Would the scientific discovery of Sasquatch revolutionize Paleo Anthropology

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I'm not saying it - scientists are saying it.  

For you "scientific mode" folks - it's published.  And it's generated a lot of interest from DARPA.  The weaponization or alterations to diseases - lots of potential there.

Gee.  Ever seen a kid who's father was a really fine musician - and the kid wasn't interested.  Turns 14, sits down to a piano and in two weeks is playing it like he's been doing it all his life - picks up a clarinet or guitar, or bass, and can play them all?

Or a master mechanic's kid.  Doesn't work with his dad, but at age 12, pulls and rebuilds a rear end, and is a natural mechanic?  And we'd wonder how he picked it up so fast - even though his dad didn't teach him squat?

Well.  Proteins.  It sure as Hades wasn't genetic.

Kind of changes things.

• Upvote 1

Far archer- you can really rule out potential influence or contribution in such contexts of DNA, as it is the means by which predispositions or fundamental capacities for such abilities is passed on to the next generation. What made the master musician father able to attain such lofty levels of his craft? Does he come from a long line of "gifted" musicians, going all the way back to the best "stickist/log beater" of the troop, pounding out the rhythms as they descended from the trees? Or did he train and develop an ability discovered at one point or another during his life, finding he had a knack for it that most others did not,  and built upon this, and through a sort of positive feedback loop, his diligent practicing brought forth more of his gift, or underlying predisposition for one or more aspect of advancing musicianship (manual dexterity, abstract visualization, the ability to translate emotive states into musical expression, mathematics, etc) this interconnection of neural groups will be ordered, mapped, laid down, and wired up(so to speak...) in accord to what the individuals DNA dictates for the phenotypic construction and systematic pathways. As for his son that suddenly shows progressed ability, seemingly out of the blue, I would think it is mostly the result of the parents predispositions coupled with a lifetimes(from conception on..) exposure  to people playing music around him. Sure ...there could easily be much much more to it, but DNA does play a role..after all, it at least governs the formation of fingers....

When you speak of proteins, are you referring to those one has ingested or those originating from one's own person?

As for prions, those are what s responsible for mad cow disease and a similar disorder found in some of the tribes of new guinea that practice cannibalism. Nasty business, that one....

11 hours ago, guyzonthropus said:

Far archer- you can really rule out potential influence or contribution in such contexts of DNA, as it is the means by which predispositions or fundamental capacities for such abilities is passed on to the next generation. What made the master musician father able to attain such lofty levels of his craft? Does he come from a long line of "gifted" musicians, going all the way back to the best "stickist/log beater" of the troop, pounding out the rhythms as they descended from the trees? Or did he train and develop an ability discovered at one point or another during his life, finding he had a knack for it that most others did not,  and built upon this, and through a sort of positive feedback loop, his diligent practicing brought forth more of his gift, or underlying predisposition for one or more aspect of advancing musicianship (manual dexterity, abstract visualization, the ability to translate emotive states into musical expression, mathematics, etc) this interconnection of neural groups will be ordered, mapped, laid down, and wired up(so to speak...) in accord to what the individuals DNA dictates for the phenotypic construction and systematic pathways. As for his son that suddenly shows progressed ability, seemingly out of the blue, I would think it is mostly the result of the parents predispositions coupled with a lifetimes(from conception on..) exposure  to people playing music around him. Sure ...there could easily be much much more to it, but DNA does play a role..after all, it at least governs the formation of fingers....

When you speak of proteins, are you referring to those one has ingested or those originating from one's own person?

As for prions, those are what s responsible for mad cow disease and a similar disorder found in some of the tribes of new guinea that practice cannibalism. Nasty business, that one....

That's not what the determinations apparently are when it comes to proteins and prions.  In fact, it's entirely possible that pharmaceutical companies have inadvertently created additional diseases and adverse health conditions inadvertently.

According to the research, you can even breath them in - so maybe the kid didn't want anything to do with music, but living in close proximity - acquired some of his father's exhaled prions.  

Bottom line: you have your DNA and you have your protein/prion biological "memories," and an alteration to your environment may dictate whether DNA You, or Prion You assumes ascendance.

This could possibly explain some "differences" in different geographical concentrations of critters.  Why Appalacian Yahoos have different calls and behavior characteristics from the Pacific Northwest Sasquatch, from the six-finger, six-toe East Texas critters, from the Louisiana Rugaru.  Exchange of prions common to the local population combined with differing local environment.

Or not. 

Ok, so within your model, these traits or memories are contained within the "proteins and prions"..how are these memories encoded? What form of data storage is available in this context? What codes proteins to form how, when and where they do?

Who knows, maybe all things are actually transmitted by as of yet undetected virus/bacteria which may require long term interaction/exposure to build up to a point where such transference occurs...

You know, it's been stated that out of every ten pounds of "human" only one pound of it is really us, the rest being comprised of other organisms and various colonies thereof....so, essentially we're walking reefs..now, who's to say which element is really in control of the whole operation? Do different species form multi-species factions which  work for mutually beneficial ends, doing battle with other organism complexes that would more fully thrive should another balance be found? Is our consciousness the self determined singular entity we tend to view it as, or is our perception and interaction of/with reality more of a process by committee with the different "board members" vying for influence and a majority  vote while what we think of as our persona sits outside the boardroom waiting for the next press release?

The trouble is, that until one attains cellular awareness and communication with every cell in ones body, you can never really know the ultimate truth of it, no matter how many times you tell yourself "it's only me in here, and I'm really in charge!" As that doesn't prove or change a thing...

