Has Bigfoot Science Stalled?

georgerm

I just found this one too which could be good for you too, it combines all seasons and can be split by the layers of 5 year periods up to 2015, starting from 1995 up to 2015.

This incorporates all areas too.

Again you can zoom i and out and also turn on and of the time period layers as you wish.

https://squatchermetrics.cartodb.com/viz/9648ce96-8888-11e5-aa20-0e98b61680bf/map 

BobbyO, I get an error when I try to link that one. But looking at the previous one you posted, I see two arms of sightings on the Cascade side pointing in the direction of I-5 to the west. The Cowlitz river is one possibility and the other is somewhere just south of Olympia. One thing I do find interesting is that wherever they're crossing I-5 it must be a good spot because they are not being seen close to the freeway except for one spot between Castle Rock and Olympia,just south of Chehalis. That one might be an anomaly.

Hiflier the river the Toutle flows into is the Cowlitz and could be a very good travel corridor from the east. However, it turns south after the I-5 crossing. If they are using that for a crossing point there should be sightings on the parallel roads west of I-5. So far from what I can access of Bobby's data that doesn't appear to be the case. But as I said, wherever they are crossing it appears to be a good spot with little to no sighting data available to support it.

Sorry Georgerm, I know science being discussed here doesn't fit in with the original OP. But as you can see, in various ways it still is moving ahead.

SSR Team

Yep I'm with SWWA on this and those two areas.

The second being the main reason why I felt I had to be able to have the ability to incorporate data from the WA South Casacdes and across the river in to Oregon in the SSR.

I have the ability to do via the labelling I've done when starting to add the Oregon reports like I have.

I believe it's vital to have the ability to combine that data of those two areas because of them crossing the Columbia if we wanted to and we can now..;)

I might suggest that anyone in that area along I-5 check to see if they could get a camera on either side of that highway aiming at those passageways under the road? I know it would be work and time consuming but nothing about this subject isn't- even when dealing with databases. One has to ask themselves if this kind of approach and research is worth it. Wandering around in the woods is one thing; monitoring pinch points is entirely another and so one has to weigh the advantages over the disadvantages. Install a cam and leave it there at least until well into the busy tourist season in the Olympics and possibly beyond. My thinking is that the increased activity in the Olympics will stimulate the exodus to the Cascades where things around Mt St. Helens is more sparse.  Check the cam in September maybe and reinstall it for the winter to watch for seasonal movement back into the Olympics when the temperatures start dropping in the Cascades. If there is a better plan then let's hear it.

As BTW said.....science. But part of scientific thinking involves at least the processes of elimination. Also thank you for the correction on the Cowlitz. I think the density of the habitat east of the highway allows for concealment until the highway undercrossing which would or should ideally then exit to an area providing concealment. It narrows down the choices somewhat anyway for points of ingress and egress to the West side of the road. The density of the population there is very low as well. In any regard though I think there have to be those key elements mentioned in place for the MAJORITY of movement. I don't see it as herds of BF either and I also see it as what generation has what habits engrained. Perhaps the creature is like us where they are resistant and stubborn about learning new ways of doing things. So there are still sightings along older routes. It would be interesting to see if time has changed the normal, ancient routines of travel at all.  

Edited by hiflier

SSR Team

I might suggest that anyone in that area along I-5 check to see if they could get a camera on either side of that highway aiming at those passageways under the road? 

In the Spring..;)

SSR Team

Strange about these links, sorry Guys.

This is the 5 year period clusters with all seasons included - https://squatchermetrics.cartodb.com/viz/9648ce96-8888-11e5-aa20-0e98b61680bf/map

Edited by BobbyO

BFF Patron

As far as the Columbia crossing use Goggle Earth and look for Sand Island on the Columbia.      There is a big draw to the South that allows approach out of the high country.   Cross some flat unpopulated area,  cross I-84, swim a few hundred yards to Sand Island, then it is 1/2 mile swim to the Washington shore of the Columbia.   There is no narrower part of the Columbia anywhere in the region.      Humans swim that all of the time and that exact area is where there have been so me I-84 road crossings in the BFRO website.   From Crown Point you get a good overlook of the river at that point.      Someone wanting to spend the time with a FLIR at night up at Crown Point, could certainly see some BF swimming the river at night if they do it at all frequently.   

