Bbc Article: Why Don't People See The Yeti Anymore?

Guest Stan Norton

Wait.  You don't want me to go back and find the links to garbage studies, do you?  Those links are up to *you* not *me*; if that's your thesis, *you* have to back it up, not me.  See, how this works is:  you put up the stuff that supports your thesis...and I shoot it down.  I can flat guarantee you, 100%:  you will not put up a study that supports the thesis that sasquatch and yeti eyewitnesses are seeing things.  No.  You will not.  As a matter of fact:  you will not find such a study that does not do precisely what I said they all do!  Your responsibility to prove me wrong.

My favorite bigfoot skeptic meme is getting the proponents to do the homework for your thesis.  Doesn't work.

BACK ON TOPIC!

It is a simple question, DWA - Specifically, which papers have you read? Previously, you said that you only read a couple of them so how hard can it be? I'm not out to prove you wrong, DWA, because, although you talk a lot, you have yet to prove anything about Bigfoot...

Why yes, it is available.  Along with others.  There's even a thread with a couple on this forum.

So can you save me 48 hrs+ of internet search time and provide a link?

Thank you, I shall surely feast on your generosity...

This report on BFF is your Class A sighting? It was reported in 2003... Is the report from you made earlier (in the 90s) available? And where has it been documented that your fellow cadets and Army officers heard you speak of it?

Yes.  I said I participated on the IVBC in the '90s.  There was a guy on there with the initials EB, who was pretty annoying and wanted all sorts of personal information.  Had a habit of showing up on people's doorsteps and harassing them.  He would have loved to have had the names of my West Point roommates and fellow officers.  Didn't give those to him either.  But you're free to share personal information from your career with me if you want.

Wait.  You don't want me to go back and find the links to garbage studies, do you?  Those links are up to *you* not *me*; if that's your thesis, *you* have to back it up, not me.  See, how this works is:  you put up the stuff that supports your thesis...and I shoot it down.  I can flat guarantee you, 100%:  you will not put up a study that supports the thesis that sasquatch and yeti eyewitnesses are seeing things.  No.  You will not.  As a matter of fact:  you will not find such a study that does not do precisely what I said they all do!  Your responsibility to prove me wrong.

My favorite bigfoot skeptic meme is getting the proponents to do the homework for your thesis.  Doesn't work.

BACK ON TOPIC!

It is a simple question, DWA - Specifically, which papers have you read? Previously, you said that you only read a couple of them so how hard can it be? I'm not out to prove you wrong, DWA, because, although you talk a lot, you have yet to prove anything about Bigfoot...

Why this thought that I have to prove anything to you?  Why this thought that I have to give time of day to someone who isn't showing an exact propensity to think hard or well or effectively about scientific topics?  Why are you asking me, no, you are, to waste my time?  I mean...who even are you?  DUDE!  I'm right!  You're wrong!  I read them; they were garbage; why would I care even enough about them to care where to find them, particularly when asked by somebody who won't move off that little island he's on until a sasquatch lands on his head?  You are the one who introduced the plain falsehood...and you want ME to work that for you?  How typical is that?

Why yes, it is available.  Along with others.  There's even a thread with a couple on this forum.

So can you save me 48 hrs+ of internet search time and provide a link?  Why should he?  Why should we be helping people who seem so disinclined to help themselves and so completely incurious about this topic that they can't be bothered to think about it?  HUNH????  Why should he save your time when you are wasting his?  Speaking of waste...[ignore]

Edited by DWA

This is bizarre behavior

If you claim you read a journal article and someone asks you to post a link it should not be their homework to tack down and find the link. If you don't agree with a journal article post the article and explain why you think its unscientific.

If you claim you had a sighting and its in the bfro database or on the forums just link it. It shouldn't be the person interested in reading the reports job to try and track it down.

If you claim to have had a bigfoot sighting and made a report or read a published journal article that you claim is false you should provide access to this material. It should not be the job or homework or otherwise to somehow be psychic and have the ability to track this.

Go back and look about how it was "asked for".  Also look at the recent demands for personal information regarding my career.  The demands have hardly been wholly respectful.

Further, I have no obligation to meet the demands of anyone who is not sincerely interested in objective discussion.

Edited by JDL
  • Upvote 1

You were the one who brought up your supposed career in an attempt to add more gravitas to your argument. You continued to embellish your career in a rather lengthy explanation as to why you didn't have the time to answer questions. Why is it necessary to reveal to a Bigfoot forum what you are paying the CEO of your company?

No one asked or demanded any personal information about you or your career. There is some slight mocking but given what you claimed, true or not, it's not really unwarranted.

I'd recommend sticking to your argument and avoid trying to use your career to boost it.

• Upvote 1

Go back and look about how it was "asked for".  Also look at the recent demands for personal information regarding my career.  The demands have hardly been wholly respectful.

Further, I have no obligation to meet the demands of anyone who is not sincerely interested in objective discussion.

It seems to me that if one does not welcome gentle inquiries about their career, then one should not regularly borrow on those details to try to bolster ones claims.  Providing unproven credentials and experience to support an extraordinary claim is going to generate doubt and curiosity. Surely you can understand this?

"Further, I have no obligation to meet the demands of anyone who is not sincerely interested in objective discussion." 

Well, that's ironic isn't it? You suddenly demand objective discussion. Unless, of course, you are throwing your alleged career and credentials around to subjectively support your claims. Do you think your supposed time at West Point adds any objectivity to your childhood claims to a bigfoot encounter?  Hardly.

Edited by dmaker

Sums it up.  If you have shown me an inability to absorb anything about this that does not fit your preconceived conclusion - and cannot see that some of us proponents are a pure walking definition of "Skeptic" of which Socrates himself would heartily approve - well, you've drained all the interest and entertainment, other than the occasional ear-box, right out of the discussion.  No thanks.

Again, dmaker, you express an opinion only.  I abide by the rules of the forum, not those you attempt to construct. 

Too frequently skeptics behave as if they wield higher moral authority based only upon the apparent belief that they have some sort of mandate to debunk anything related to bigfoot.  Within this thread I have been taunted, had my veracity challenged, and harrassed by a group of people who do not respect the forum rules or other people on the forum.

Given my background and achievements, these are not behaviors with which I am more than casually familiar.  The last guy to pursue me with such a level of disrespect was Eric Beckjord, though he was a proponent.  The one before that was some guy at the Chicago airport in 1978.  He followed me around cursing at me simply because I was traveling home for Christmas in uniform.

Nightwalker came at me as if he believed it were his right to interrogate me, not engage in an objective dialogue.  And it gets wearisome to have some guy who's just tuned in want to go back and waste my time with reruns for his benefit.  You were the sixth or seventh skeptic to engage me.  He's just the next guy in line.  Not special, no matter what he believes.  In fact, for all I know, he's hanging out in his mom's basement in his underwear with nothing better to do than get his jollies by messing with people.  When he takes a break from gaming, of course.

I'm just not seeing The Precious Mandate Of The Ignant here.  I'm just not.  "My ignorance is equal to your knowledge" never struck me as a way to live or a thing to respect.  I treat anyone unwilling to consider the evidence despite its repeated skullular contact as pretty much beneath dialogue.

Unless someone has proof that JDL is not who or what he claims to be I'd say this attempt at character assassination is rather low class.

And here is some high class

"Not special, no matter what he believes. In fact, for all I know, he's hanging out in his mom's basement in his underwear with nothing better to do than get his jollies by messing with people. When he takes a break from gaming, of course." JDL

In context "Not special" referred to the fact that he's just another guy asking the same set of questions that others before him have asked when he wasn't paying attention.