Olympic Peninsula Nesting Area Update

BobbyO

Thank you, 7.62, for lessening the snark level. Bravo. Some really fragile egos, hereabout. ITGs notwithstanding.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 7.62 said:

I respect your opinion but disagree

I have no issue with that. I expect that from most of the membership here. Many seem incapable of agreeing to disagree and would rather wrestle in the mud instead. Admittedly, I will respond in kind eventually and then things become a total waste of time for everyone. 

That my opinion differs from most people here does not mean I should feel less free to express it as often as I want. DWA repeats himself far more often than I do.  I should have the same freedom to counter his nonsense as often as I like (as long as we remain within the rules).

12 hours ago, dmaker said:

I have no issue with that. I expect that from most of the membership here. Many seem incapable of agreeing to disagree and would rather wrestle in the mud instead. Admittedly, I will respond in kind eventually and then things become a total waste of time for everyone. 

That my opinion differs from most people here does not mean I should feel less free to express it as often as I want. DWA repeats himself far more often than I do.  I should have the same freedom to counter his nonsense as often as I like (as long as we remain within the rules).

The worse thing that can happen to a forum is an  echo chamber . I'm fine debating anyone that doesn't believe or has strong doubts about the creatures existence .

• Upvote 1

That's my point.  We have an echo chamber in bigfootery, YES and NO reverberating off the walls endlessly, the NO never coming up with anything that means anything, and nothing going anywhere.

There is no echo chamber when everybody says MAYBE and follows the evidence where it leads.  But only one side in this discussion has any; the other side doesn't understand what the word means.

23 minutes ago, DWA said:

That's my point.  We have an echo chamber in bigfootery, YES and NO reverberating off the walls endlessly, the NO never coming up with anything that means anything, and nothing going anywhere.

There is no echo chamber when everybody says MAYBE and follows the evidence where it leads.  But only one side in this discussion has any; the other side doesn't understand what the word means.

I'm fairly new to this subject so I can't really comment on the many research reports because I haven't read them like you have.

I can say with conviction that the man , my friend who did have an encounter was not lying to me nor was the 100's of photos he took over the 5 year period  imaginary ,  or  random

tree falls and structures .  As a side note the activity started every year around spring time and would end in the fall.

Another thing that he told me that is going to sound so cliché   by me posting it.  When he put out game cameras the activity stopped . He said he was not able to catch anything on a game camera . I might  get heckled by posting this  but he told me the truth .

Edited by 7.62

Well, you know, studies have shown that the alpha *coyote* of a territory avoids camera traps.  Sure the vagabonds moving through show up on cameras, they don't know the digs.  But the resident, he does, and he never shows up on the cam after it goes up.  Not too surprising; that is a locus of human activity; not being in a predictable location like around a household or livestock, it probably looks/acts like hunter activity; and the resident avoids the spot after.

And not knowing the habits of this thing, we have a hard time figuring out where they'll be when.  Which can seriously affect the results you get from game cams.

7 minutes ago, DWA said:

Well, you know, studies have shown that the alpha *coyote* of a territory avoids camera traps.  Sure the vagabonds moving through show up on cameras, they don't know the digs.  But the resident, he does, and he never shows up on the cam after it goes up.  Not too surprising; that is a locus of human activity; not being in a predictable location like around a household or livestock, it probably looks/acts like hunter activity; and the resident avoids the spot after.

And not knowing the habits of this thing, we have a hard time figuring out where they'll be when.  Which can seriously affect the results you get from game cams.

good points , I'm still trying with my thermal camera I purchased just for this reason . I've gone out a few times already  on my nights  off  in a remote lake close to where he had his encounter . These things have to drink an enormous amount of water in the summer months . I cruise the shore line with a trolling motor , who knows ?

I'll say that it is creepy doing it though . The woods never really bothered me before at night until I started do this.

:D

And you know?  Not sure what to say about that.  I only figure:  they haven't bothered me *so* far...:ph34r::huh::o

But having had a bear of uncertain intent like *right outside* my tent more than once, clearly trying to figure out what he wanted to do with me, maybe I'm a little too focused on the stuff I have actually run into.  All I can say is what Ed Abbey did:  it ain't wilderness if something out there can't eat you!

And quite a few people have had their sightings from boats, and I mean *quite* a few. 

Edited by DWA

We have an abundance of black bears here and they pretty much leave people alone  until some fool decides he likes taking pictures of them in his back yard

so he starts feeding them on a regular basis  .Then they lose any fear they have of humans . I had one 3 years ago walking around in my back yard midmorning then off to the neighbors going after his bird feeder and garbage can.

That officially sucks.  I've had to deal with two that went that route, one black and one grizzly, and it's real nervous time because nothing that normally puts them to flight works, and you just have to stand your ground and hope.  And of course in the end it sucks worst for the bear.

BFF Patron
On 6/6/2017 at 1:50 PM, scottv said:

Mountain lion population estimates have been made by back tracking in the winter (snow) and collecting hair samples, for DNA, on the track line. Has anyone tried to back tracking any of the snow track ways? Or any track way for that matter?

https://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/41247

Mountain lions,  bears and wolves,  have given me no evidence they care much about where they leave footprints.    One would think cats would be fussy about mud but I have not seen that.    On the other hand I have seen BF going to great lengths to minimize or avoid leaving footprints.      I cannot say if they understand they can be tracked from footprints or are just smart or fussy enough to know how to avoid muddy feet.      Could be either,   but the bottom line is that I do not think trackling methods used on other animals to determine populations would work with BF if they knowingly avoid leaving prints.      

Except in snow....

I think it's been prove other great Apes are "self aware", so I would assume Bigfoot is.

But in winter you have no choice but to leave tracks. There are tactics you can do to minimize your exposure.....but the problem will never go away.

Summer time is a whole different matter.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:33 PM, FarArcher said:

Again, the ignorance of how things actually work in the real world is staggering.  A perfect example of why I think incest should be illegal.

LOL, did you just call Dmaker an inbred?

• masterbarber pinned this topic
  • masterbarber unpinned this topic