Olympic Peninsula Nesting Area Update

BobbyO

On 6/25/2017 at 8:03 AM, BobbyO said:

................... Recently, members of the Olympic Project, a group of citizen scientist investigators in Washington state, became aware of multiple ground nests of distinctive construction, yielding hairs of an unknown hominoid. Expert opinion is that these unusual nest were not made by bears. This seemed to be an ideal situation for an eDNA survey.

Read More - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sasquatch-nests-edna-study-science#/ 

Can you direct me to the report leading to the claim of unknown hominid?

Thanks

17 hours ago, Night Walker said:

What exactly did Disotell say to "dis" Bigfoot?\

I don't recall his exact words, but he was seemingly drunk off his a$$ on a podcast ridiculing the whole notion of bigfoot with his scoffing podcast hosts.   I've been looking for a link.  It was posted here on BFF at one time, there's where I first saw it.   I haven't been able to find it again.   Perhaps someone else will have better luck, has linked it and will share, or something like that.

He isn't called "Dis-n-tell" by accident.  I would not trust Disotell based on the behavior and biases he displayed.  I would not want his name, his behavior, attached to my "find."   If I had DNA work to do, it would go elsewhere.   

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 1

Like Melba Ketchum?

I would send my DNA evidence to the most ardent scofftic jerk, I could find. If it passes muster? It must be good.

Admin
On 6/11/2017 at 9:29 AM, dmaker said:

It's not other people's work. It's you supporting your own claim. But don't worry, no else expects you to actually support your own claim. Just sit back all smug and pretend you're not reading these messages. 

The argument dmaker, attack the argument...

40 minutes ago, MIB said:

I don't recall his exact words, but he was seemingly drunk off his a$$ on a podcast ridiculing the whole notion of bigfoot with his scoffing podcast hosts.   I've been looking for a link.  It was posted here on BFF at one time, there's where I first saw it.   I haven't been able to find it again.   Perhaps someone else will have better luck, has linked it and will share, or something like that.

He isn't called "Dis-n-tell" by accident.  I would not trust Disotell based on the behavior and biases he displayed.  I would not want his name, his behavior, attached to my "find."   If I had DNA work to do, it would go elsewhere.   

MIB

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sasquatch-nests-edna-study-science#/

"My colleague Dr. Todd Disotell, a molecular anthropologist at New York University, has remained open-minded about the possible existence of sasquatch and has analyzed tissue samples of interest in the past. Dr. Disotell, who first suggested to me the prospects of eDNA as a tool to get at this perplexing objective, has agreed to conduct the surveys this Fall once funding is secured." -- Dr. Jeff Meldrum

Edit: before accusing someone (least of all a recognized, respected scientist / researcher) of being "drunk off their ass," you may wish to actually have a link or proof in hand. Just sayin'. You've made a number of inflammatory accusations, of late. Hiflier might attest.

Edited by Incorrigible1

Guest OntarioSquatch

Dr. Disotell is disenchanted, but it's in a reasonable way that I personally think is understandable. He's not some denialist. 

Guest Cricket
On 6/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, norseman said:

It's something.... and it's interesting. Would like to know what produced the hair if not a Bigfoot.

But it's not a smoking gun, no.

It is interesting.  I watched a couple videos by an individual named Rick Dakotah, the first two of a series called Woods People.  I have no idea who he is, but in both videos he finds large quantities of hair.  In the first video he filmed gobs of light colored or white hair, supposedly in situ.  He says he later returned to the site and all the hair had been cleaned away except some clumps on a couple logs, which he retrieved.  The hair looks to have been cut.  He found a piece of broken bottle jammed in the ground nearby and hypothesizes that the bottle fragment was used to cut the hair.  In the second video he shows a box full of dark, very long, wavy hair, some of which is matted with what he calls 'dung.'  He doesn't indicate the location where he films all of this, which is problematic, and in the second film he blocks some footage that he claims involves 'signs' he receives from the BF he is tracking.  That is both problematic and annoying.  Maybe someone here knows more about this person.  I was trying to identify what kind of hair he says he found, and could not come up with any animals that might match it.  Some of the white hair clumps have darker tips.  A hoaxer I suppose could acquire hair from a hair salon's trash, but the quantity of white hair he films strewn about would require hair cuts from an army of little white haired old ladies with the same textured hair in order to pull off.  The darker, longer, wavy hair was also abundant, but could have been more easily acquired from someone's hair cut.  Neither instance really looked human, however, because of the coarseness.  Dakotah includes some strangeness about there being two different populations of these Woods People; one that seems to be a BF and the other he calls 'the little people.'  But even so, his films have caught my attention because of the unusual (to me, anyway) high altitude bone/partial carcass assemblages he films at a location in the second video, about a dozen skulls and limb elements from a variety of mammals, ranging from a small deer to a donkey or burro, and in various states of decay.  At any rate, if anyone is familiar with this series and has any information about the film maker or what he says he's found, please let let me know. 

