Bbc Article: Why Don't People See The Yeti Anymore?

Guest Stan Norton

BFF Patron

Let me use the analysis tools I have learned here on the forum. The bulge around the middle of the cat on the left suggests a Patty like two part costume. There is a suggestion of a zipper too. Based on the more normal looking cat on the right the left cat looks too large and the tail to leg ratio looks all wrong. My learned analysis tools I got from the forum suggests that it is a dog in a cat suit. I bet that if footprints of that left cat could be found, you would see faint cowboy boot heel impressions because dogs normally wear cowboy boots when wearing cat costumes. At least that is what my dog has always done when it wears it's cat suit.

And science HAS been looking at this kind of thing (ie basically, the science of subjectivity in relation to Yeti, Bigfoot, etc) but many here don't seem to be aware of it. Why not broader our understanding of what Bigfoot is or may be?

Oh, OK, no bias here.  I've read a couple of those papers; they presume sasquatch and yeti sightings to be false positives, a seriously un-scientific way to go about anything.  And you don't seem to be aware of the scientists who have actually studied the actual phenomenon...and concluded it represents real animals, a finding that no skeptic of any stripe has seriously begun to challenge.  I'd say some broadening has already been done.  And not by those who really badly need to do it.

DWA, perhaps you could explain for those of us that do not have an SPS (Self Proclaimed Scientist) badge, how it is un-scientific to explore alternative explanations for the evidence? Should not all potential sources for the evidence be explored? Or is it more sciency to just start with bigfoot and discard everything else?

Edited by dmaker

Geez dmaker, does DWA have to do all your home work! Read read read! I'd doesn't matter if you read the same report 10000 times, after enough reading you'll be a believer too and understand why scientist are not scientist. You'll also earn your SPS badge.

Let me use the analysis tools I have learned here on the forum. The bulge around the middle of the cat on the left suggests a Patty like two part costume. There is a suggestion of a zipper too. Based on the more normal looking cat on the right the left cat looks too large and the tail to leg ratio looks all wrong. My learned analysis tools I got from the forum suggests that it is a dog in a cat suit. I bet that if footprints of that left cat could be found, you would see faint cowboy boot heel impressions because dogs normally wear cowboy boots when wearing cat costumes. At least that is what my dog has always done when it wears it's cat suit.

Very weak analysis, Randy. Without red crayon circles, how can anyone take this seriously? We all know that good bigfoot photo analysis always involves red crayon circles. And you didn't even use multicolored fonts.  So disappointing....

Edited by dmaker

PS - you can post photographs of your cat which would settle the mystery of whether it exists or not...

Here's a picture of my cat, do you believe it exists?

4988621_f520.jpg

Both those cats have been foreshortened and I await the scientifically peer-reviewed study that proves one of them is your cat.

Just kidding dude, nice cats

BFF Patron

I hate cats......

Why do you think my dog wears cat costumes?    To trick the cats so he can get close enough to catch them.  

Oh, OK, no bias here.  I've read a couple of those papers; they presume sasquatch and yeti sightings to be false positives, a seriously un-scientific way to go about anything.  

Specifically, which papers have you read, DWA?

Wait.  You don't want me to go back and find the links to garbage studies, do you?  Those links are up to *you* not *me*; if that's your thesis, *you* have to back it up, not me.  See, how this works is:  you put up the stuff that supports your thesis...and I shoot it down.  I can flat guarantee you, 100%:  you will not put up a study that supports the thesis that sasquatch and yeti eyewitnesses are seeing things.  No.  You will not.  As a matter of fact:  you will not find such a study that does not do precisely what I said they all do!  Your responsibility to prove me wrong.

My favorite bigfoot skeptic meme is getting the proponents to do the homework for your thesis.  Doesn't work.

BACK ON TOPIC!

Edited by DWA

PS - you can post photographs of your cat which would settle the mystery of whether it exists or not...

Here's a picture of my cat, do you believe it exists?

4988621_f520.jpg

Both those cats have been foreshortened and I await the scientifically peer-reviewed study that proves one of them is your cat.

Just kidding dude, nice cats

LOL, you were on the right track. This was a test of critical thinking. Those aren't my cats. It's a generic photo of cats I googled up. I do have a cat, but she's not in the photo.

These two have been discussed here in the past, I believe. I'm sorry, but the links that had easier to access versions of the Sharps, et al seem to be unavailable now. There are plenty of sites that have the abstract, with the full content behind a paywall.

Cognition and Belief in Paranormal Phenomena: Gestalt/Feature-Intensive Processing Theory and Tendencies Toward ADHD, Depression, and Dissociation, Sharps, Matthew, Asten

(The Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied

Volume 140, Issue 6, 2006)

http://issuu.com/kristylabardee/docs/paranormal_gestalt_phenomena

Eyewitness to the Paranormal: The Experimental Psychology of the ‘Unexplained’, Sharps.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/eyewitness_to_the_paranormal_the_experimental_psychology_of_the_unexplained/

These are good places to start - I'll see if I can find those threads so we don't need to go over old ground...

I certainly discussed it with my fellow cadets and Army officers over the years.  It wasn't until I was assigned to the Chemistry Department at West Point that I began to look for forums on the net.  I participated in the IVBC back in the '90s and corresponded with both Moneymaker and Meldrum during that time.  When the BFRO began I filed three reports between January 21st and February 3rd of 2003.

I'll consider posting a photograph of the box I keep the cat in.

Have these sources been confirmed? I'd be happier if you provided their documented accounts than a pic of your cat...

So your account was first documented in the 90s - some 20 years after the event, right? Is that original report still available?