Skeptics: What Have You Read?

TD-40

I'd like to know how well indoctrinated the skeptics are in bigfoot literature. I just finished reading Paulides' book Tribal Bigfoot. It is chock full of eyewitness accounts all along California and Oregon going back as far as he could research. There is a consistency among the stories and the people hold fast to their experiences and never profited from them. The sketches from Harvey Platt really illuminate what the people can remember. It's amazing how much detail they recall after many years since their encounter. Only a traumatic event would force someone to never forget these details.

I don't know how someone could finish reading a book like this and come away still doubting whether or not they exist.

So I want to ask speptics how much they really know? What books have they read? How learned are they? Have you read Meldium's book? Any of Paulides' first two books? Loren Coleman's book? I have read these and I honestly don't see how anyone can come away believing they are not real.

Paulides has been proven to be unreliable.

There are threads....

Indoctrinated is as indoctrinated reads......

Peel the onion.

^^

I'll have a go at the definition.  Familiarize oneself with a topic. Then read more, by authors who help you understand the issue more deeply.  This may include identifying the agendas of the authors that you first read.  Then peel it back to a deeper level, and figure out the agendas of the second set of authors.

Just remember, ogres are like onions (according to Donkey from Shrek).  Not so sure about bigfoots, but ogres are like onions. 

Don't take anything for granted.

Look deeper than the surface.

Paulides tells compelling stories about missing people. Problem is when you fact check the stories they fall apart.

On the surface the story looks compelling.... when you fact check (peel the onion) they become easily explainable.

Don't know where that came from but my father always cautioned me to look deeper than the surface.

^yes what trog said too...

Edited by Martin

Guest OntarioSquatch

Paulides' Missing 411 books aren't about Bigfoot, but people here like to speculate that Bigfoot is responsible for some of the cases. Almost all of the cases featured in his books are cases where law enforcement couldn't figure out what happened, so the cases are actually really far from being easily explainable. He also has a couple books on Bigfoot, but I haven't read those. 

Paulides tells compelling stories about missing people. Problem is when you fact check the stories they fall apart.

I asked if the skeptics had read his first two books, which are not of the Missing 411 series.

Don't take anything for granted.

Look deeper than the surface.

On the surface the story looks compelling.... when you fact check (peel the onion) they become easily explainable.

Don't know where that came from but my father always cautioned me to look deeper than the surface.

^yes what trog said too...

oh I have........ but I have found them to be quite compelling.

Since your "peeling the onion" what other Sasquatch related books have you read? And which ones did you find compelling?

Why is there a desire in so many recent threads to label "us" v. "them?"  It's one forum, the books which people read and which were formative of their opinions should be of interest w/o labeling anyone.  War's long over; we're all just folk now. 

^^

One thing I found compelling was a report done by Jim Keegan (no longer available) from years ago.

He took all of the BFRO class a sightings, got rid of the obvious hoaxes, and charted them over a specific US geological survey map of the continental US.

Turned out that most of the type a sightings, whether NW or SE, came from regions with similar patterns of avaliable resources.

I can't remember the exact specifics and have since requested copies but he deleted the reports and even his entire site.

I also find the Bigfoot Times very good.

The best resource on available has always been Bobbie Shorts Bigfoot Encounters.

I have a reasonably long list of bigfoot books that have read that are full of opinion and light on facts.

Edited by Martin

^ yes. I have seen that before and I'll re-familiarize when I have a chance.

Keegan's was done in the 1990's before the boom of t.v. bigfoot flap.