Skeptics: What Have You Read?

TD-40

I don't remember accusing anyone of lying, and if you have paid attention to my posts, I consider myself a skeptic, not a denier, but a proper skeptic.   So I actually don't think skeptics necessarily lie anymore than proponents.  Don't take things so personal, it could just as easily be directed at a proponent.  By the way, I envy your BF library.  When you die can I have your books?

You should have just apologized instead of this... You know you were being a jerk and you got called out, plain and simple. Just admit it, apologize or don't and move on but don't try to backtrack....

Your post:::

"LOL, so I'm picturing a few people scouring Amazon for books on BF so they can make a list. "

Ha ha aren't you clever...nope.

Make of it what you will.  It deserved an explanation, not an apology.  Do you always read things into other's conversations that really aren't there?  

Guest OntarioSquatch

I haven't read any Bigfoot books all the way through. They just don't seem very informative. The single most informative thing I've read on the subject is the NAWAC Monograph and it's not even a book.

^Are these better for you Old Dog?

fc4izk.jpg

314rsjo.jpg

i1cjuo.jpg

This is about half of the books I have- others are scattered in various plastic tubs. I know it's fun to think that 'skeptics' lie but that's not the case.

This is the part of your collection I'm most jealous of...

The price on that had to be mainly due to the condition- it's one of the nicest copies I've seen.

I'm glad I bought most of my Bigfoot stuff a long time ago when nobody cared. Look at the poor condition of this super rare Roger Patterson book that sold for $200 a few weeks ago-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Bigfoot-volume-1-by-Roger-Patterson-/291327304494?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item43d475e32e&nma=true&si=x3nlH%252FcuISQiK2y5pdPtnko8Fzc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This is my copy-

10nbxbl.jpg

I see you have The Locals by Thom Powell there. If you haven't read it, I'd suggest skipping it. It's more fictional than the first chapter of Long's book.  

I see you have The Locals by Thom Powell there. If you haven't read it, I'd suggest skipping it. It's more fictional than the first chapter of Long's book. 

People seem to really like The Locals but I am not impressed with it either.  I am glad I did not buy it.  Free download at bookzz.org

Guest DTRobers

Roguefooter, your collection is, well, mouthwatering! I own or have read maybe half of those volumes pictured but see that I need to get busy on Amazon and Alibris to fill in the gaps. Personally, I cut my teeth on Sanderson's Abominable Snowmen: Legend Come To Life.

I agree that Long's The Making Of Bigfoot is unconvincing in it's thesis. I also agree with kitakazi and Wingman about The

Locals. I thought that it started out alright but devolved into the habituation morass that I find hard to wade through.

A lot of the books I have I used to buy in bulk lots on Ebay, that's where The Locals came from. I also have doubles of some books.

Ebay was a good cheap place to buy Bigfoot books several years ago but since Bigfoot gained popularity the prices have gone up on just about everything.

• 4 weeks later...

Read or actually skimmed through Joshua Blu Buhs book The Life and Times of the Legend: Bigfoot this weekend.  I was disappointed but probably more disappointed in myself for buying it, even thought it was cheap.  The preview I read had me believing it would be much better.

What I found really alarming was how much of a skeptic he was and how obvious his skepticism colored his research even before he started writing the book.  He admitted as much in the preface.  So if you are that much of a skeptic yet driven to spend so much dedicated time and research into a sizable book, what is the point?  Why not spend your time with your family or doing  something that makes you happy?  I don't get the impression this book made that much of an impact for the money.

Edited by Wingman

I scratch my head when I see "When Roger Met Patty" on these lists. I mean, great that you read it and all. Takeaways? None that I could tell from those discussions with many who have posted in this thread too. It is as if the cognitive dissonance created by Bill's analysis and discussion just was too thick to allow for any reasonable conclusions, so none were offered except the fall-back, go-to, "Well, couldn't be a BF, because they are not proven to exist." No rebuttal of the evidence he presented, but yet no weakening of that position. At all.

If  that is incorrect, correct me and I'll acknowledge I misread you.  If not, all the reading under heaven is not likely to make a dent in your construct, so I would just save your money if I were you and move on to reading fan fiction or something.  

See, this is my thing.  I am not concerned with what someone has read.  I am concerned with someone who *doesn't do anything with it.*

It's just like all the insults one sees from people who could be doing something with that wasted bandwidth...like providing evidence for their viewpoint.

(Bulletin:  "this is all just...." is not evidence.  It is an assumption.  One must *prove* that the evidence says other than what the proponents say...or one has *no* case.)

What I have not seen and it looks as if I can expect never to see is:  someone who can provide a cogent counter-argument to what they have read.  Anything else makes the reading superfluous, and done.

Read or actually skimmed through Joshua Blu Buhs book The Life and Times of the Legend: Bigfoot this weekend.  I was disappointed but probably more disappointed in myself for buying it, even thought it was cheap.  The preview I read had me believing it would be much better.

What I found really alarming was how much of a skeptic he was and how obvious his skepticism colored his research even before he started writing the book.  He admitted as much in the preface.  So if you are that much of a skeptic yet driven to spend so much dedicated time and research into a sizable book, what is the point?  Why not spend your time with your family or doing  something that makes you happy?  I don't get the impression this book made that much of an impact for the money.

I am not sure there is any more laborious, useless, counterproductive and indeed destructive enterprise than a book about bigfoot by a bigfoot skeptic.  One is literally writing about something one has constructed inside one's own head, not about objective reality.

To me the Greg Long book was just a Roger Patterson put down.

I opened it in the store; read through the preface; and put it back on the shelf.  Had there been a garbage can it would have gone in that.  Total waste of time, effort, and worst of all...trees.

I've read:

• Legend Meets Science 
  • Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes in America
  • , The Discovery of the the Sasquatch
  • , The Making of Bigfoot: The Inside Story
  • , Searching for Sasquatch:Crackpots, Eggheads and Cryptozoology
  • Abominable Science!

In fact, I signed my copy of The Discovery of the Sasquatch in honor of you, DWA. All one need to do is read that book and be exposed to every point you have ever made:

20150914_124727_zpsx4fq6jnl.jpg

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 4

But consider the source.  (I do.)  It is cool having a fan, though. :music:

This alone:  "All one need to do is read that book and be exposed to every point you have ever made:"

And note:  no attempt to provide a counterargument.  Which is, isn't it...precisely what we are talking about.  Major smh country, that.

One more time, guys:  it does not matter what you have read.  What you have done with it, that matters.

This is not the thread for counter arguments.  Please try to stay on topic.

The question, as stated in the OP, was what books have skeptics read. I answered the OP.   Your opinion on skeptical counter arguments is not "...precisely what we are talking about." 

Also, what you think matters, insofar as what a skeptic has read, is irrelevant and off topic to this thread as well.  Please feel free to carry on yet another of your anti-skeptic rants in the existence thread. 

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 1

One more time, guys:  it does not matter what you have read.  What you have done with it, that matters.

Too funny. For the past year his mantra has been 'You skeptics need to read.' Read the books and reports. Read, read, read.

"Read up if you want your faith in the scientific mainstream shaken badly"

Suddenly, it doesn't matter what we've read..

Edited by roguefooter
  • Upvote 3