Eerie Story Of Missing Man

MagniAesir

It didn't have to be near a human to attack the dog though, especially if the dog saw it and chased it, or the dog was roaming away from the owner. I know my own dogs will do that, they sort of make a big circle while walking trail. It's always been a concern of mine they they will encounter coyotes, never happened in all my years though.

I was kind of hoping the guy heard the dogs engaged with somethng, went into the woods to check it out and just got lost, hopefully to turn up later. That's still possible I suppose, but unlikely. 

As to the second person, the jogger...if it were a lion, it would be well within the realm of possibility, and by far not the first runner to apparently trigger the pursuit response of a cat. Most often, runner bends down to tie a shoe or adjust a sock, and wham!  

The guy made the subject of the OP? The Vet's opinion it was a wolf attack fits the scenario...all but the disappearance of the man.  Healthy wolf-on- human predation, as most everyone knows, is vanishingly rare in recorded history.

BFF Patron

Wolf on human predation is rare but what worries me is wolves expanding into new territories may encounter wild dogs who do not have the same fear of man and form packs.     In time that would likely evolve into wolf behavior as the wolf alpha male would control the pack,   but in the mean time the pack may not be as wary of man.    I had a wild dog pack after me once when I was in the bush.   Fortunately I was nearly back to my truck.  

Scary situation. I've only had to confront  feral dogs once, and that was enough. I came around a bend in the trail and surprised the pack, which was intent on something else. They locked eyes with me, and for about a second I could see the fight/flight/attack wheels spinning in their minds.  In that second I decided to run straight at them, waving my arms and screaming like a banshee.  They scattered. I was left wishing I had packed spare skivvies.

Edited by WSA

Using the Rainbow Trout Ranch mentioned in the news article posted by OKBFFan as the base, the furthest of the reports mentioned by Looking for Evidence is less than 18 miles away, and there are at least 5 other reports, 3 Class A and 2 Class B in the vicinity, one of the latter within 1.5 miles as the crow flies from the guest ranch. They are, listed by distance nearest to farthest:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=407

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=24068

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1351

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1352

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=5586

Another major factor to consider is altitude. The missing young man, Joe Keller, is from Cleveland, TN, altitude from about 850 to 1,000 feet. The altitude of the Rainbow Trout Ranch is over 8,800 feet. I grew up in Helena, MT, average altitude about 4,000 feet and hiked and camped in mountains over 6,000 feet, yet when camping and hiking around Tenaya Lake in Yosemite while in the Navy, it was very easy to get winded (I even passed out once while playing Frisbee) though I was 20-22 years old and in excellent condition. It's not difficult to envision Mr. Keller suddenly passing out in the unaccustomed thin air, making him easy prey for any predator in the vicinity. Other possibilities include seeing a cougar or bear, trying to sprint away with the same result, or, seeing a Sasquatch, hyper-ventilating and passing out making an easy target even if there was no initial predatory intention. The plateau immediately north of the ranch averages a bit over 10,000 feet with rim rocks on the periphery where it would be easy to fall and be wedged in a crevice. There is also a fairly substantial creek or small river, 50 to 100 feet wide, running through the valley the ranch is located in and adjacent to the access road in places where someone feeling light headed might stop to splash water on their face and fall in. There is a small bridge across the stream, adjacent to the ranch, with several ATV type trails leading across open, fairly level ground towards the forested hills and the plateau to the south.

Edited by Airdale

Lots of variables there. The article doesn't mention the use of bloodhounds or their tracking dogs. Possible that they will never find him. Can you imagine? The thought of that would be just horrendous for his family, yet countless families seem to go through this often.

There is a family in Oklahoma City that went to Lima Peru for a family trip just after their valedictorian son graduated. IIRC, they were hiking near the hotel they were staying at, and the son walked around the bend in front of them and completely disappeared. No TRACE of him has been found. No demand for ransom if he was kidnapped.. Nothing. It's been over a year now..

http://latinamericacurrentevents.com/possible-sightings-of-missing-u-s-teen-in-ecuador/31018/

Ok so I was close. Ecuador, and it's been TWO years

BFF Patron

A woman picking berries disappeared day before yesterday in SW WA.      That runs about one a season here.     So far always women.    Put a small human,  woman in this case, in a berry patch with bears and BF and perhaps the temptation gets too great. 

Been watching Missing in Alaska on the History Channel.         Last night they had a episode about Hairy Man.      Very similar to this situation in that someone came along and found a car running at night, with the lights on,   blood smears on the door, and no sign of the missing man.    He has never been found.     That particular area has a long history of Hairy Man sightings.    A mining town nearby was abandoned when the ore ran out and they had problems with people disappearing.   

SSR Team

Where was this SW ?

In the mainstream media yet ?

BFF Patron

Near Trout Lake, went missing Thurs afternoon. Woman 87 apparently had some dementia issues too. I always provoke my children by saying if I get like that, to take me out in the woods and let things happen, like the NA did when someone could not keep up with the tribe.

SSR Team

My wife and I were up in that area picking huckleberries yesterday. Wish I would have known about this before we went out. We would have gone up around those berry fields. More eyes could help in the search.

Not many people out yet. Berries were sparse took us awhile to get one quart. We did wander around looking for the bushes with berries. I see how easy it is to separate, we always do "Marco Polo" when we lose sight of anyone in our group so we know where everyone is.

I was at Goose Lake earlier this summer and there were two people missing according to a couple fliers posted on an information board at the campground. A man and a women, separate incidents. I'm not sure of circumstances never did hear anything on the news or since about those two. 

My cousins daughters boyfriend has never been found he disappeared spelunking in the big lava bed near Goose Lake several years ago.

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/heading-for-the-wilderness-heed-these-cautionary-tales/

Edited by daveedoe

BFF Patron

I remember that disappearance. Perhaps a good way to disappear is to blunder into a lava tube home for BF? If they have permanent dwelling locations, I do not think they would let someone leave that found them. I think winter survival requires some sort of at least seasonal shelters and lava tubes would have moderate temperatures year round.