 25 miles from the mouth of Toba Inlet, as the crow flies. It would take a boat or a floatplane to get there. No way to drive there from anywhere.

The fact that he waited 25 years to tell the story bothers me. If he tells the same story in the late twenties early thirties with the details he provides it becomes much more credible. However he never changed or waivered from his tale. It will always be a classic that can neither be proved or disproved . I put much more stock into the validity of ape canyon and Roe's stories.

For various reasons people do wait long periods of time to report/tell of incidents. Fear of ridicule, etc could be a reason.