One of the I-84 sighting reports was interesting.     A woman and her son, driving West,   had a bigfoot run parallel to the car for a short period of time.    I was apparently an older juvenile and she described it as not well fed.    It seemed as though the BF intentionally ran beside the car on purpose.     Right of passage?   Teenage prank?   Who knows.    It was near the mile 27 marker.  The investigator found a footprint near the road as I recall.     

Yes BobbyO, in the Spring. But it takes a while to travel that distance down from the Olympics to my proposed crossing point below Toledo so if they aren't crossing already they soon would be if that seems like a reasonable point to get from West to East. From there head East along the North side of the Toutle River and back into the Southern Cascades/Mt Abrams/Mt. St. Helens region. As with most things it's only a guess but it is based on not only terrain but covert movement as well along with what's waiting on the other side of I-5 that continues to offer the same advantages.

Also the eruption of Mt. St. Helens in 1980 may have upset any previous southern routes and the northern alternatives were all that was left which is what the younger generations now in their 20's and 30's would have learned.

Edited by hiflier

As far as the Columbia crossing use Goggle Earth and look for Sand Island on the Columbia.      There is a big draw to the South that allows approach out of the high country.   Cross some flat unpopulated area,  cross I-84, swim a few hundred yards to Sand Island, then it is 1/2 mile swim to the Washington shore of the Columbia.   There is no narrower part of the Columbia anywhere in the region.      Humans swim that all of the time and that exact area is where there have been so me I-84 road crossings in the BFRO website.   From Crown Point you get a good overlook of the river at that point.      Someone wanting to spend the time with a FLIR at night up at Crown Point, could certainly see some BF swimming the river at night if they do it at all frequently.   

This is science being done, and don't underrate it.  One has to read the reports, has to, to understand why they should be taken seriously.  So.  Guys in suits do this swim too, all the time?  OK there.  Show me the proof and we're all done here.  No, I'm not staying up for it.

One of the I-84 sighting reports was interesting.     A woman and her son, driving West,   had a bigfoot run parallel to the car for a short period of time.    I was apparently an older juvenile and she described it as not well fed.    It seemed as though the BF intentionally ran beside the car on purpose.     Right of passage?   Teenage prank?   Who knows.    It was near the mile 27 marker.  The investigator found a footprint near the road as I recall.     

That run-beside-the-car is not alone in a genre.  I've read several.  Anyone who thinks the ones I've read are copycatted, or anything of the sort, sure, listen to him tell you why the French government killed JFK.

Edited by DWA

Strange about these links, sorry Guys.

This is the 5 year period clusters with all seasons included - https://squatchermetrics.cartodb.com/viz/9648ce96-8888-11e5-aa20-0e98b61680bf/map

Thanks BobbyO, that last link worked. It also gave me what I needed to see. The sightings on the west side of I-5 right in the area Hiflier is talking about. If you look at where the Cowlitz river crosses under I-5 head northwesterly from there you hit Winlock (seems to be a sighting hotspot). Continue NW through the Willipa Hills. It's pretty much a straight shot to the Greys Harbor area. The sighting clusters, around more populated areas, as would be expected, seem to support that path. Interesting!

By the way, another name for the Toledo area was Cowlitz Landing. Between the Cowlitz and Toutle drainages is wild country all the way into the southern Cascades. A very good corridor for movement.

Edited by BigTreeWalker

oooo baby, BTW. It's looking better all the time. You know for me to just give an opinion about this kind of targeting is fine but I prefer to give reasons for saying why I think what I think. Things have changes in that 40-50 mile North/South stretch drastically since the interstate's construction in the 1960's, on through the heightened logging activities during the 1970,s, and into the eighties in the aftermath of the volcano eruption. This includes more development with larger population sprawl. All of these factors favor a North-of Mt. St. Helems and then West on the North side of the Toutle to the Cowlitz crossing area. Find a low secluded path under the highway and head for the forested areas on the other side.

