Has Bigfoot Science Stalled?

georgerm

Yes, Topo maps of the area would be great. To see the terrain and see how the slopes are in the area,the bottle necks and where the game is moving through. Topo maps will show fingers and all the little goodies that these creatures like. If people are getting reaction in these areas then one should be able to sit still on a stand scent free and spot them if sitting in the right area. It would be just like hunting big game, except it would with a camera if you are all worried about about shooting one. But to sit there and to be able to observe them with your own eyes on a travel corrdor would be great if you can hold back on your fear and not move when they come around.

If you believe that they are in a general area then prove to your self that they are there first. Confirm it first by placing a ground blind made of the natural surroundings, or p0lacing a stand as high as you can in a tree and going in scent free so you do not smell human and see if you can get a sighting to confirm your theory. As they say that maps are the hunters best friend in hunting before scouting. Once you find your choke points , saddles , fingers , bottle necks and even those game corridors. You can then access what you plan on doing next. Sneak in and and sneak out is the best approach and it is all about waiting. Taking the time before they actually find you or signs that you have been in their area. Just my opinion, once again my opinion does not mean much.:)

Considering the ungodly stench often associated with sasquatch has anybody considering the downside of this when hunting deer or elk?

Their sense of smell is 500-1,000 times more acute than humans.

Not sure of the consequences, but if bigfoot are half as malodorous as reported, then prey animals likely know to avoid sasquattle and would not have much difficulty in doing so.

Just an observation.

They don't smell all the time.

There's a d cent argument out there that champions the bad smell coming from scent glands like gorillas.

If so, they would have on and off buttons.

And more on this:  http://www.livescience.com/46719-gorillas-use-smell-communication.html

To me it's interesting that sasquatch reports have, more than once, prefigured things we later found out about other primates (e.g., the sasquatch was the first extant primate other than us documented to eat meat).

It would be somewhat enlightening if reports of crossings could be investigated to see which direction the crossings took. It may be something interpolated from "I was traveling West and it crossed from left to right" or, "It was early morning and it was in in full sun at the tree line" which may indicate it was in the North side of the road. Then with knowing the time of year some more deductions (assumptions) could be made. It is these kinds of details that get a bit ignored because when reading the report our minds are focused more on the creature.

This kind of in-depth re-look at a pile of reports will take time of course as most all might need to be reread. But it's those kinds of details that need to be ferreted out and evaluated. Only reading that a Sasquatch was seen crossing Rt. 12 simply isn't good enough other than targeting an area- an area it might not even be staying in but only passing through. Good call on bringing up the I-5 thread BobbyO :) Good reading! 

SSR Team

Here's a cluster map Guys, this is only for Spring however and i can't do any more until the SSR is over its server issues but it's a little something for you to chew on anyway. 

It should be noted that these are Olympic Peninsula and South Cascades numbers only, you'll see that the area under the Olympic Peninsula is missing as i just combined the two for this map specifically.

Of course when the SSR is up and running again i can add that area, along with splitting/combining seasons.

Zoom In/Zoom Out available (top left of the map) for you to look more in depth.

https://squatchermetrics.cartodb.com/viz/f7cb61be-744d-11e5-9e15-0e8c56e2ffdb/map

Edited by BobbyO

SSR Team

It would be somewhat enlightening if reports of crossings could be investigated to see which direction the crossings took. It may be something interpolated from "I was traveling West and it crossed from left to right" or, "It was early morning and it was in in full sun at the tree line" which may indicate it was in the North side of the road. Then with knowing the time of year some more deductions (assumptions) could be made. It is these kinds of details that get a bit ignored because when reading the report our minds are focused more on the creature.

This kind of in-depth re-look at a pile of reports will take time of course as most all might need to be reread. But it's those kinds of details that need to be ferreted out and evaluated. Only reading that a Sasquatch was seen crossing Rt. 12 simply isn't good enough other than targeting an area- an area it might not even be staying in but only passing through. Good call on bringing up the I-5 thread BobbyO :) Good reading! 

I tried doing it before H, close to impossible as there was a huge lack of any detail in the 50 or sample set of reports i looked at when trying to do it.

BFF Patron

Considering the ungodly stench often associated with sasquatch has anybody considering the downside of this when hunting deer or elk?

Not sure of the consequences, but if bigfoot are half as malodorous as reported, then prey animals likely know to avoid sasquattle and would not have much difficulty in doing so.

Just an observation.

The only times I was pretty sure I was in close contact with BF I smelled absolutely nothing.    I cannot think of a time where one approached intentionally that it was not downwind from me.  They seem very careful about that.     Some other times when I was driving a logging road I got the smell but of course not sure whether it was skunk or BF.      The other factor is in the PNW,   if  the odor is excreted in the armpits like some great apes,  when agitated or to repel humans,    the constant rain in the wet months, serves as a like it or not frequent shower and would wash off any residual stink.      In the summer perhaps they actually bath.   If I was covered with fur, in 80 degree weather, I would bathe to cool off and get rid of lice.     Bears do the same thing.  

BFF Patron

Here's a cluster map Guys, this is only for Spring however and i can't do any more until the SSR is over its server issues but it's a little something for you to chew on anyway. 

