Bfro Data

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I could perhaps contribute some time if it seems like the data is worthwhile.

If you had an idea of how to proceed or if you had a sample I could take a look.

SSR Team

Do you have premium access to the forum CM ?

No doubt the frequency of sightings, as reported, has steadily risen. You could propose any number of theories for that, although I'm not sure how you test any of them.  So, here's my short list:

-The population of BF is increasing as the size of their habitat decreases, bringing them into more frequent contact. 

-More people are taking part in more outdoor activities, bringing them into more frequent contact.

-The rise of computer connectivity makes it much easier for witnesses to get in touch with those who compile these reports.

-The rise of computer connectivity allows witnesses to not feel as reluctant to file reports...a "strength in numbers" effect. 

-The rise of computer connectivity allows witnesses to research the details of their sighting, leading to confirmation and reporting.

-The rise of computer connectivity permits us, for the first time, to know how many sightings are reported and view them in one place and this doesn't necessarily mean there are more sighting, only better ways of compiling them.

-The rise of computer connectivity encourages a "me too" form of hoaxing.   

-Sasquatches are becoming increasingly habituated to human contact.

-Any combination of the above.

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

Finding BIgfoot is probably the biggest factor in the increase in reporting.    It provides those not into BF research with information about the report system and steers them towards how it is handled.    While many adults do not watch the show,  they let their children watch it so a lot of people are aware of it.  I have sort of felt out some neighbors by just asking if they watch Finding Bigfoot.    Most are aware of it but do not watch or just click through when it is on.      A simple computer search for Finding Bigfoot leads you to the reporting system.  

In my area there has been a push of houses out along rivers that were previously remote and prime BF habitat.     That has to increase road crossing encounters.   

I doubt that BF numbers are increasing, but with clear cutting becoming more routine,  habitat is decreasing and making contact more likely.    Washington State Forest logging is at a level I have never seen before.    I think the Puget Sound Tree huggers are not aware of that because they tend to hike elsewhere.   

I think in the PNW people are at least aware of the possibility of existence.    There are so many restaurants,  BF crossing signs,   wood chain saw sculptures,   etc that people either accept BF existence outright, or think it possible.     With that comes some knowledge or mythology of the gentle giant in the forest.   Harry and the Hendersons promoted that.    So rather than shoot, many hunters report choosing not to shoot during encounters.    With human population density in rural areas increasing,   use and availability of firearms decreases.       BF has to have noticed this, considers things safer,    and that has encouraged them to conduct forays into sparsely populated areas.       The Puget Sound area is a hotspot of sightings.    Lots of people and BF moving around and even reports of dumpster diving.   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Good points Randy...I hesitated to give so much credit to FBF, but I think we all know it does raise awareness. In my mind though, to credit them at too much seems to imply a hoaxing, or at least an increase in misperception quotient.  You are right though, it can lead to the sighting database and any witness is going to find that very affirming.

Your point about rural community populations thinning is well taken. There are no doubt fewer hunters as compared to decades ago, but I think the per-capita gun ownership has gone way up. Of course, you can only fire one gun at a time, so that probably doesn't make too much of a difference in total "person with gun with eyes on the landscape" factor.

SSR Team

No doubt the frequency of sightings, as reported, has steadily risen. You could propose any number of theories for that, although I'm not sure how you test any of them.  So, here's my short list:

-The population of BF is increasing as the size of their habitat decreases, bringing them into more frequent contact. 

-More people are taking part in more outdoor activities, bringing them into more frequent contact.

-The rise of computer connectivity makes it much easier for witnesses to get in touch with those who compile these reports.

-The rise of computer connectivity allows witnesses to not feel as reluctant to file reports...a "strength in numbers" effect. 

-The rise of computer connectivity allows witnesses to research the details of their sighting, leading to confirmation and reporting.

-The rise of computer connectivity permits us, for the first time, to know how many sightings are reported and view them in one place and this doesn't necessarily mean there are more sighting, only better ways of compiling them.

-The rise of computer connectivity encourages a "me too" form of hoaxing.   

-Sasquatches are becoming increasingly habituated to human contact.

-Any combination of the above.

It would/could all be very valid WSA if in fact the frequency of reports had steadily risen, but they haven't really, they've decreased if anything in recent years..;)

BobbyO -

Is that based on the date of the event or the date the event was submitted?   I'm curious of those are going in the same direction in sync, same direction but out of sync, or opposite directions.   Might tell us something about the human element as well as the sasquatch element.