Those forested areas on the West side of I-5 are limited however which is why the ten mile stretch looked so attractive to me. Also it would make sense that provisions for other animals like deer, Elk, and bear to traverse from one side of the highway to the other and be able to enter wooded areas could have been included in the plan when the interstate was being constructed. It would make sense again that BF would also use these routes. Not so much because of predation but because of safer more covert travel.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

DWA;     "This is science being done, and don't underrate it.  One has to read the reports, has to, to understand why they should be taken seriously.  So.  Guys in suits do this swim too, all the time?  OK there.  Show me the proof and we're all done here.  No, I'm not staying up for it."

Not sure what you are saying since the existing reports just say that something unknown was swimming the river at night.    That could have been any animal capable of swimming any distance.   Even with a FLIR from Crown point it would be difficult to differentiate what is swimming that you observed through the FLIR since most animals only have their head above water swimming.      Only that something was hot and alive swimming the river.   I suspect that if BF swims the river it is a very rare event.    One can spend their lifetime trying to photograph a rare event as many of us are painfully aware.   

As far as humans, they swim a lot further to swim the river.    This 1.1 mile is twice the distance at Sand Island.    http://hoodriver.org/roy-webster-cross-channel-swim/

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Hiflier that's a boots on the ground proposition. I see where you are looking but without seeing what is actually there in the way of culverts it's hard to be sure. Of course there are bridges over both the Toutle and the Cowlitz but both areas are more heavily developed. But as you say there are some other possibilities. As I find the time from my other pursuits I will have to check out accessibility.

Yes, BTW, it certainly is a boots on the ground issue. But a drive on one side of I-5 from Cowlitz Landing up to say the Rogers Rd. overpass, take that exit to navigate the U-turn and go back to the Toutle/Cowlitz might be a good way to see if any positive possibilities exist. I know it is asking anyone a lot to do but short of a drone in the low spots with any culverts large enough to allow such passages I can't see any other way for scouting if it's even a reasonable idea. It may not be as I only have a laptop 3,000 miles aay to even suggest such things.

It probably will take the better part of one day to do anything like that depending on where one is starting out from. I also wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't cameras in the those two rest areas as well. Wonder if anything...uh...interesting....has ever been recorded there. Beyond Human activity I mean. Anyway, thank you, and thank you too BobbyO, for your input on this- love the maps! Again Excellent work, sir.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

Hiflier would aerial photos be of any help?   That can easily be arranged.   Up towards Rogers Road looks a lot less populated.    You interested in places where the freeway could be crossed underneath?.    Drones with the new rules are pretty limited when airports are anywhere within 5 miles.     

Speaking of that sort of thing.    As I did with BTW the other day,   within reason, I am willing to put resources like my airplane towards furthering bigfoot science.     I am in a unique location,   with a unique set of skills.    If anyone in Oregon or Washington thinks that use of an airplane would further their research give me your pitch on PM.   I cannot and will not accept compensation.  The FAA has some strange rules.   Even accepting money for fuel is considered compensation.    But if I think the project has merit,  I am certainly willing to do what I can.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

SWWA, actually that would probably be very informative reconnaissance and also would be a very generous thing to do. It would be the closest thing to at least a feasibility study as from any highway, interstate or not, it's impossible to see more than a couple hundred feet in off the shoulder if one can even see that going 60-70 mph. Sure hills, dips in the terrain and bridge locations are easy but what one needs is a better long range view either side as well as along the route travelled.

Just a quick blast up one side and down the other at some distance away might give a good look at any sizeable passageways where the deeper ravines run beneath the road. To tell you the truth I realistically don't even know if there are any such structures in that stretch of road but it's a fair distance IMO to not have some kind of large animal thoroughfare. After all there is forested areas on both sides even though less so on the west side.

Looking at a combination of west-side habitat coupled with east side access would probably narrow the field so to speak. I could even help out some with fuel if you think you want to take on the task.

• masterbarber locked and unpinned this topic