What About The Bones? Research Paper Now Available.

BigTreeWalker

When I get the time I intend to go back to the bone guy and do some more research. Seems like it may be the end of September before I can really get back to it again. I know a lot of what it isn't. But I guess that's progress.

(snip).. I didn't see the deer skulls, but one elk skull had the nasal area broken. Hard to tell when it happened. The other one was still intact, but the spine was in two pieces.

Mr Townsend places more importance on this trauma than I do. Unless it is used to suffocate, what we see is not a mortal wound. It may have happened after the kill by other scavengers. I didn't collect the skull but now that I look at the photo of it I should have taken a closer look.

Last winter, wolves killed a moose near our cabin. We could hear them working him over for most of the night and they finally got him sometime early in the morning. We went to check it out and the wolves ate his kidneys, liver, heart and nose/cheeks. As a connoisseur of moose, I can tell you the nose (Deer, Elk, or Moose)is a rich fatty bit of meat, and most likely a delicacy for the carnivores in your area.

Nakani,

Yes the bone expert told me the same thing. The nasal area is easily damaged and is the first area consumed by predators or scavengers. However, if those same wolves feed on more of the animal you would find distinctive broken, gnawed or partially eaten bones. Wolves and other canids are bone eaters along with wolverines.

• 1 month later...

Hello Norseman,

Looks like bear. A humerus perhaps?

It's probably not very funny to whoever lost it. Edited by Bonehead74
  • Upvote 1

Hello Bonehead74,

Yeah, ouch huh? A broken leg in the wild spells doom for just about any animal. It's more than likely why even when battling for mates the bouts are over before serious injuries are sustained. All animals seem to get that the slightest wound can spell death or turn an otherwise healthy animal into prey. An uninjured loser can live to fight another day. A gored or severely bitten winner can be kind of a bittersweet, short-lived victory.

Hello Incorrigible1,

Now that IS a "humerus" thought. You know it's funny when I first posted the bone name the play on humorous crossed my mind. But Inc1? Your reply was pretty subtle and I missed it. I gotta stop taking things so serious LOL.

Edited by hiflier

Hi Norse, Sorry, just saw your post. Just got back from a trip down to Seaside. A little stormy there today. Yes I would be interested if you did keep it. For comparison sake if nothing else. And aren't we humorous, or is that humerus, today? However, it does look like a femur.

Norseman, also sorry to hear those elk didn't cooperate this year. I know the feeling. Even when you know they are in the area they can sure hide good! Didn't call in anything besides elk with your hoochie momma did you? ;)

I have been in contact with various people who have found chewed bones on their forays into the wild. Les Stroud was one of them. But he lost the bone he found, however he did forward my request to Kelly Shaw of RMSO who said he would keep his eyes open.