MIB

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Do you have premium access to the forum CM ?

Not at the moment. Not in a position to afford it at the moment.

This graphic show the stats going vertical.

The correlation is at the tipping point you have the on ramp to the modern internet (AD 2000 + or _). 

I won't speak to the "science" of the spreadsheet, just what gnumeric could pop out without too much tweaking,

post-25212-0-58635700-1455164228_thumb.j
Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

SSR Team

BobbyO -

Is that based on the date of the event or the date the event was submitted?   I'm curious of those are going in the same direction in sync, same direction but out of sync, or opposite directions.   Might tell us something about the human element as well as the sasquatch element.

MIB

Date of the event, I'll try to rustle up something today.

SSR Team

Ok i should have been more specific with my earlier comment about reports decreasing, i knew there was a decrease in data somewhere and it looks like the decrease was in visual sighting as opposed to overall reports, even though there is a significant decrease in overall reports in 2013 - 2016 from 2010 - 2012.

This holds both continent wide across the US and Canada and also in WA State, the State with the most activity.

Data from BFRO, Oregon Bigfoot, Bigfoot Encounters, John Green Database, PA Bigfoot Society and various other public databases.

Total Reports Continent Wide including alleged vocalizations, wood knocks, track finds and actual visual sightings for 10 year periods.

1965 - 1974 : 189 Reports

1975 - 1985 : 498 Reports > Increase

1985 - 1994 : 396 Reports > Decrease

1995 - 2004 - 916 Reports > Increase

2005 - 2015 : 1224 Reports > Increase ( Includes extra year of 2015 )

Class A Reports Continent Wide for 10 year periods.

1965 - 1974 : 164 Reports

1975 - 1985 : 320 Reports > Increase

1985 - 1994 : 243 Reports > Decrease

1995 - 2004 - 484 Reports > Increase

2005 - 2015 : 458 Reports > Decrease ( Includes extra year of 2015 )

Total Reports WA State including alleged vocalizations, wood knocks, track finds and actual visual sightings for 10 year periods.

1965 - 1974 : 36 Reports

1975 - 1985 : 89 Reports   > Increase

1985 - 1994 : 64 Reports   > Decrease

1995 - 2004 - 192 Reports > Increase

2005 - 2015 : 193 Reports > Increase ( Includes extra year of 2015 )

Class A Reports WA State for 10 year periods.

1965 - 1974 : 19 Reports

1975 - 1985 : 46 Reports > Increase

1985 - 1994 : 34 Reports > Decrease

1995 - 2004 - 77 Reports > Increase

2005 - 2015 : 50 Reports > Decrease ( Includes extra year of 2015 )

Last 20 Years Continent Wide Total Reports for 3 year periods.

1995 - 1997 : 191

1998 - 2000 : 297 > Increase

2001 - 2003 : 311 > Increase

2004 - 2006 : 360 > Increase

2007 - 2009 : 310 > Decrease

2010 - 2012 : 436 > Increase

2013 - 2016 : 236 > Decrease

Last 20 Years Continent Wide Class A for 3 year periods.

1995 - 1997 : 119

1998 - 2000 : 142 > Increase

2001 - 2003 : 164 > Increase

2004 - 2006 : 162 > Decrease

2007 - 2009 : 128 > Decrease

2010 - 2012 : 158 > Increase

2013 - 2016 : 69   > Decrease

WA State Total Reports for 3 year periods.

1995 - 1997 : 41

1998 - 2000 : 56 > Increase

2001 - 2003 : 70 > Increase

2004 - 2006 : 71 > Increase

2007 - 2009 : 52 > Decrease

2010 - 2012 : 51 > Decrease

2013 - 2016 : 44 > Decrease

WA State Class A for 3 year periods.

1995 - 1997 : 21

1998 - 2000 : 15 > Decrease

2001 - 2003 : 32 > Increase

2004 - 2006 : 20 > Decrease

2007 - 2009 : 16 > Decrease

2010 - 2012 : 18 > Increase

2013 - 2016 : 5   > Decrease

• Upvote 2

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

It would be good to have a near 100 % science based data base, perhaps a relational dbase management system in postgresql with geolocation in postgis format?

The only data allowed would be researched sites with foot prints or very accurate sightings, such as close range and unmistakable from unimpeachable witnesses and only data with an actual geo specific location.

This way you get a reality baseline.

