Bfro Data

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I'm trying to share some date. So far this site won't let me upload a spreadsheet. If you know a format it can handle let me know. Would be best if in Excel so the formatting would be preserved and so have meaningful scientific associations. 

This data is cleaned up for software analysis, the date columns are not properly formatted for date so you would need to do this. If you do this for me send a copy or attach it to this thread. 

I masked to Pacific coastal US states as I narrowed the focus area to the historical area I think would best support Bigfoot according to Native oral histories, etc. I have got the date (month, year) isolated, geo location, and elevation. You can use in Excel or geo info systems in comma delimited format (QGIS)

Some notes on my data. If there was a multi year range I averaged to 1 year. If the data had no dates I scrubbed it. If there were any other problems, I scrubbed it. I also scrubbed data that over lays city or municipal polygons as I don't believe that is a real location and would only skew geospatial research. All rows have the original identifier so can be associated with the original master record from BFRO

Admin

Welcome to the BFF Cryptic Megafauna!

Good work, thanks for posting it. I'm pretty sure you need a minimum number of post before you can upload files (100?).

You may want to check out our community sightings classification project, we called it the SSR, We were doing what you are doing, but extended the idea quite a bit and can always use help. Maybe it's something that will interest you.

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/forum/126-documentation/

Edited by gigantor

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Hi Gigantor, I'll check it out, but is seems as though I don't have permission

I have a background in GIS data management if that is of any use.

One thought is getting reflectance raster that are classified for vegetation or habitat and run data like the spreadsheet against it and you could see what habitats and plants are being interacted with at what type of yearly cycles

PS: I think I should add thank hiflier and Bodhi as they put in some effort to get the data in date format where you can actually do a meaningful calc.

PS: I did not sanity check the updated spreadsheets so you might want to do one to make sure no association was lost

Admin

I think once you get to 100 posts, you'll be able to see that section.

One of the things our database produces is Google Earth layers from search results. Attached is an example...

post-338-0-40647100-1417742754.gif

• Upvote 1

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Here's mine  :jester:

https://a.tiles.mapbox.com/v4/lewis.n8p76kfp/page.html?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoibGV3aXMiLCJhIjoiWEl5Y19ZUSJ9.Xn3aeGK801w3iqC7z-N83Q#7/48.078/-118.98

I could spin up a map server if you want to host your own data. Needs a coder and would be research and development but not complex necessarily if your group is developing it's own site and can push out to a server. Has a postgresql backend with geo server and the code is free.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Admin

Thanks. The BFF hosts our database (MySQL) with a PhP front end I wrote.

We have volunteers read the sighting reports and extract data, classify it and input it via a standard form on a web page. It then spits out a summary they can post in the sightings thread. Our database is searchable and generates a bunch of useful stats, etc.

Redbone just posted a classified report, check out the summary. This project has been going on for four years now. It's a long story and I want to show you all about it because I think you can really help us. Specifically with the GIS stuff. It's just not my thing and don't know enough about it to make good use of it. Maybe a server like you say is something we can use, I can write the code to  spit out the data, etc. Thank you for the offer, we might take you up on it.

Unfortunately, I don't make the rules, and the rule is you need 100 posts to become a regular member which you need to be to read the documentation, see what we have and contribute.

We'd love to have you, so please, go get in an argument with somebody and get your posts up to 100! :biggrin:

Edited by gigantor

Hello gigantor,

...We'd love to have you, so please, go get in an argument with somebody and get your posts up to 100! :biggrin:

OH! PICK ME, PICK ME!

Megafauna, your are a twit.... ;)

There, done. Now lets get that post count up. All you have to do is say, "No I'm not" and I'll say, "Yes you are" (rinse and repeat) and when your count gets to a hundred we'll slap each other on the back for a job well done, shake hands with compliments all around, and walk away friends. Only fifteen "No I'm nots" and you could be in the SSR by tomorrow!

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I just picked a fight on darting Bigfoot as I was a bit grumpy today, so I'll see how it goes.  :growl:

Hello gigantor,

...We'd love to have you, so please, go get in an argument with somebody and get your posts up to 100! :biggrin:

OH! PICK ME, PICK ME!

Megafauna, your are a twit.... ;)

There, done. Now lets get that post count up. All you have to do is say, "No I'm not" and I'll say, "Yes you are" (rinse and repeat) and when your count gets to a hundred we'll slap each other on the back for a job well done, shake hands with compliments all around, and walk away friends.

See below, PS: If I'm a twit I must be on the right forum hosting ! 

PS PS I'm afraid to start a real fight with Big-footers due to the large amount of mental instability  :spiteful:

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

If you have iframe elements enabled in your editor it would be simple, I could just embed my hosted maps.

The app I was trying to develop is by Boundless and is a opensource project with a free interface that could sit on a hosted virtual private server. Cost might be $5-$15 a month.

Perhaps we could start a debate thread,

Name it something like how to get up to 100 posts through starting irrational arguments?

PS; That's not a Bigfoot, that's your mother  :onthequiet:

Hello Cryptic Megafauna,

OH NO! That must mean my real father is...is...Albert Ostman! NAAAHHH. Besides, my mother wore shoes.  

• Upvote 1