Would the scientific discovery of Sasquatch revolutionize Paleo Anthropology

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

This is an article from Science Daily written about 11 years ago. The article is about Gigantopithicus so nothing in it will be anything new to most of us. But in keeping somewhat close to the topic what is of interest is the source of the study- McMasters University. It will be going on a list of.....well, you know.

On 10/21/2016 at 5:42 PM, DWA said:

...  This guy told Grover Krantz that the foot of the animal he killed in western WA was particularly interesting...and went on to describe the precise structure Krantz had theorized would be necessary for a biped that big....

DWA,

Do you have a reference for that? I have a book by Krantz, but not having read it for years, I don't remember what is in it.

Thanks

2 hours ago, DWA said:

Excerpt:

"In addition, at least two eye-witnesses have added some confirmation to this reconstruction. Roger Patterson has told me his sasquatch appeared to have remarkably thick ankles, although this did not show clearly in his movie strip. If the leg is set relatively farther forward on the foot than in man, then a thick ankle is a consequence. The man who claims to have shot and killed a sasquatch in northeast Washington early in 1970 described the foot to me in some detail. He was most impressed by the relatively short and steeply sloped upper surface of the forefoot.

All good quality bigfoot prints must have been made by one or the other of two possible agencies. Either they are real footprints of a gigantic sub-human primate, or else they are faked as a hoax. (Only very vague prints could be confused with those of bears.)"

Grover S. Krantz

A lot of people have reactions most of us wouldn't expect.  (I remember one Ontario witness on the BFRO site specifically saying that you won't react the way most people think you would.)  One witness - can't remember if this one was BFRO or NAWAC - was an elderly lady who stopped her car; rolled down her window; and said:  Well, you really are real, aren't you.

For this guy to shoot one and then come up and inspect it like that, he probably wasn't put off at all by what most of us might consider the more compelling details.

Edited by DWA

Good article, I remember reading that before but had somehow forgot about the guy that shot one.

I love the old lady's quote!

3 hours ago, DWA said:

For this guy to shoot one and then come up and inspect it like that, he probably wasn't put off at all by what most of us might consider the more compelling details.

Edited 3 hours ago by DWA

The report makes no sense. The probably part isn't working very well. Even if a guy has shot 50 bears and sees how different this :"bear" is should be full of wonder about more than a foot. Evidently this Sasquatch was traveling solo?

Evidently not, Inc1. 

Speaking of which do any members here live in the beautiful state of Tennessee? It seems to be a bit difficult to search around in your library system as an out-of-stater so I though maybe a Tennessean might do a little research Into some newspaper archives. If you do then I PROMISE to go into a rant on.......well it's a secret so I'll keep it as a surprise ;)

Edited by hiflier

Was that the guy that was out on thanksgiving day shot one then another larger one came and took it up an embankment/cliff face?

Or was that after Dr Krantz' time?

14 hours ago, hiflier said:

Evidently not, Inc1. 

Speaking of which do any members here live in the beautiful state of Tennessee? It seems to be a bit difficult to search around in your library system as an out-of-stater so I though maybe a Tennessean might do a little research Into some newspaper archives. If you do then I PROMISE to go into a rant on.......well it's a secret so I'll keep it as a surprise ;)

What part of TN are you looking for info about?

Hi TritonTr1956, Lafollette in Campbell County. Specifically newspapers covering November 11-14, 2003.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
On 10/26/2016 at 7:46 PM, MikeZimmer said:

Excerpt:

"In addition, at least two eye-witnesses have added some confirmation to this reconstruction. Roger Patterson has told me his sasquatch appeared to have remarkably thick ankles, although this did not show clearly in his movie strip. If the leg is set relatively farther forward on the foot than in man, then a thick ankle is a consequence. The man who claims to have shot and killed a sasquatch in northeast Washington early in 1970 described the foot to me in some detail. He was most impressed by the relatively short and steeply sloped upper surface of the forefoot.

All good quality bigfoot prints must have been made by one or the other of two possible agencies. Either they are real footprints of a gigantic sub-human primate, or else they are faked as a hoax. (Only very vague prints could be confused with those of bears.)"

Grover S. Krantz

So, what happened to his "type specimen"?