Guest Cricket

That does look like it, thanks.  The quantity of all-white fur in the video was striking, but I see from a search that they can be albino or piebald/calico which would leave a larger amount of single color fur, or almost single color.  So what kind of predator would be responsible for the bone/carcass assemblage or area of the second video?  Something that leaves the heads and lower segments of the limbs?  And is it typical for predators to bring larger kills like deer or burros to one area for consumption?  Or is that an artifact of the trails that the prey frequent, and not the result of the predator bringing them there from elsewhere?  Are there feral burros or donkeys out in higher altitude wilderness regions?  Or are they generally domesticated?  The very long, wavy to curly dark hair of the second video is hard to identify.  Horse tail hair comes to mind, but I've never seen a horse with a tail that looks like it was set on ladies' hair rollers.  I suppose I'll take the bait and watch the remaining Woods People videos, but they aren't included with Amazon Prime so it will be a while before I see them all.  

OK, so some horse can have fairly curly, wavy manes and tails: 76eacfab6bd1aa71eb8e1b385afac149--black-

Have to be careful when looking at horse "Glamour Shots"   There are folks who spend as much time/effort/money doing a horse's mane and tail for show as you'll find in any hair salon.

Guest Cricket

Indeed!  Thanks.  I am not familiar with horse types so maybe someone who is can say if there are any who have naturally wavy/curly hair.

10 hours ago, Cricket said:

It is interesting.  I watched a couple videos by an individual named Rick Dakotah, the first two of a series called Woods People.  I have no idea who he is, but in both videos he finds large quantities of hair.  In the first video he filmed gobs of light colored or white hair, supposedly in situ.  He says he later returned to the site and all the hair had been cleaned away except some clumps on a couple logs, which he retrieved.  The hair looks to have been cut.  He found a piece of broken bottle jammed in the ground nearby and hypothesizes that the bottle fragment was used to cut the hair.  In the second video he shows a box full of dark, very long, wavy hair, some of which is matted with what he calls 'dung.'  He doesn't indicate the location where he films all of this, which is problematic, and in the second film he blocks some footage that he claims involves 'signs' he receives from the BF he is tracking.  That is both problematic and annoying.  Maybe someone here knows more about this person.  I was trying to identify what kind of hair he says he found, and could not come up with any animals that might match it.  Some of the white hair clumps have darker tips.  A hoaxer I suppose could acquire hair from a hair salon's trash, but the quantity of white hair he films strewn about would require hair cuts from an army of little white haired old ladies with the same textured hair in order to pull off.  The darker, longer, wavy hair was also abundant, but could have been more easily acquired from someone's hair cut.  Neither instance really looked human, however, because of the coarseness.  Dakotah includes some strangeness about there being two different populations of these Woods People; one that seems to be a BF and the other he calls 'the little people.'  But even so, his films have caught my attention because of the unusual (to me, anyway) high altitude bone/partial carcass assemblages he films at a location in the second video, about a dozen skulls and limb elements from a variety of mammals, ranging from a small deer to a donkey or burro, and in various states of decay.  At any rate, if anyone is familiar with this series and has any information about the film maker or what he says he's found, please let let me know. 

Cricket, that's a very good find. I haven't thought about Rick Dakotah in a long time, but he definitely has a lot of activity going on. He has gone out with other people, so his location IS known to some. (I know the general area he's in, but can't remember whether I'm supposed to know it or not, so I will not disclose it.) It can be extremely dangerous to disclose your location. Some have allowed people to come to their locations and been beaten to within an inch of their lives by their "guests". Others were not so lucky..... Rick Dakotah is heavily armed much of the time (or at least, he was around the time the videos you mention were made), so obviously security is an issue for him -- and for good reason, as I say. 

He's also an accomplished outdoors person. I would recommend not taking the word of anyone who has not been at his site over his own (on the subject of what he has found, that is -- and your own research has already confirmed that something is up. Good on you!).

Your instincts about him are good. Hope you get to enjoy more of his videos.

P.S. He goes by the name "Realityghost" on YouTube, so you shouldn't have to wait for anything to show up on Amazon Prime.... I just checked, and he has tons of videos up still on that channel.

Edited by LeafTalker

Guest Cricket

Hi LeafTalker!  Thanks for the additional information, I appreciate it!  I will check out the YouTube videos, for sure.  My own view is that I am an affable agnostic on the issue because I am not in a position to find out first hand, one way or another.  I live near areas of occasional sightings, but I don't spend a lot of time in those places, at least any more than driving through the mountains to get to major cities or populations centers.  I will consider whatever I see or read about.  I think it is just good practice to be open to things, but also to try and falsify, which is standard in science.  Very disturbing that there are people who would try to harm those who are just out exploring the world, regardless of the existence or nonexistence of any creature.  

BFF Patron
13 hours ago, MIB said:

MIB

I watched the dynamics of the show and had the feeling that the results were being manipulated by the producers.     They had purchased a Lloyds of London policy to cover the 10 million prize.     I got the impression that if they got worried about someone being successful, they simply changed the venue.    Throw people from all over the country into unknown locations but do not give them time to get the lay of the land and you are pretty much assured that no one will succeed.      The producers would be the big loosers if they had to pay out the 10 million.    The show would have been a financial disaster for them.    Disotell was being paid to be there by the producers.     One would think that there would be some understanding between him and the producers that it had to be very difficult to prove existence.    In other words the deck was stacked from day one.   Stacy Brown submitted a DNA sample towards the end of the show.    He was told that it was something other than BF after it was analyzed.       He was on the team given a cash prize at the end for being the most successful contestants.    He asked for the sample back and the producers refused to provide it.    Why would they not give it back?      

• masterbarber pinned this topic
  • masterbarber unpinned this topic