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Inject Bigfoot with prions and perhaps he will be singing operas and performing brain surgery in no time?

Ya know...within the model of prions as airborne vectors of knowledges/abilities, who's to say that the BF's aren't undergoing a dramatic shift in their perspectives/lifestyles/ or perhaps even their very existence as the levels of atmospheric prions continues to escalate in accord with our own population explosion, effectively saturating the environment, and thereby impacting any creature with predisposition s for rapid expansion of awareness.

Couple this ever rising prion saturation with the exponential growth of our species' accumulated knowledge, conceptual ability, and talent for the application of such(the very essence, within this .model, . of that which prions transfer or bestow) and I'd bet there's bound to be some really really tall critters, with a bunch of fur all over, thinking they're feeling pretty bright as of late, that maybe the neighbours aren't so bad, "heck, one way or another, they're small enough to eat if they prove unruly.." and while not sure just what it really is, they sense they need to "get cable"....

And then that brings up another aspect...I somehow doubt that, if these prions are indeed such vectors,  they are distributing sublime musicianship and mechanical acumen by choice or with the awareness of what they carry and what will result, (unless the model incorporates prions as the manifestation of  divine nature, and of that's the case,well...this will get rather convoluted or pointless...) and that leads to the disquieting realization that if that's how they work, undirected, then there is nothing preventing them from spreading deleterious elements, the ratio of which would  depend primarily on  the natures of the predominant elements found where ever the prions "pick up new riders". I'd say if that's the case, we're really screwed....though it would/could explain quite a bit concerning the state of our society...

Changes in the local environment will not immediately alter genetic characteristics, but prions and protein memories just may.

Wild hogs are pretty much domestic hogs that got loose.  There were a few wild hogs imported for hunting purposes, but most wild hogs in the US are feral hogs over a few generations - turned wild hogs.

It cuts both ways.  You can capture wild hogs, feed and take care of them, and they lose their hair, gain weight, and start to look like other domestic hogs.  Or, a domestic hog once in the wild, will start to get tougher skin, more hair, leaner, and tusks will grow over a few months - enabling them to alter to their new environment.

Prion/protein modifying of biological entities - to match their environment - that exists in the prion/protein memory.

Lots to ponder. 

Edited by FarArcher

Oh great. Do I have to share my smores now over a campfire that a BF built? Or risk life and limb running down a forest path while being mowed down by three BF's with their new fangled WHEELED cart bearing down on my butt? If I ever see one with a rifle slung over its shoulder wearing face paint then I'll KNOW they've turned the evolutionary corner and we skins are in deep poo.

Edited by hiflier

8 hours ago, hiflier said:

Oh great. Do I have to share my smores now over a campfire that a BF built? Or risk life and limb running down a forest path while being mowed down by three BF's with their new fangled WHEELED cart bearing down on my butt? If I ever see one with a rifle slung over its shoulder wearing face paint then I'll KNOW they've turned the evolutionary corner and we skins are in deep poo.

Ah.

But that's the point.

These things in THEIR world - have refined those elements they need specifically to meet their particular needs - in their environment - where they have no use for wheels, fire, agriculture, or condoms.

20 hours ago, FarArcher said:

Ah.

But that's the point.

These things in THEIR world - have refined those elements they need specifically to meet their particular needs - in their environment - where they have no use for wheels, fire, agriculture, or condoms.

Point noted. So as long as we keep our prions to ourselves then Sasquatch won't be getting to college via affirmative action ;) 

But I have to agree they OWN the habitat- without the wheel. We don't own the habitat (anymore) so we NEED the wheel- and even that probably doesn't level the playing field for most of us.

@ GZ, ORRRRRR if it goes the other way......we will no longer know that there is a use for our fire and wheel ;) 

Edited by hiflier

I would think, within this model, that they'd flow both ways given sufficient similarity of receptors, which could be a real detriment to either species or form....

Who knows, after all, that would explain hifliers man-bear.....

Well, the scientific discovery of sasquatch has already happened.

That we are still discussing this as if it hasn't is the precise equivalent of a jury demanding to see the murder performed before it or else, not guilty.  The evidence makes it abundantly clear that there is no way any other proposed cause of all of this consistent evidence has any more chance of being the case than Venus having crashed into Earth in 1956 only no one noticed.  If you disagree with this you are not adequately informed on the topic.  And that is all.  Please do not bother disagreeing with me on this.  I am not arguing with you. You will not get a response, because what you will say, I have already answered here, times beyond counting.  No matter what you say, someone else has (wrongly) said it.

A scientist has written a book totally agreeing with me, showing all homework and making a compelling case...which remains utterly unaddressed.  He is not the only scientist to have done so; he is just the only one who has explicitly said - and shown - that he did it.

One of the world's reigning experts in costume effects has proven Patty genuine.  No.  PROVEN.

I am not arguing with you.

So.  How will sasquatch change science when all the people not paying attention are finally shown that they weren't?

Simple.  It won't change science at all.  It will teach those not practicing it what it is, and to pay better attention.  Let's hope the lesson takes.  Because this is the thousandth time, at least, that it's been taught in the history of science.

Edited by DWA
coz

Yep, EVERYONE is ignorant, not paying attention, and doesn't read. You say not to disagree with you so of course I WILL disagree. Mostly because I can imagine your diatribe steps on a few toes. Mainly because if no one agrees with YOU they are again, ignorant, not paying attention, or don't read. Cute. A bit inflammatory.....but cute. 

Edited by hiflier