Probably the data being so valuable you only want vetted researchers with a passcode to access and some layers only available to people according to trust level. No geo location for any questionable researcher.

This way you could profile habitat, migration, diet, elevation, time cycles, specific individuals and get 100% accurate out put for a highly limited subset of data for the best university level research.

I'm guessing there is something like that somewhere at any rate.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

I think in the PNW people are at least aware of the possibility of existence.    There are so many restaurants,  BF crossing signs,   wood chain saw sculptures,   etc that people either accept BF existence outright, or think it possible.     With that comes some knowledge or mythology of the gentle giant in the forest.   Harry and the Hendersons promoted that.    So rather than shoot, many hunters report choosing not to shoot during encounters.    With human population density in rural areas increasing,   use and availability of firearms decreases.       BF has to have noticed this, considers things safer,    and that has encouraged them to conduct forays into sparsely populated areas.       The Puget Sound area is a hotspot of sightings.    Lots of people and BF moving around and even reports of dumpster diving.   

Over the past few years, I have seen that TV shows in British Columbia in Canada give news reports on possible sasquatch sightings without the derision that one sometimes find elsewhere. John Bindernagel (http://www.bigfootbiologist.org/) has been the go-to-guy for some of the reports. There have been a number of credible reports, with credible people, and there is much less mockery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaIokpenWQU

Edited by MikeZimmer

BFF Patron

^^^^^That is good to hear.   I have talked to John Bindernagel about Canadians VS Americans and BF before.     What he said surprised me.    While we have BF conferences all over the place in the US several times a year they are pretty rare in Canada.    He said that Americans are much more receptive to the idea of existence than Canadians are.   He said that Canadians are for the most part more conservative than Americans about such topics.    He seemed to really be enjoying talking to people at the Sasquatch Summit.   I would have thought it the other way around in Canada because of the long history sightings in BC.    Anyway if you ever get a chance to talk to him he is very friendly and welcomes discussion.     I mentioned having encountered chest beating and he was very interested in that.   As we were talking, someone came up, overheard our discussion,  and said they had experienced that behavior too.  That got him even more interested.    This person was from Idaho and I mentioned someone in California reporting it also.     So that is three different regions reporting the same behavior.   We had a good laugh at the circumstances on how I triggered the behavior.    He picked up a notebook and made notes.     I had never heard of it before I experienced it.       This is the kind of stuff that academics may not be aware of unless they have contact with field researchers.   But some seem to have walled themselves off from lay field researchers.   One of my pet peeves.     

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT
  • Upvote 1

Ok i should have been more specific with my earlier comment about reports decreasing, i knew there was a decrease in data somewhere and it looks like the decrease was in visual sighting as opposed to overall reports, even though there is a significant decrease in overall reports in 2013 - 2016 from 2010 - 2012.

This holds both continent wide across the US and Canada and also in WA State, the State with the most activity.

Data from BFRO, Oregon Bigfoot, Bigfoot Encounters, John Green Database, PA Bigfoot Society and various other public databases.

Total Reports Continent Wide including alleged vocalizations, wood knocks, track finds and actual visual sightings for 10 year periods.

1965 - 1974 : 189 Reports

1975 - 1985 : 498 Reports > Increase

1985 - 1994 : 396 Reports > Decrease

1995 - 2004 - 916 Reports > Increase

2005 - 2015 : 1224 Reports > Increase ( Includes extra year of 2015 )

BobbyO, I noticed a couple things in all the reports, you've probably noticed it too. There was an increase of over 100% in the years 75-84. This is just supposition, but that was the time period when all the TV movies and documentaries started showing up after the PGF. Making mainstream America aware of the bigfoot phenomenon.

Then again there was another 100% increase in 95-04. This was when people were gaining wide access to Internet connectivity. The decrease now may be like a passing fad. But that is yet to be seen if that trend continues.

SSR Team

I agree with the 75-84 stuff BigTree yeah and rightly or wrongly, it would probably play some part.

And yes that 95-04 period, or at least from 2002, was the starting spurt of internet usage where 2002 broke the "more than 50% of the population in the US" from a usage perspective (2000 43%, 2001 49%, 2002 59%).

The thing that i find hard to understand is when you add the internet usage, which from 2007 was above 75% of the US Population, and the recent TV Craze (Monster Quest first released in 2007, FB first released in 2011) together, we've then seen decreases in reports.

That doesn't actually make sense.