Skeptics: What Have You Read?

TD-40

I'd like to know how well indoctrinated the skeptics are in bigfoot literature. I just finished reading Paulides' book Tribal Bigfoot. It is chock full of eyewitness accounts all along California and Oregon going back as far as he could research. There is a consistency among the stories and the people hold fast to their experiences and never profited from them. The sketches from Harvey Platt really illuminate what the people can remember. It's amazing how much detail they recall after many years since their encounter. Only a traumatic event would force someone to never forget these details.

I'm not a skeptic but your post is of interest so i will chime in.  I am not tempted by a book by Paulides because I find him and his message to be overexposed.  i don't feel he has anything new to add to my learning curve.  Like others have mentioned, it is just about impossible to isolate a case of actual abduction by a BF.  The Albert Ostman account still rings ridiculous to me and I haven't looked into it in years.

I am tempted by the Greg Long book, The Making of Bigfoot but I am not anti-Roger Patterson. I see no reason to tear the man down and that seems to be his purpose.  I would be more interested in an objective account of the man's life and events.  We all know he was a hard luck individual but that does not mean he was incapable of capturing authentic footage.

On my reading list right now:

In the Big Thicket : On the Trail of the Wild Man : Exploring Nature's Mysterious Dimension by Rob Riggs
Sasquatch - The Search for a New Man by Thom Cantrall
Legends, Lore and True Tales of the Chattahoochee by Michelle Smith 

^

Pass on the Greg Long book. Even most folks who think the PGF was faked don't buy the Heironimus nonsense anymore. It's only really Kitakaze here who still is arguing it was Heironimus. The Heironimus stuff has long been proven nonsense. 

Edited by Neanderfoot

I scratch my head when I see "When Roger Met Patty" on these lists. I mean, great that you read it and all. Takeaways? None that I could tell from those discussions with many who have posted in this thread too. It is as if the cognitive dissonance created by Bill's analysis and discussion just was too thick to allow for any reasonable conclusions, so none were offered except the fall-back, go-to, "Well, couldn't be a BF, because they are not proven to exist." No rebuttal of the evidence he presented, but yet no weakening of that position. At all.

If  that is incorrect, correct me and I'll acknowledge I misread you.  If not, all the reading under heaven is not likely to make a dent in your construct, so I would just save your money if I were you and move on to reading fan fiction or something.  

I scratch my head when I see "When Roger Met Patty" on these lists. I mean, great that you read it and all. Takeaways? None that I could tell from those discussions with many who have posted in this thread too. It is as if the cognitive dissonance created by Bill's analysis and discussion just was too thick to allow for any reasonable conclusions, so none were offered except the fall-back, go-to, "Well, couldn't be a BF, because they are not proven to exist." No rebuttal of the evidence he presented, but yet no weakening of that position. At all.

If  that is incorrect, correct me and I'll acknowledge I misread you.  If not, all the reading under heaven is not likely to make a dent in your construct, so I would just save your money if I were you and move on to reading fan fiction or something.  

This was a nice constructive thread and then you came in trying to troll it. You do this a lot. You might want to re-examine your process.

• Upvote 3

So you'd prefer just to list a bunch of books and not have a substantive discussion of anything anyone might have gotten from any of them?  "Troll", you say?

Ummm,..'k. Have a time. Toodles.

^Are these better for you Old Dog?

fc4izk.jpg

314rsjo.jpg

i1cjuo.jpg

This is about half of the books I have- others are scattered in various plastic tubs. I know it's fun to think that 'skeptics' lie but that's not the case.

I don't remember accusing anyone of lying, and if you have paid attention to my posts, I consider myself a skeptic, not a denier, but a proper skeptic.   So I actually don't think skeptics necessarily lie anymore than proponents.  Don't take things so personal, it could just as easily be directed at a proponent.  By the way, I envy your BF library.  When you die can I have your books?

That's cool, it just sounded like you were saying people were just making things up by looking at books on Amazon. I know a lot of people have quoted from various books so I'm pretty sure they own them. I have books I didn't even know I had.

That's cool, it just sounded like you were saying people were just making things up by looking at books on Amazon.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that was the case. There is a lot of BS that goes on here on both sides. Just coz people say it, doesn't mean it's true. Nice collection by the way. Mine is similar.

That's cool, it just sounded like you were saying people were just making things up by looking at books on Amazon. I know a lot of people have quoted from various books so I'm pretty sure they own them. I have books I didn't even know I had.

So I can expect a package for me when you.....uh, ....pass?   HAHA !!!!  Really, it's a nice collection of books.  In all seriousness, how can a person expect to support either side of a discussion if they aren't informed on the subject.    My original comment was a jest, which sometimes fails to come across in just type on a page.

I don't remember accusing anyone of lying, and if you have paid attention to my posts, I consider myself a skeptic, not a denier, but a proper skeptic.   So I actually don't think skeptics necessarily lie anymore than proponents.  Don't take things so personal, it could just as easily be directed at a proponent.  By the way, I envy your BF library.  When you die can I have your books?

You should have just apologized instead of this... You got called out, plain and simple. Just admit it, apologize or don't and move on but don't try to backtrack....

Your post:::

"LOL, so I'm picturing a few people scouring Amazon for books on BF so they can make a list. "

Edited by chelefoot

My original comment was a jest, which sometimes fails to come across in just type on a page.

Don't worry about it. You wrote nothing untoward at all. Not in the slightest.