Bbc Article: Why Don't People See The Yeti Anymore?

Guest Stan Norton

And science HAS been looking at this kind of thing (ie basically, the science of subjectivity in relation to Yeti, Bigfoot, etc) but many here don't seem to be aware of it. Why not broader our understanding of what Bigfoot is or may be?

Oh, OK, no bias here.  I've read a couple of those papers; they presume sasquatch and yeti sightings to be false positives, a seriously un-scientific way to go about anything.  And you don't seem to be aware of the scientists who have actually studied the actual phenomenon...and concluded it represents real animals, a finding that no skeptic of any stripe has seriously begun to challenge.  I'd say some broadening has already been done.  And not by those who really badly need to do it.

Edited by DWA

There will be no final outcome. That is the ultimate comfort zone of the bigfoot claimant. No one can prove that bigfoot does not exist.  There will be no moment of reckoning for proponents. The bigfoot charade will continue ad naseum. It will, no doubt, fluctuate in popularity, but it is not likely to go away any time soon. Anyone can easily fabricate a report that ends up on the BFRO one day and in DWAs proof pile, the next.  It is not difficult to keep the bigfoot wheels spinning.  

That's just your opinion.

All good points, Cliff.  None who haven't been there can grasp it properly.  Cronin makes much the same point in his book:  The places these animals are most likely to be, hardly anyone of our species ever visits, including the locals.    http://www.amazon.com/ARUN-VALLEY-Edward-W-Cronin/dp/0395262992/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447102879&sr=8-1&keywords=arun+valley

Were I one of those living there, I would have long since given up trying to educate the ignorant.  It's beyond me how anyone would think that people are obliged to report a plain fact to people who simply either immediately ask for proof adequate to them, or laugh at them.  

And news articles repeat so much trash about this topic, over and over...that I'd look to them last as verification for this.

^^^...and back to the yeti.  Anyone who can get that book; read the relevant chapter; and tell me Cronin is wrong...I'll never meet.  That's a scientist, using science.

From your subjective perspective this is true, but not from mine, or that of the two people who were with me during my first Class A encounter.  If you and your brother and a friend were in the high desert tomorrow and ran into a bigfoot within arms reach of your friend and you were within a couple of its strides away from it, with clear daylight and nothing obstructing your view, and stood there for forty-five seconds facing it down, but were unprepared to collect evidence; you would know that the encounter took place, you would know that they exist, and you would be told by someone that your very real encounter was a figment of your imagination.

It's like telling me that the family cat, which I don't particularly like, but which loves me, doesn't exist.  It still makes me sneeze whether or not you accept that it isn't a figment of my imagination.

There's a difference.  The subjects I've encountered and observed have never demonstrated anything that could not be explained by common science.  A supernatural claim takes it to the next level.  

Paranormal experiences are very real - that's my point. The Bigfoot experience - real as it is/seems - may well be "paranormal" whether they be exiting a spaceship or just walking around. Your experiences occurred in the 1970s, right? That's some 40 years ago yet you joined the forum 4 years ago to discuss it? When was the first time you actually wrote your experiences down (like in a diary or just for your own personal reference)? How long after the event? I'd be interested to hear from your brother and friend as well - did they ever write what happened down? We are dealing with memories here - old ones at that. Human memories are malleable, not set in stone...

I totally understand the personal significance the experiences have for you but they are no less detailed and significant for those that have experienced moreunusual events. I acknowledge that I am no better than anyone else yet you you seem to imply that you are, is that right? That your subjective experiences/memories are infallible or somehow less prone to confabulation processes that affect the rest of us poor mortals (but not you). I'm not out to convince you of anything - after all, its your claim/experience. I'm trying to broaden how we approach the entire subject. Consider it or don't - its your subjective choice...

PS - you can post photographs of your cat which would settle the mystery of whether it exists or not...

Oh, OK, no bias here.  I've read a couple of those papers; they presume sasquatch and yeti sightings to be false positives, a seriously un-scientific way to go about anything.  

Specifically, which papers have you read, DWA?

PS - you can post photographs of your cat which would settle the mystery of whether it exists or not...

Here's a picture of my cat, do you believe it exists?

4988621_f520.jpg

• Upvote 1

4988621_f520.jpg

No Rockape since there are two. I can I tell when you are asking singular? Even though you might have two cats in the photo you ask for one? Just Kiddin ! But does make for a good argument though. :) 

Oh, OK, no bias here.  I've read a couple of those papers; they presume sasquatch and yeti sightings to be false positives, a seriously un-scientific way to go about anything.  

These two have been discussed here in the past, I believe. I'm sorry, but the links that had easier to access versions of the Sharps, et al seem to be unavailable now. There are plenty of sites that have the abstract, with the full content behind a paywall.

Cognition and Belief in Paranormal Phenomena: Gestalt/Feature-Intensive Processing Theory and Tendencies Toward ADHD, Depression, and Dissociation, Sharps, Matthew, Asten

(The Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied

Volume 140, Issue 6, 2006)

http://issuu.com/kristylabardee/docs/paranormal_gestalt_phenomena

Eyewitness to the Paranormal: The Experimental Psychology of the ‘Unexplained’, Sharps.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/eyewitness_to_the_paranormal_the_experimental_psychology_of_the_unexplained/

Edited by dmaker

From your subjective perspective this is true, but not from mine, or that of the two people who were with me during my first Class A encounter.  If you and your brother and a friend were in the high desert tomorrow and ran into a bigfoot within arms reach of your friend and you were within a couple of its strides away from it, with clear daylight and nothing obstructing your view, and stood there for forty-five seconds facing it down, but were unprepared to collect evidence; you would know that the encounter took place, you would know that they exist, and you would be told by someone that your very real encounter was a figment of your imagination.

It's like telling me that the family cat, which I don't particularly like, but which loves me, doesn't exist.  It still makes me sneeze whether or not you accept that it isn't a figment of my imagination.

There's a difference.  The subjects I've encountered and observed have never demonstrated anything that could not be explained by common science.  A supernatural claim takes it to the next level.  

Paranormal experiences are very real - that's my point. The Bigfoot experience - real as it is/seems - may well be "paranormal" whether they be exiting a spaceship or just walking around. Your experiences occurred in the 1970s, right? That's some 40 years ago yet you joined the forum 4 years ago to discuss it? When was the first time you actually wrote your experiences down (like in a diary or just for your own personal reference)? How long after the event? I'd be interested to hear from your brother and friend as well - did they ever write what happened down? We are dealing with memories here - old ones at that. Human memories are malleable, not set in stone...

I totally understand the personal significance the experiences have for you but they are no less detailed and significant for those that have experienced moreunusual events. I acknowledge that I am no better than anyone else yet you you seem to imply that you are, is that right? That your subjective experiences/memories are infallible or somehow less prone to confabulation processes that affect the rest of us poor mortals (but not you). I'm not out to convince you of anything - after all, its your claim/experience. I'm trying to broaden how we approach the entire subject. Consider it or don't - its your subjective choice...

I certainly discussed it with my fellow cadets and Army officers over the years.  It wasn't until I was assigned to the Chemistry Department at West Point that I began to look for forums on the net.  I participated in the IVBC back in the '90s and corresponded with both Moneymaker and Meldrum during that time.  When the BFRO began I filed three reports between January 21st and February 3rd of 2003.

I'll consider posting a photograph of the box I keep the cat in.

4988621_f520.jpg

The patterning of the right cat is too artistic, therefore it's obvious it has been photoshopped. The animal on the left, looks too big, like someones idea of maximum catness, therefore I think it's actually a dog that someone clipped in a catlike fashion.