It should be noted that these are Olympic Peninsula and South Cascades numbers only, you'll see that the area under the Olympic Peninsula is missing as i just combined the two for this map specifically.

Of course when the SSR is up and running again i can add that area, along with splitting/combining seasons.

Zoom In/Zoom Out available (top left of the map) for you to look more in depth.

https://squatchermetrics.cartodb.com/viz/f7cb61be-744d-11e5-9e15-0e8c56e2ffdb/public_map 

Bobby the link in this post does not work for me.   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

SSR Team

How about now from my original post and not the quoted post ?

Edited by BobbyO

I tried doing it before H, close to impossible as there was a huge lack of any detail in the 50 or sample set of reports i looked at when trying to do it.

It's just good for everyone to know that this kind of thinking is and has been followed. And I for one thank you for your efforts in looking into that aspect of things. It does bring to the surface some of the more pertinent questions interviewers hould have and should be asking. In that regard many interviews were rather short sighted and probably done so early in the timeline that pattern movement wasn't even thought of. It seems like most interviewers had a mind set that BF was simply living somewhere in the area and so weren't thinking along the lines of any migratory possibilities. If they had been thinking in such a way then the reports and our knowledge today would be very different. 

Just an observation.

Well, this animal appears to be able to "turn it on and off," and if it can, well:  http://www.livescience.com/46719-gorillas-use-smell-communication.html

Many encounter reports, sure enough, describe no odor.  And on practically every occasion where an odor was reported, the conclusion hinted at in that article would be appropriate.

Edited by DWA

Excellent map work BobbyO! What I immediately see is that most of the sightings are along more populous routes. IMO it skews the reality (if there is such a thing ;) ) but at the same might indicate archetypical pathways that older BF's may have take out of habit before Human development? A newer generation of the creatures may be seeking alternate more covert avenues.

Edited by hiflier

SSR Team

It's just good for everyone to know that this kind of thinking is and has been followed. And I for one thank you for your efforts in looking into that aspect of things. It does bring to the surface some of the more pertinent questions interviewers hould have and should be asking. In that regard many interviews were rather short sighted and probably done so early in the timeline that pattern movement wasn't even thought of. It seems like most interviewers had a mind set that BF was simply living somewhere in the area and so weren't thinking along the lines of any migratory possibilities. If they had been thinking in such a way then the reports and our knowledge today would be very different. 

Absolutely, it's clear that the process simply is nowhere in this regard unfortunately which is a real shame as the probability is that that kind of data is now gone forever as the chances of going back and finding those details are slim to none for lots of reasons.

I will say however that having thought about this for some time back then when i was looking at it, i got to think that having that data would be hugely open for corruption anyway too as we wouldn't necessarily know that Sasquatches would be constantly without fail and moving in any one direction at any one time and that could corrupt theories and conclusions somewhat.

It's much like i've often thought, elevations data on somewhere like the Olympic Peninsula specifaclly, a place where one of these things would have no difficulty in moving 2,000ft or more up or down on any single day because of the type of terrain there.

SSR Team

I just found this one too which could be good for you too, it combines all seasons and can be split by the layers of 5 year periods up to 2015, starting from 1995 up to 2015.

This incorporates all areas too.

Again you can zoom i and out and also turn on and of the time period layers as you wish.

https://squatchermetrics.cartodb.com/viz/9648ce96-8888-11e5-aa20-0e98b61680bf/map 

BFF Patron

There are two road crossing hotspots in the PNW that have frequent sightings.   WA Highway 109 East of Ocean Shores  and I-84 at the mile 27 marker just West of Multnomah Falls.     I suspect the first is BF coming out of the North headed down to the shore to get shell fish.      The I-84 area is quite surprising because it involves the interstate.  But if you look at the location,   there is a draw that goes up into the basalt cliffs of the Columbia gorge to the South where BF can come out of the high country and get down to the Columbia.      On the North Side of the freeway at that mile marker is a fish hatchery.   North of that is an island that sticks well out into the Columbia.     By using that island,  then swimming the rest of the way,  that is the shortest water crossing of the Columbia of anywhere in the region because of all the dams to the East and the fact that the river gets wider and wider as it goes West.        Along with the freeway crossing reports,    there are a few where something is observed swimming the Columbia at night in that area.    If BF migrate state to state, that would be the place to cross the Columbia.    

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

I was looking more at avoiding the Columbia altogether SWWA especially in the Spring when levels and water velocity would be too dangerous for the young ones.. It's why I chose staying North of the Toutle and crossing the I-5 corridor somewhere along that ten mile stretch before Toledo. Also I mentally narrowed it down further by avoiding the large rest area on both sides of the highway. That's when I spotted the two likely areas: one which is a kind of ravine just North of the Toutle/Columbia merge and another further up past the rest area which is a larger and maybe deeper, more secluded way under the highway. It would mean following the ridge on the East side for a few miles to access it though.

After checking I-5 for Human congestion on both sides that ten mile stretch appears to have the least amount of two things- especially on the West side of the highway: people and open spaces. Like I said crossings would be expected but after crossing what is a BF going to encounter in the way of stealth? Something that according to their nature they would seek out when maneuvering from place to place.

I also realized how difficult that would be for them after looking at the highway corridor via Google Earth. From Maine it's the best I can do :(

Edited by hiflier

• masterbarber locked and unpinned this topic